Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Rbernst929
10-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Fuel filler cap refused to open at gas station. I used a credit card to pry it open. Would a spray of WD40 help the mechanism, or does anyone have any home made fixes before I resort to dealer? Thanks. -Bob.

costap
10-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Weird, I just had to have mine broken off by the dealer. It seemed to have been cross threaded on.

Rbernst929
10-27-2008, 02:10 PM
I am sorry.. i didnt mean the cap.. i meant the outside fuel door. -Bob.

Hamlen
10-30-2008, 10:54 AM
I thought my filler door was erratic. Then I discovered that by pressing the center of the door, rather than the rear edge, it works every time. The slight flex in the door releases the catch. Maybe there's something wrong with mine, but it works.

Jim
11-22-2008, 01:27 PM
I have have the sticky door situation also - I will try pushing in the center of the door. the biggest problem though is that I have also had the gas cap go on cross threaded twice now and had to take it to the dealer - they break it to get it off and have replaced the cap twice. Not good. The dealer says they have checked with factory to see if there is a design flaw but the factory has not responded yet.

Jagular
11-22-2008, 02:20 PM
It requires only a partial turn to unscrew but requires a few turns to replace and tighten. This is unusual and I think it may be too easy to attempt to unscrew it too aggressively. When you unscrew it you need to use only the partial turn as if it uses a bayonet style fitting.

tdimar
01-06-2009, 11:30 AM
The fuel filler door has what they refer to as an "actuator" that allows for the door to release. This sometimes fails and can be replaced by the dealer at no charge.

Gabriel
01-08-2009, 11:13 AM
for new XF owners. Push about 2" from the edge of opening. It will time out if you don't open it correctly after 4 trys. You have to let it sit for a few then try again. (why have a time out???)

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index