Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

LeChef
05-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Does anyone know when the new XF-R will be at dealers and available for test drives?

MTIA

Gabriel
05-12-2009, 12:16 PM
They came in last week for MI dealers. Very limited production with most stores getting only 2 per year and some not getting any.

LeChef
05-12-2009, 12:41 PM
So if I'm in Chicago will I need to order and if so so what's the wait time likely to be?

Gabriel
05-13-2009, 01:46 PM
You can buy one today if you like black/charcoal.

LeChef
05-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm going with my wife on Saturday to try and drive one first. I'm coming out of a 997 and need something that's better at long distances, but still visceral and howlingly fast. It's a big decision and I want to make sure I make the right choice.

The M5 requires you to be "on it" all the time. The CTS-V might be an option but I've never owned a domestic. The Maserati QP is too big and too expensive.

I'm hoping my Chicagoland dealers have at least one XF-R to try.

Gabriel
05-13-2009, 02:41 PM
If they do you'll be impressed.

Not by the power as there are many fast cars out there, but how smooth and supple it is. Driven normally you'd have no idea it was such a powerhouse until you floor it. Such a dual natured supercar. Fit and finish are above Benz, BMW, Caddie, even Audi.

The interior leather on the dash and door rolls, the way the wood is used, the short play of the buttons...and that's on any XF. The R just takes it all up a notch. No car on the market offers a total package like the XFR for only $80k usd.

Cross the border into Canada and the R's are well over a $100k and much more in Europe. Only in America are prices so low.

If you do test drive one, be sure to floor it from 50mph in sport mode to see what happens.

LeChef
05-13-2009, 03:47 PM
My thing is steering feel, not steering weight. The Porker is exceptional, but I don;t want to lose too much of that. Old Jags used to be horrible which is why I never really considered one before.

And as a Brit I really WANT to like it.

Gabriel
05-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Your local store will have a Supercharged Luxury in stock for you to test drive. That will give you a idea on just how far Jag has come.

In regards to steering feel.

base XF vs. 5 Series Sport from Speed TV review

The steering, for instance, is as good as any I've tried in this class of car. Instead of appearing to react to your action, so that your progress is defined by the process of input followed by deflection, it flows as seamlessly as if your arms were steering the front wheels themselves. Good though the Beemer's steering is, it can't do that.

This was a base XF against a 5 Series Sport. Imagine how good the XFR is.

http://automotive.speedtv.com/article/head_to_head_jaguar_xf_vs_bmw_5-series/P2/

LeChef
05-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Many thanks for your input Gabriel. Will let you know once I've driven it.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index