Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

hchi
07-16-2011, 12:17 PM
After have a decent time with our 2006 BMW 525i, we added a BMW325xi and a BMW335i the family. We actual have 3 BMWs in our family, not including 3 others after good referrals to my brother and brother-in-law. A few weeks ago, the 2006 525i came to a stop. The vehicle was purchased new, well maintained, and cared for. I made a mistake by not buying the extended warranty. The vehicle has just hit the 85k mark and was mostly driven on the freeway. After doing a lot of research on the internet, I noticed BMWNA has a lot of soft recalls knowing problems exist in their products. For my particular year motor the N52B30AE, there was a problem with the oils passages for the head. If the customer complained under warranty, they would do several band-aid fixes to try to resolve the problem. If it was brought back serveral times, they would replace the head. BMW knew the problem existed and actual re-casted the head with improved oil passages. You would think a company would do full recalls and repair or replace their know defective products. I sent an email to BMWNA to see if they could or would assist me, but they have not responded. I was told it could be several things such as the timing chain slipped to something catastrophically failed with our BMW. As of now, it may need a new head or a new motor replacement which I find as outrageous. A new motor from BMW is $15K, rebuilt motor is $8k, or new head $5k not including install.

The 07 BMW 335i has been plagued with problems and BMWNA refuses to do a full recall on their known defective products. They extended the warranty for the fuel pump and injectors for 120k or 10 years instead of just replacing the known defective parts. They have another soft recall, if it is not broken and the customer does not complain, don't fix it until it breaks knowing their product defective. Our 335i BMW was brought in once and they cleared the light and reprogrammer the vehicle. The vehicle will have to go back in again for the next band-aid fix. I assume it is BMW's way to not be responsible to cover their know defective products hoping the consumer soft recall will expire.

It really appears the BMW will not stand behind their products. Soft recalls and service bulletins informing their dealerships conduct band-aid fixes to hide the problems and replace the defective component if the customer continues to have problems. In the next few years when it comes time to replace our vehicles, I will seriously consider purchasing vehicles from Mercedes or Accura. I have heard they stand behind their products. Thank god, I did not buy a new 2012 BMW 525 like we planned.

goatboy
08-19-2011, 03:54 PM
I have a 2002 M3. Most of my problems have been trim. I'm going to keep my car until 110k miles (when it's due for a $1200+ Inspection II and four new tires). I currently have 93k miles. I LOVE my dealership, Sandy Sansing in Pensacola, Florida. If I get to 110k miles without the VANOS or cat' converters going south, I'll pro'lly get a five-something. But, if I get hit with a big repair bill before then, I'll make arrangements to stop by Sansing BMW with my new M-B or Porsche to show it to the BMWNA zone guy on one of his periodic visits.

My wife's 2006 Honda Accord has 92k miles and has only been in the shop once... for tires at 79k miles. (I have access to a lift, so I do my own oil changes and tire rotations.) Sansing BMW likes me (for now) and usually give's me a five-something loaner car. When they ask me how I like it, I tell them it's somewhat nicer than my wife's Accord... the one that's only been in the shop once in 80k, 90k, etc. miles... for tires. They get a bewildered look, knowing they might lose a good customer because of BMW's quality problems.

My next car will be a high-end sedan for trips, and I want good gas mileage. For 2012, the base U.S five series is going to a four-cylinder turbo engine, I think two-liters. I'm not spending $60k for a four-cylinder car, especially on that has the potential to be a big pain in the *** later. I might end up with a E350 BLUETEC. I think BMW"s screwed the pooch on this one. It seems they could have made a 2.0 litter six cylinder turbo instead, giving up one or two MPG's and keeping the in-line six's smoothness.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index