Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index


04-11-2009, 01:59 AM
This is my first car accident. I'm really worried, I have some questions that I would like to ask.

Today I hit a car that missed a stop sign. My car was damaged pretty severely. I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu with 24,000 miles and fully payed for. I did a police report.

Who's insurance pays for the damage mine or the other persons?

The cars looks like it's totaled the engine is pretty much crushed and wont start. Does the insurance pay for the value of the car based on Kelly blue book value? I checked and it's worth 10,555. I don't want to get anything less than the car is worth.

Do I get a car rental?

My shoulder and my back was hurting a hour after the wreck. Is there anything I can do regarding legal matters?.

04-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Hi. Sorry to hear about your accident. I work for an insurance company and deal with these types of incidents all day so I hope u find my advice helpful. There are 2 ways you can go about this. 1st, contact your own insurance company who will deal with your claim and any injury. an excess is usually payable when claiming under your own policy though but can be claimed back at a later date. 2nd contact the other persons insurance company who will deal with your claim. no excess is payable if you claim off them. they should also deal with your injury and put you in a hire car.

Depending on your insurance company most do not give you a rental car if your car is a total loss.

Regarding the value you would need to provide docs ie, mot (if applicable) service hist etc, the value will be determined from glasses guide and they may also take into consideration the price of similar veh's in your area. you dont normally get what you paid for as the value drops quite alot.

Hope everything goes ok.


Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index