Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

akahmed
02-10-2009, 10:32 PM
My Service Engine Soon light came on when I started my car on way back from work today. At first the car started idling. The exhaust was not smooth, sounded like it was missing a lot. Even after warming up for a while it stayed the same. Service manual said I should be able to drive but need to get it checked soon. So I started driving and felt like engine did not have much power. While at rest it would rev up easily, and at high revs the exhaust also sounded smoother, but when i started driving it accelerated quite slowly. I had to change gear much quicker cuz it didn't give power much longer after changing gears. I managed to drive at between 55-65 in 5th gear and made it back. I drove the car after 2 weeks. It was parked outside during the snow storm, and extreme cold temps last couple of weeks. Also my fuel level was very low when i was driving back today. Can't imagine these two things having any impact though. The car was perfectly fine this morning.

Anyone ever face anything similar?

Al

6-speed LSB Coupe.
02/02 build.

akahmed
02-11-2009, 11:25 AM
catalytic converters need replacement. Anywhere I can get this done cheapere??

Dyavalon
02-11-2009, 12:59 PM
My car had the exact same symptoms with 2 bad coils. They were intermittently a problem. Loss of power. Stumbling. Code (didn't have a reader at that time to know what the code number was).

Dealer replaced for free said coils have lifetime warranty.

Dyavalon
02-11-2009, 12:59 PM

akahmed
02-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Princeton, NJ

akahmed
02-11-2009, 01:15 PM

akahmed
02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
It's been on since yesterday evening. Checked this morning and same problem, exhaust is making slow machine gun type sound. Also there's a sound coming from under the car, seems to be from somewhere on the exhaust, more towards the engine side.

akahmed
02-11-2009, 05:31 PM

akahmed
02-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Went to Autozone and the guy there pulled out these codes:

P1350 : Misfire during start cylinder 5
P1353 : Misfire Cylinder 6 With Fuel Cut-off
P0300 : Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0306 : Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

He said its most likely because of spark plug. I haven't changed spark plugs or fuel filter, will be doing the tomorrow. Do you know any DIY for fuel filter?

CBsaksiri
02-12-2009, 01:32 AM
service bulletin from 2005 (quoted from thread i found in search):

This is what a paragraph says on a letter sent out from BMWNA and is mentioned on SIB 12 24 05 which replaces SIB 12 02 04.

"BMW has become aware of a potential problem that could affect the Bremi ignition coils durability of certain 2001, 2002, and 2003 BMW models equipped with a Motorsport 3.2L engine. Based on our research a small percentage of vehicles will actually develop a problem, which is first indicated by "Service engine soon" light being illumninated, and in some cases by engine rough running."

The new ignition coil part number is 12 13 7 551 260

akahmed
02-12-2009, 01:44 AM
P1353
P1350
P0300
P0306

These are for cylinder 5 and 6. If yours were for other cylinders then they should be similar? I'm taking it in tomorrow. Just thinking if I should change spark plugs and then take it in. I'm certain the service adviser will say plugs need to be changed and they will charge me for plugs. i think they charge 48 for changing each.

M3RX
02-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Under the law they should be covered for 8 years/80,000 miles.

CBsaksiri
02-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Not sure if I still have the OBD-II reader my friend lent me, either.

Just spoke to a service advisor and he was fairly unhelpful... could only tell me there was a recall for the emissions reprogramming in 2006 but that nothing else applied to my car. I would have to bring it in for them to diagnose but he didn't know whether coils are commonly replaced for the M3, etc.

Does anyone know if there is a definitive service bulletin/recall that applies to all M3s?

The dealer is quoting $47.88 for the coil part. I would probably just replace all or maybe let my independent shop figure out which one has failed and replace the one... I guess I should check whether they're Bosch or Bremi coils as well.

This EPA recall summary clearly lists the coil replacement as prescribed for my 2002 M3:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/recall/420b06001.pdf

akahmed
02-13-2009, 03:27 PM
I insisted that they check SIB 12 24 05. After going back and forth a couple of times they finally did find it and changed all the coils. Insist that they look this SIB up. The service advisor told me they were unaware of this till now. The paper work they gave me for signing had the bulletin attached. They won't give me a copy of it, but the number above should be enough for them to look it up.

For coils and plugs it would have cost me around 950. I got the coils changed for free, bought plugs from the dealer at 17 each after 20% BMW CCA discount. At sparkplugs.com its 12.06 each. With next day air it would have cost more. I will change the plug today now. Saved myself more than 800!!!

Dyavalon
02-13-2009, 06:06 PM
It did sound like a coil problem, as we stated. The OBD2 general codes can not show that, so they throw other codes, related, instead.

If it helps, Once I had my coils replaced, I have not had a problem with them again.

TSB number - CBsaksiri
02-24-2009, 01:57 PM
i got my car back yesterday and it's running much more smoothly with new coils and spark plugs...

also had power steering reservoir, hose clamps, fluid; diff fluid; fuel, air, micro filters replaced. i think it's good to go for another 30-40k miles =)

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index