Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Duke
10-23-1998, 04:58 PM
Any recommendations for the break-in my 1999 323i due to arrive in about 3 weeks?<p>Built 10/21/98, red 323i manual, tan leather, sport package, xenons, heated seats, wood, sunroof, cd, HK system.<p>Should be one of the earlier 323i's with sport package and xenons to arrive in the U.S. <p>

Brad D
10-23-1998, 05:34 PM
<br>: Any recommendations for the break-in my 1999 323i due to arrive in about 3 weeks?<p>My tip: Read the manual. I'm not trying to be a smart-*** - it's just that I hear different things from each dealer. I test drive a E46 328i the other day, and while I was driving I asked about the break-in rpm limit. The purpose of me asking was that I know that someone is going to actually own this car soon, and so I didn't want to trash it my running at redline with only 50 miles on the car. The dealer said "don't worry, drive how you like". When I suggested the limit of the 740iL, which is no more than 4k RPM for 1240 miles, the dealer just laughed. "No, no, no. You are obviously not familiar with these cars. You can drive it how you like, just don't hit the redline for the first 1k." What a bunch of B.S. Obviously the dealers only care about the sale and don't care if they are damaging the car. This is a big reason that I prefer to special order - I know it won't have been used to do "demo(lition) drives".<p>Anyway, the '97 740iL break in period was basically, vary speed continuously and do not exceed 4000 RPM and/or 105mph for the first 1240 miles (this seemingly odd number is because it is converted from the km spec). It also says that once the 1240 miles is up, to increase the way you drive your car gradually - that is, don't start redlining every day immediately on mile 1241.<p>Personally, the 4k limit doesn't bother me. But, it's annoying to have to constantly vary speed for over one thousand miles. Not only is it annoying to do, but everyone who sees you driving thinks that you are an idiot who can't hold speed...<p>: Built 10/21/98, red 323i manual, tan leather, sport package, xenons, heated seats, wood, sunroof, cd, HK system.<p>Sounds like it will look great.<p>: Should be one of the earlier 323i's with sport package and xenons to arrive in the U.S. <p>Hope so - I've heard of some E46 that had xenon's ordered simply arrived without them (and with no advance notice!). It's one thing to refuse the order ahead of time, or to delay the whole car. But it's another to just have the car arrive and, "Suprise, we left off some options!"<p>Have fun!<br>Brad

jeff@theFixx.org
10-23-1998, 08:19 PM
<i><br>: : Should be one of the earlier 323i's with sport package and xenons to arrive in the U.S. <p>: Hope so - I've heard of some E46 that had xenon's ordered simply arrived without them (and with no advance notice!). It's one thing to refuse the order ahead of time, or to delay the whole car. But it's another to just have the car arrive and, "Suprise, we left off some options!"<p></i><p>Someone on alt.autos.bmw called his dealer to ask about this occurance: the word was that BMW would absolutly not do this: if there was a delay there would have been a bullitin out to the dealer indicating as such.<p>This sounds like the dealer simply forgot and is not fessing up to it, letting the factory take the fall.<p>This is second hand, so take it as such (though you can read his account on alt.autos.bmw).<p>jeff

jeff@theFixx.org
10-23-1998, 08:42 PM
<br>Here's the message from alt.autos.bmw:<br>------<br>I checked with my sales rep to see if there was anything more to this,<br>specifically to see if there might be a chance that the Xenons I ordered<br>might not materialize.<p>He said that he was:<br>a. not aware of any production problems<br>b. currently receiving other models with Xenons, without issue<br>c. guaranteed to be notified by bulletin from BMW if such an issue existed<br>d. guaranteed to be notified if any regional modifications were made that<br>might explain your situtation<br>e. able to see that my car is scheduled to be born in the next few days,<br>complete with Xenons<p>This paints a picture wherein the potential for your dealer to have<br>mis-ordered the car seems fairly high. Your account of how they failed to<br>find and remove the shipping blocks from your car's springs before delivery<br>also suggests that there might be some question about the reliability of<br>their information in general.<p>I mention this simply as circumstantial evidence, in case you feel compelled<br>to take issue with the dealer.<p>

joe
10-23-1998, 08:46 PM
<i>: Any recommendations for the break-in my 1999 323i due to arrive in about 3 weeks?<p>: Built 10/21/98, red 323i manual, tan leather, sport package, xenons, heated seats, wood, sunroof, cd, HK system.<p>: Should be one of the earlier 323i's with sport package and xenons to arrive in the U.S. <p></i>

joe
10-23-1998, 08:51 PM
<i>: Any recommendations for the break-in my 1999 323i due to arrive in about 3 weeks?<p>: Built 10/21/98, red 323i manual, tan leather, sport package, xenons, heated seats, wood, sunroof, cd, HK system.<p>: Should be one of the earlier 323i's with sport package and xenons to arrive in the U.S. <p></i>did you ever hear the saying " drive it like a ***** it will always run like one ,drive it like you want it will always run like you want" so much for "break in " have had alot of new stuff never broke in zip,it's got a warrenty right???

Aamir Farooq
10-23-1998, 09:13 PM
<i>: Any recommendations for the break-in my 1999 323i due to arrive in about 3 weeks?<p>Wow, your car was built on the 21st and you get it in 3 weeks. My 323 was built on Oct 13 and the latest delivery data I was given was the end of November. I was told that it takes 4 weeks to ship (sea time) and about a week transit from Oxnard. Maybe my baby will get here sooner than expected.<p>Regards.<p>Aamir<p>1999 323 Titanium Silver/Black leather, Premium Pkg, HK, Xenon, Moonroof..... damn I want it NOW!!!<p>: Built 10/21/98, red 323i manual, tan leather, sport package, xenons, heated seats, wood, sunroof, cd, HK system.<p>: Should be one of the earlier 323i's with sport package and xenons to arrive in the U.S. <p></i>

Larry Lefkowitz
10-28-1998, 12:26 AM
<i>I have received my 323i. The manual suggests keeping revs below 4500 and speed below 100 for the first 1200 miles and then slowly increasing after that.<br></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index