Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

BenzKing
01-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Hey there!

I bought a Mercedes C Class Elegance with automatic transmission. The car was a end 1999 edition.

My mechanic says that the gearbox will need to be replaced after 160,000 kilometres. He says that the gears could skip and the car would just stop. He explained to me that the gearbox is not suppose to last longer than 160000 kilometres.

I`m finding this hard to believe. Did mercedes seriously design the automatic transmission of the c class to only last 160,000 kilometers or is my mechanic trying to pull a number on me??

I'm a little scared to use it because I dont want it stalling in any traffic. But at the same time when Honda can make the automatic transmission of the 1990 civic to last way past 160000 kilometers, its really hard to believe that Mercedes installed such a weak gearbox...

Please tell me your opinions. I dont really want to spend a large amount of cash on something that doesn`t need to be replaced.

mie
02-02-2010, 07:18 AM
hi

I have the same mercedes, 1994 i have driven it like 279200km no problems with automatic transmission. when transmission start to broken it will be clear , there will be many signs related to transmission

you should change oil to transmisson that will give even more time that it will last

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index