Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

HOF
10-21-1998, 01:46 AM
I just got off the phone with my dealer tonight. I had sent him a nice early gift basket for the upcoming holidays (big time good old fashion schmoozing is more like it) and he called to thank me for it. He happens to be also purchasing a 323i himself (99) and he is in the same shoes as us. He does not like the sport package wheels and he is also awaiting word from the manufactureres regarding the wheel change or no change. He thinks the 323i premium package wheel swap is the way to go. As of this time, he was not received word from BMW on any wheel change in late Dec. or early Jan. 99. Here is the interesting twist to this dilemma:<p>I may have a choice of getting the premium package alloys instead of the sport package alloys for next to nothing (may some balancing, mounting charges), but no extra charge on the car itself. My dealer told me he would do this for me. Here is my dillema: My car is November production 323i Sport. If I keep my order as is, I will end up for sure with the style 54 wheels (the ugly one posted in Jeff's website which have 10 spokes and are busy looking). <p>He has offered me the chance to delay my order for a month by ordering an identical car (same one I ordered for Nov. production) for December production. He also told me that once my original November production car arrived, he will save it for me and give me the choice of getting it or waiting for the December production car to see if it comes with newer sport alloys from the factory (If I confused you, I apologize). He will also give me a good deal if I upgrade to the 328i Sport wheels from the 323i Sport wheels. What do I do?<p>a. Take the Nov. production car with the weird 10-spoke alloys (See Jeff's website) and then switch to premium wheels at minimal charge or pay a grand and go to the 328i Sport wheels?<p>b. Take the Dec. production car (means another month of waiting, late Jan. 99 delivery date) with hopes that it will come with the new improved alloys, and if not, then swap with premium alloys or upgrade to 328i alloys?<p>c. Leave the alloys alone no matter what and take the Nov. production car (arrives late Dec. or early January). When it comes time to change tires down the line, then upgrade the alloys and wheels to 17" and better wheels?<p>d. Buy an A4 Quattro and become an A4.org addict, give up my job, post stupid stuff all day long on how the A4 is superior to the 3 series and keep harping on how the Quattro system is the best thing that hit the automotive industry since fuel injection.<p>e. None of the above.<p>What would you suggest?<p>HOF<br>future 323i sport owner <p>

Marco A.
10-21-1998, 01:54 AM
I would take the premium package wheels instead if he is giving it to you at no charge and not wait a extra month. I just think the 323 premium wheels are very clean looking and even look somewhat similar to the 328 Sport wheels. If I were you, I would save myself the suspence and go for the sure thing, which is the 16" premium wheels on your 323i Sport Package.<p>Just an idea.<p>Marco Aremato

Andi
10-21-1998, 02:51 AM
It seems a bit of an odd idea to me to have BMW build you another car just to see if they bolt different wheels on it. Maybe it's just me?<p>You said he'd give you a good deal on upgrading to the sweet 17x8 328i Sport wheels. That's my recommendation.. those wheels will give you the best looks and handling. --Andi<p><i>: I just got off the phone with my dealer tonight. I had sent him a nice early gift basket for the upcoming holidays (big time good old fashion schmoozing is more like it) and he called to thank me for it. He happens to be also purchasing a 323i himself (99) and he is in the same shoes as us. He does not like the sport package wheels and he is also awaiting word from the manufactureres regarding the wheel change or no change. He thinks the 323i premium package wheel swap is the way to go. As of this time, he was not received word from BMW on any wheel change in late Dec. or early Jan. 99. Here is the interesting twist to this dilemma:<p>: I may have a choice of getting the premium package alloys instead of the sport package alloys for next to nothing (may some balancing, mounting charges), but no extra charge on the car itself. My dealer told me he would do this for me. Here is my dillema: My car is November production 323i Sport. If I keep my order as is, I will end up for sure with the style 54 wheels (the ugly one posted in Jeff's website which have 10 spokes and are busy looking). <p>: He has offered me the chance to delay my order for a month by ordering an identical car (same one I ordered for Nov. production) for December production. He also told me that once my original November production car arrived, he will save it for me and give me the choice of getting it or waiting for the December production car to see if it comes with newer sport alloys from the factory (If I confused you, I apologize). He will also give me a good deal if I upgrade to the 328i Sport wheels from the 323i Sport wheels. What do I do?<p>: a. Take the Nov. production car with the weird 10-spoke alloys (See Jeff's website) and then switch to premium wheels at minimal charge or pay a grand and go to the 328i Sport wheels?<p>: b. Take the Dec. production car (means another month of waiting, late Jan. 99 delivery date) with hopes that it will come with the new improved alloys, and if not, then swap with premium alloys or upgrade to 328i alloys?<p>: c. Leave the alloys alone no matter what and take the Nov. production car (arrives late Dec. or early January). When it comes time to change tires down the line, then upgrade the alloys and wheels to 17" and better wheels?<p>: d. Buy an A4 Quattro and become an A4.org addict, give up my job, post stupid stuff all day long on how the A4 is superior to the 3 series and keep harping on how the Quattro system is the best thing that hit the automotive industry since fuel injection.<p>: e. None of the above.<p>: What would you suggest?<p>: HOF<br>: future 323i sport owner <p>: <p></i>

HOF
10-21-1998, 03:11 AM
Andi,<p>With the options on my car, he will not have a problem getting rid of it or getting a deposit on it. It is a silver/gray 5 speed with lots of good options and any 323i buyer will consider it if he does not sell it to me. He is basically doing me a favor by ordering the second one, knowing that either vehicle can be sold to somebody else, since I will be taking only one for me. <p>I want those 328i Sport wheels, but a grand is a grand and if I can have regular stock wheels that look good without paying for them, I just may do that. But hey, I LOVE those 17" rims/tires of the 328i Sport and my 323i will look killer with those. Time to work harder and make a grand more by January!<p>Talk to you soon,<p>HOF

HOG
10-21-1998, 04:13 AM
<i>: I just got off the phone with my dealer tonight. I had sent him a nice early gift basket for the upcoming holidays (big time good old fashion schmoozing is more like it) and he called to thank me for it. He happens to be also purchasing a 323i himself (99) and he is in the same shoes as us. He does not like the sport package wheels and he is also awaiting word from the manufactureres regarding the wheel change or no change. He thinks the 323i premium package wheel swap is the way to go. As of this time, he was not received word from BMW on any wheel change in late Dec. or early Jan. 99. Here is the interesting twist to this dilemma:<p>: I may have a choice of getting the premium package alloys instead of the sport package alloys for next to nothing (may some balancing, mounting charges), but no extra charge on the car itself. My dealer told me he would do this for me. Here is my dillema: My car is November production 323i Sport. If I keep my order as is, I will end up for sure with the style 54 wheels (the ugly one posted in Jeff's website which have 10 spokes and are busy looking). <p>: He has offered me the chance to delay my order for a month by ordering an identical car (same one I ordered for Nov. production) for December production. He also told me that once my original November production car arrived, he will save it for me and give me the choice of getting it or waiting for the December production car to see if it comes with newer sport alloys from the factory (If I confused you, I apologize). He will also give me a good deal if I upgrade to the 328i Sport wheels from the 323i Sport wheels. What do I do?<p>: a. Take the Nov. production car with the weird 10-spoke alloys (See Jeff's website) and then switch to premium wheels at minimal charge or pay a grand and go to the 328i Sport wheels?<p>: b. Take the Dec. production car (means another month of waiting, late Jan. 99 delivery date) with hopes that it will come with the new improved alloys, and if not, then swap with premium alloys or upgrade to 328i alloys?<p>: c. Leave the alloys alone no matter what and take the Nov. production car (arrives late Dec. or early January). When it comes time to change tires down the line, then upgrade the alloys and wheels to 17" and better wheels?<p>: d. Buy an A4 Quattro and become an A4.org addict, give up my job, post stupid stuff all day long on how the A4 is superior to the 3 series and keep harping on how the Quattro system is the best thing that hit the automotive industry since fuel injection.<p>: e. None of the above.<p>: What would you suggest?<p>: HOF<br>: future 323i sport owner <p>: <p>Some people have too much time on their hands. Look here, you're missing the forest for the trees. In the long run, who gives a rat's *** on which wheels you get? It won't get you laid any quicker.

JD///M3
10-21-1998, 04:56 AM
Better looking, cheaper, and better quality. What's with all the boo hooing about the OEM wheels? Quit being cheapos and buy aftermarket!!<p><i>: I just got off the phone with my dealer tonight. I had sent him a nice early gift basket for the upcoming holidays (big time good old fashion schmoozing is more like it) and he called to thank me for it. He happens to be also purchasing a 323i himself (99) and he is in the same shoes as us. He does not like the sport package wheels and he is also awaiting word from the manufactureres regarding the wheel change or no change. He thinks the 323i premium package wheel swap is the way to go. As of this time, he was not received word from BMW on any wheel change in late Dec. or early Jan. 99. Here is the interesting twist to this dilemma:<p>: I may have a choice of getting the premium package alloys instead of the sport package alloys for next to nothing (may some balancing, mounting charges), but no extra charge on the car itself. My dealer told me he would do this for me. Here is my dillema: My car is November production 323i Sport. If I keep my order as is, I will end up for sure with the style 54 wheels (the ugly one posted in Jeff's website which have 10 spokes and are busy looking). <p>: He has offered me the chance to delay my order for a month by ordering an identical car (same one I ordered for Nov. production) for December production. He also told me that once my original November production car arrived, he will save it for me and give me the choice of getting it or waiting for the December production car to see if it comes with newer sport alloys from the factory (If I confused you, I apologize). He will also give me a good deal if I upgrade to the 328i Sport wheels from the 323i Sport wheels. What do I do?<p>: a. Take the Nov. production car with the weird 10-spoke alloys (See Jeff's website) and then switch to premium wheels at minimal charge or pay a grand and go to the 328i Sport wheels?<p>: b. Take the Dec. production car (means another month of waiting, late Jan. 99 delivery date) with hopes that it will come with the new improved alloys, and if not, then swap with premium alloys or upgrade to 328i alloys?<p>: c. Leave the alloys alone no matter what and take the Nov. production car (arrives late Dec. or early January). When it comes time to change tires down the line, then upgrade the alloys and wheels to 17" and better wheels?<p>: d. Buy an A4 Quattro and become an A4.org addict, give up my job, post stupid stuff all day long on how the A4 is superior to the 3 series and keep harping on how the Quattro system is the best thing that hit the automotive industry since fuel injection.<p>: e. None of the above.<p>: What would you suggest?<p>: HOF<br>: future 323i sport owner <p>: <p></i>

knowitall
10-21-1998, 08:09 AM
What makes you think BMW would make a running change even before this wheel has hit the US? <p>The 323i Sport will remain on Styling 54 for at least the remainder of the model year. And I can't for the life of me figure out what's so "ugly" about this wheel.

CCP
10-21-1998, 08:24 AM
I think that the 16" premium package wheel swap is the way to go. That way, you don't have to wait an extra month for a wheel change that might not happen in the production line, and you save yourself the grand. Just make sure that you keep the wider performance tires from the sport package.

NS
10-21-1998, 11:03 AM
Is the dealer re-adjusting your speedometer if you put the 17" 328 wheels on your 323? It will not read correctly if you leave it as is.

knowitall
10-21-1998, 11:45 AM
Not true; it's essentially a plus-one; tire height is all but identical.

Jeff Dinkins
10-21-1998, 12:50 PM
<i>: I think that the 16" premium package wheel swap is the way to go. That way, you don't have to wait an extra month for a wheel change that might not happen in the production line, and you save yourself the grand. Just make sure that you keep the wider performance tires from the sport package.<br></i><p>Will the tires fit? Can you put the perf tires from the 16" sport wheels on the 16" premium wheels? (Sorry, I'm not real knowledgable about mounting detail)

HOF
10-21-1998, 12:58 PM
According to my parts department guy I called, the sport package alloys are 16" x 7" and so are the premium package alloys. Which means you can interchange the two and keep the 225 tires on the premium package wheels. I think I will do that. I will not wait any longer and swap the two alloys for little or no charge.<p>HOF

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index