Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

cousinavi7
02-07-2009, 05:18 AM
Hello all,

I helped my girlfriend buy a used car from a private party tonight. Its friday night and we bought it after insurance companies had closed. She called in the car to the 24-hr car insurance hotline and they quoted a ball-park quote, but said she should talk to her old agent on monday. No vin number, no policy was issued.

My girlfriend wrecked her previous car 7 months ago and has been without car since. (meaning she doesn't currently have insurance with anyone) (when she called, she was speaking to her old agent, 7months ago)

So... we bought the used car tonight and decided to drive it home across the city to her parents house till we sorted out her insurance. Sure enough a trigger happy police officer pulled her over. She had proof of the sale including Title, and Bill of sale on her.

The cop STILL issued a ticket for having no proof of insurance. He says if her story checks out about calling the insurance agency, then they may drop the charges.

Is there any advice on what to do? There's no proof of her call to the insurance agent because a policy wasn't written. Looking back, we wish we would have called before driving anywhere, but hindsight is 20/20.

I have heard talk that there is a grace period because you had the "intent to insure".. is this true? How do we prove that? We are in the state of Colorado.

Thanks! any advice would be helpful!!

jim
03-07-2009, 02:07 AM
You only have a "grace" period if you already have a car insurance agent. For instance, if you have Progressive, Allstate, what ever, and have a policy with them with another vehicle, then a new car purchace (or used of course) is automatically covered under their policy so you don't have to put the new vehicle on the policy before you buy it.

Sadly there isn't any "grace" period if you don't have car insurance already, which seems like your current problem. The police officer only knows you don't have proof of insurance, sorry hes just doing his job, and in this case, you don't have insurance.

So if your girlfriend has a car policy already with another car, or is on her parents policy, etc she's ok. If not, then sorry, she didn't have insurance, proof of insurance, not good. They probably won't do much when she goes to court, but she NEEDS to go to court since you can get hefty penalties with having no insurance. She needs to go so you can lessen or get the charges dropped. Which probably will happen since she has the proof of the recent car purchance.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index