Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Alex B.
10-27-1998, 11:47 AM
Having ordered xenon headlights on my 323i, I was just curious how the day-time driving lights of my 323i will work with the bright xenon headlights or would it? I plan on not activating them anyway, but I was real curious to know how the brightness of the xenon would not disturub other drivers in the day? How exactly is this done? Does the xenon go down a notch or two in brightness with the actication of the daytime feature?<p>I for one, do not care for cars that have these like GM, VW and others. I am just wondering how these 2 new technologies merge on the new 3's.<p>Thanks in advance.<p>Alex B.

Ryan G.
10-27-1998, 01:32 PM
The idea of both a xenon lights and daytime driving headlights seems kind of strange. I would think this combination has to be there on new 3's because there is nothing in the brochure stating otherwise. Still thinking about it, how would these two operations work together? Somehow they do, well maybe, but how? Beats the hell out of me!<p>Ryan G.<br>323i on order w/o xenons unfortunately.

John
10-27-1998, 01:42 PM
By their nature, HID lamps (which include Xenon) cannot be dimmed without causing great problems for both the ballast and the lamp. Since you MUST order the fog lamp option on the 323i, my assumption is that the fog lamp will operate independently of the low beam, giving the same effect. I don't think you'd want Xenon lamps on during the day-time hours if it can be avoided due to their extreme brightness. <p>I have Xenon on my new 323i, but chose not to activate the daytime running light option.<p><i>: Having ordered xenon headlights on my 323i, I was just curious how the day-time driving lights of my 323i will work with the bright xenon headlights or would it? I plan on not activating them anyway, but I was real curious to know how the brightness of the xenon would not disturub other drivers in the day? How exactly is this done? Does the xenon go down a notch or two in brightness with the actication of the daytime feature?<p>: I for one, do not care for cars that have these like GM, VW and others. I am just wondering how these 2 new technologies merge on the new 3's.<p>: Thanks in advance.<p>: Alex B.<p></i>

Ryan G.
10-27-1998, 01:55 PM
Are they what you thought they were or are you disappointed?<p>Sincerely,<p>Ryan G.

Alex B.
10-27-1998, 02:22 PM
I know I would never get a BMW without them but why are they a MUST for the xenons to work? The base model and the premium models do not have it as standard equipment and only the sport package has it standard. As far as I know, the xenon headlamps CAN be ordered without foglamps and there is no information anywhere stating that the two have to ordered together in oreder to make the xenons function on a non-foglighted 323. I am curious according the xenon functions, how somebody then can order a car without foglights (can be done) and order xenon lights and not have a conflict. This is very interesting. John, I do not mean to challenge you on this but I am very curious.<p>Thanks John.<p>Alex B.

BM-deW
10-27-1998, 03:50 PM
<i>: The idea of both a xenon lights and daytime driving headlights seems kind of strange. I would think this combination has to be there on new 3's because there is nothing in the brochure stating otherwise. Still thinking about it, how would these two operations work together? Somehow they do, well maybe, but how? Beats the hell out of me!<p>: Ryan G.<br>: 323i on order w/o xenons unfortunately.<p></i>

jeff@thefixx.org
10-27-1998, 04:10 PM
<i>: I am real curious to know if the brightness of the xenon would disturub other drivers in the day? <p><br>I don't quite follow why the brightness would <br>disturb others during the day - the effective <br>lighting level is *diminished* during the day,<br>not increased.<p>jeff<p>p.s. I love daytime running lights - I feel it makes one much more visible, and on my mountain commute, every safety consideration counts.<p></i>

Patrick
10-27-1998, 04:39 PM
I don't think it makes sense to use xenon during the day because you can hardly see them! Have a Mercedes S-Class and it is hardly noticable when on in sunlight. <p>--Patrick

John
10-27-1998, 05:18 PM
As you probably know, the 328i has fog lamps as standard. Also, the sport package on the 323i includes the fog lamps. As far as why they are required, I can only offer a guess: <p>On my car, the fog lamps can be independently switched from the main (Xenon) headlights. On the Halogen headlamps, this is not the case. I think the reasoning is that the Xenons cast an almost blinding reflection in fog, making a bad situation worse.<p>I can't give you a definitive answer, but can tell you that both BMW dealers in Minneapolis had the same proviso on Xenon, i.e., "requires fog lamps" printed on their price sheets.<p>Hope this helps.<p>John<p> I am curious according the xenon functions, how somebody then can order a car without foglights (can be done) and order xenon lights and not have a conflict. This is very interesting. John, I do not mean to challenge you on this but I am very curious.<p>: Thanks John.<p>: Alex B.<p></i>

John
10-27-1998, 05:24 PM
I feel they are certainly worth the $500 price tag. I had seen the Xenons in action when I test drove the Acura 3.2TL and thought they did a wonderful job of lighting the road--looked real neat too. My only disappointment is that other drivers think you have your brights on at times and flash their lights back. I've done tests (not scientific, of course) with a friend driving toward me in my 323i and I in his car. They are definitely BLUE-ish, but don't blind the oncoming car. As more and more new model cars adopt Xenon, I think this will happen less and less. Once of the prices one pays to be on the cutting edge of technology, I guess!<p>John<p><i>: Are they what you thought they were or are you disappointed?<p>: Sincerely,<p>: Ryan G.<p></i>

Andi
10-27-1998, 10:08 PM
Actually on the E46's I drove (a 323 and a 328) both allowed the fogs to go on with just the parking lights, w/o the headlamps. --Andi<p><i>: As you probably know, the 328i has fog lamps as standard. Also, the sport package on the 323i includes the fog lamps. As far as why they are required, I can only offer a guess: <p>: On my car, the fog lamps can be independently switched from the main (Xenon) headlights. On the Halogen headlamps, this is not the case. I think the reasoning is that the Xenons cast an almost blinding reflection in fog, making a bad situation worse.<p>: I can't give you a definitive answer, but can tell you that both BMW dealers in Minneapolis had the same proviso on Xenon, i.e., "requires fog lamps" printed on their price sheets.<p>: Hope this helps.<p>: John<p>: I am curious according the xenon functions, how somebody then can order a car without foglights (can be done) and order xenon lights and not have a conflict. This is very interesting. John, I do not mean to challenge you on this but I am very curious.<p>: : Thanks John.<p>: : Alex B.<p></i>

nelson
10-28-1998, 12:04 AM
I was under the impression that DRL's on BMWs were<br>simply the high beam lights running at a low power<br>setting. This makes sense since the lights are aimed up at oncoming traffic, but it won't blind them, since the setting is low enough. The xenon lights should therefore stay off during the daytime. At least this is how it is on my '96 528i (Canadian model).<p>btw, I think Xenon lights are definitely worth the extra bucks. They're much brighter at night, and less blinding. As an analogy, compare incandescent desklamps to fluorescent.<p>nelson<br>

nelson
10-28-1998, 12:07 AM
oops, correction, I meant '97 528i<p><i>: I was under the impression that DRL's on BMWs were<br>: simply the high beam lights running at a low power<br>: setting. This makes sense since the lights are aimed up at oncoming traffic, but it won't blind them, since the setting is low enough. The xenon lights should therefore stay off during the daytime. At least this is how it is on my '96 528i (Canadian model).<p>: btw, I think Xenon lights are definitely worth the extra bucks. They're much brighter at night, and less blinding. As an analogy, compare incandescent desklamps to fluorescent.<p>: nelson<p></i>

Andi
10-28-1998, 02:01 AM
I don't understand how you guys think Xenons will blind people during the day but highbeams wont.<p>Any light source will be more blinding at night than during the day.. think about it. Anything pointed in-yo-face (highbeams) will be more blinding than something aimed more conservatively, even if the HID is a bit brighter. And anyways, the biggest difference with HID isn't brightness but color temperature. <p><vent mode on>I hate highbeam daytime running lights. I don't know if they're all this bad, but almost every day I see Saturn owners driving at dusk with just the highbeam daytime running lights. These are <b>definitely</b> blinding and they also don't have any taillamps turned on. They think "well I can see just fine" so they don't turn on their lowbeams. Geez... --Andi<p><i>: I was under the impression that DRL's on BMWs were<br>: simply the high beam lights running at a low power<br>: setting. This makes sense since the lights are aimed up at oncoming traffic, but it won't blind them, since the setting is low enough. The xenon lights should therefore stay off during the daytime. At least this is how it is on my '96 528i (Canadian model).<p>: btw, I think Xenon lights are definitely worth the extra bucks. They're much brighter at night, and less blinding. As an analogy, compare incandescent desklamps to fluorescent.<p>: nelson<p></i>

Rick C
10-28-1998, 08:55 AM
Personally i HATE Daytime Running Lights for the following reasons.<p>1. You cannot turn your lights off.<p>2. Last year, in the middle of the day, my alternator decided to quite 30 miles from home. Since I do NOT have DRL I just turned off all electric accessories. With less drain on the battery I could get home. If I had DRL and could not turn them off I would have never made it.<p>3. I do a fair amount of travel to military installations. When you approach the guard gate you are required to turn your lights off so they can see the people in the car as it approaches. A couple of years ago during the gulf war I had a rental car with DRL I took to Norfolk Naval Station. The MP chewed me a new A**hole and basically said if I did not want to get shot I had better find a way to turn off those f***ing lights.<p>4: With all the hype about cleaning up the air why are we encouraging DRL. You have to burn gas to generate the electricity DRL use. Therfore DRL cause more air pollution = lung cancer = death<p>Conclusion: DRL can cost lives, waste fuel and compromise national security.<p>JUST SAY NO TO DRL<p>

knowitall
10-28-1998, 10:45 AM
1. Xenon has nothing to do with DRL. Xenon is on the low beams (outboard lights) only. DRL activates a dimmed high-beam (inboard lights) setting. DRL can be activated or deactivated via Car & Key Memory.<p>2. Xenon lights must be ordered in combination with foglights or the Sport Package (which includes foglights) on the 323i. <br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index