Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

robmancuso
11-07-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm trading my 650i Sport for an X6 Sports Package with the new performance upgrade. Does anyone have any experience with the upgrade? I'm told it's new, but BMW confirmed its 40 additional HP to the 5.0. Also, anyone with experience in winter snow with the 20's and performance tires? Thanks

TTBear
11-11-2009, 12:36 AM
We have an X6M on the way, having sold our 4.6is this spring. Whatever you do, do NOT drive your X6 on snow, with the performance tires. They are exactly that - designed for the summer and the temperatures associated with it. Below 5 degrees celsius or so, the soft, sticky performance rubber will become rock hard, and you will find yourself with NO grip. Think of four hockey pucks on their sides, and then trying to stop on these contact patches.
A lot of people make the mistake of saying "but I have all wheel drive". That may help (somewhat) with accelerating, but it will still mean death with stopping. Seriously. Performance tires will NOT cut it, even with a light snowfall. Ask me how I know... my family was on the receiving end of a driver that chose to "save a few bucks", and leave the summer tires on his car.

How much did your new X6 cost? Would it not make sense to cough up for dedicated winter rubber, to protect the lives of yours, and those around you?

And don't be tempted to go the "all-season" route. The term "all-season" is equivocal to "equally bad at all things". Keep your summer rubber. Add dedicated winter rubber. You, your family, and those around you that you didn't just plow over, will reap the benefits.

Rant over. http://members.roadfly.com/TTBear/M3 sig36.JPG

"Anima sana in corpore sano"

robmancuso
11-17-2009, 04:29 PM
TT - thanks for the input. Do you suggest I purchase a separate tire/wheel combo for the winter? Also, were you quoted a price for BMW tire/wheel protection? Sounds like it may be a good idea.

TTBear
11-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Oh yeah - swapping a dedicated wheel and tire set up is much easier (and better for your tires) than replacing rubber on your summer wheels twice a year. If you have a dedicated winter wheel/tire set up, you can just throw the other set on yourself in half an hour, instead of having to bring everything to a tire place to take off the tires, and replace them. Tire Rack is often a great place to go for these set ups. Try and go as narrow as you can. Doesn't look as good, but for the winter, you want a narrower tire, to "cut" your way through the snow, instead of riding up on top of it. I think for your car, 255 width tires on 19" wheels is recommended.
Yep. We were quoted CDN$1000 for the wheel/tire insurance, and went with it. I can't think of a single car we've owned with which we wouldn't have benefited from it.
Good luck!http://members.roadfly.com/TTBear/M3 sig36.JPG

"Anima sana in corpore sano"

lezonebay
11-30-2009, 08:55 PM
winter with 255/55R18 tires and worked perfectly fine. I bought the tire/wheel package online from a guy who sold his X5 and new owner refused to pay 800usd for a package. I happily grabbed it.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index