Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

daet1234
04-24-2012, 12:21 PM
(I always get the interesting projects)

Physical exterior examination shows physical body damage low on the bumper skin. The attitude of the vehicle lists to the drivers side. Upon lifting the affected side and examining the tire well I found the air shock boot completely detached from the lower part. I am under the impression that this part needs replaced. I have found a few suppliers for parts.

I am going to do this job, but I need to know if there is anything I need to be aware of. From what I can see, It seems like an overly complex hybrid of the charger and sebring suspension systems. I have already spotted the 12 point or triple square bit sockets I will need. Are there any additional tools needed? Any computer intervention?

I will be taking pictures of this entire process, since there is no documentation anywhere besides what you can buy. I will post as soon as I get started.

I am just waiting for parts.

mmaynard
04-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Where did you get your parts from? i just found a guy offering rebuilt ones in pompano beach florida for a pretty reasonable price. If you buy the parts wholesale from bentley dealership they are going to be around 2k-3k each side, Also I would check the vacuum line for leaks too while the car is in the air.

charlie
04-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks in advance for posting pics when you can.

-Charlie

daet1234
04-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Pulled off a wheel. Required the use of a scissor jack to get it off the ground enough.

It did not have the B hubcap
removed two hex bolts from rim 3mm
removed wheel studs 17mm
pictures

The boot on the shock was detached and stuck up

daet1234
04-25-2012, 03:19 PM
The supplier is the rebuilder in Florida. About 1K plus 200 core. He has an ebay account and does Audis as well.

daet1234
04-25-2012, 03:27 PM
The tool in the first set of pictures is called a triple square; it has 12 points, and is 12mm; Ebay sells them approximately 10 per set.

I tried to inject air (regulated low pressure) into the inlet of the air shock to no avail. I think that there is an electronic valve inside. I injected air into the line to the pump. I heard a hissing in the rear. Pulled down the plastic skid plate and saw the previous person had disconnected the air line, but plugged in another to block flow from the compressor.

daet1234
04-28-2012, 08:04 PM
The part came in. 4390
Electrical connection removed
Air line removed

Removed bolt out top of steering knuckle (16mm bolt and nut)
Separated upper ball joints from knuckle. Upper control arm bushings are completely worn, one fell flat.

Removed air filter lid (T30)
Lifted wiper shroud
Removed three triple square 12mm bolts (watch the washers beneath, they might slip down)

Removed lower shock through bolt (18mm both ends)
pushed shock upwards (looking back, It may not be possible with a good shock. The new one was impossible to collapse) and removed shock and mount

Removed 4 13mm nuts on top of mount

daet1234
04-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Installation is the reverse of removal....

Except now you have good strut that does not collapse.

Solution:
Remove stabailizer link (I just disconnected it)
Lift lower control arm with a jack till there is little tension on the link
Remove bolt (18mm both)
loosen stab bar (18mm) bolt
move stab link

Install strut into position with two bolts (the third will not go in because of the pontoon looking thing hitting the CV)

Pry down on lower control arm
push lower strut clevis onto the control arm
Insert bolt.

Reverse procedure.

Job time ~2hours - I was being very carefull

ArnottInc
06-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Another option for replacement Bentley air suspension - Arnott recently started selling rebuilt, OE front air shocks for the 2003-2008 Bentley Continental GT and the 4-door 2006-2008 Bentley Flying Spur. These remanufactured Bentley replacement shocks (http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_BENTLEY_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid27_pid177.htm l)have new rubber air spring bladders and a new CNC machined aluminum upper housing. Arnott's price is $1,125 plus a $400 core charge. They also buy used Bentley air suspention parts (http://www.arnottindustries.com/blog/posts/we-buy-and-recycle-cores.html).

MandarinSpeaker
07-25-2012, 06:42 PM
The only down side is that its trunk is resized to be smaller. Apart from that, I love the power and the luxurious look of this machine.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7118/7638761096_c0880fc853_b.jpg

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index