Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Arthur
10-28-1998, 12:57 PM
Anyone with an E46 experiencing any kind of creaks and groans. My car has got a creak - that sounds like a rusty old door hinge coming from somewhere behind me on the left. It happens when the rear left tire goes over bumps or potholes. Nothing seems to lose underneath - except if I pound the shock with my hand, I get a metallic rattle. The exhaust seems solid and doesn't make any noise when I push it around. It comes from behind the door so I suspect it's from the wheel well. There is nothing lose in the trunk. <br>Any clues?

David Vronsky
10-28-1998, 01:02 PM
I got the same thing! Have no idea what's wrong, was going to call the dealer, but didn't yet.<p><p><br><i>: Anyone with an E46 experiencing any kind of creaks and groans. My car has got a creak - that sounds like a rusty old door hinge coming from somewhere behind me on the left. It happens when the rear left tire goes over bumps or potholes. Nothing seems to lose underneath - except if I pound the shock with my hand, I get a metallic rattle. The exhaust seems solid and doesn't make any noise when I push it around. It comes from behind the door so I suspect it's from the wheel well. There is nothing lose in the trunk. <br>: Any clues? <p></i>

David Vronsky
10-28-1998, 01:14 PM
Just called the service department, they said they are not aware of any problems.<p><p>i>: I got the same thing! Have no idea what's wrong, was going to call the dealer, but didn't yet.<p><br>: <br>: : Anyone with an E46 experiencing any kind of creaks and groans. My car has got a creak - that sounds like a rusty old door hinge coming from somewhere behind me on the left. It happens when the rear left tire goes over bumps or potholes. Nothing seems to lose underneath - except if I pound the shock with my hand, I get a metallic rattle. The exhaust seems solid and doesn't make any noise when I push it around. It comes from behind the door so I suspect it's from the wheel well. There is nothing lose in the trunk. <br>: : Any clues? <p></i>

Alan
10-28-1998, 02:16 PM
<i>: Anyone with an E46 experiencing any kind of creaks and groans. My car has got a creak - that sounds like a rusty old door hinge coming from somewhere behind me on the left. It happens when the rear left tire goes over bumps or potholes. Nothing seems to lose underneath - except if I pound the shock with my hand, I get a metallic rattle. The exhaust seems solid and doesn't make any noise when I push it around. It comes from behind the door so I suspect it's from the wheel well. There is nothing lose in the trunk. </i><p>I have a Z3, not an E46, but there are two very common problems with the Z3 that produce a similar noise to what you have reported. One is the rear shock mount which apparently can rattle--there is some service bulletin to fix that on the Z3. The other is a gas tank strap that has some foam insulation or something on it that apparently can come loose and make a noise like that. The E46 may be too new for them to have diagnosed and issued bulletins, but you might want to ask your dealer if they'll check out these two areas on your cars.<p><br>--Alan

DCC
10-28-1998, 02:39 PM
Does this creak happens only when the car is flexing?...like when you are pulling into a strip-mall parking, or into a gas station that has an elevated slab.<br>It is does that, then there is a flex issue here...alot of times...sounds like this would come from japanese cars assembled here in the usa or german cars assembled in mexico.<br>I have always maintained that it is a quality issue and nothing more.<br>if your dealer can diagnose it and fix it without having to tear the car apart...good...if not, sometimes it goes away with the change of the season...I guess because of expansion and contraction of the panel fit.<p><p><br><i>: Anyone with an E46 experiencing any kind of creaks and groans. My car has got a creak - that sounds like a rusty old door hinge coming from somewhere behind me on the left. It happens when the rear left tire goes over bumps or potholes. Nothing seems to lose underneath - except if I pound the shock with my hand, I get a metallic rattle. The exhaust seems solid and doesn't make any noise when I push it around. It comes from behind the door so I suspect it's from the wheel well. There is nothing lose in the trunk. <br>: Any clues? <p></i>

Arthur
10-28-1998, 04:32 PM
What a terrific response!! <p>For everyone; There are two gas tanks on the E46. The pump is on the RHS so the LHS empties first. The tank rattled when it was empty - but I don't think that is the problem. <br>The shock has a cover on it which protects the exposed piston rod - but again the rattle it produces doesn't sound right. <br>I believe the suspension bushings are groaning or the spring is groaning in its mounts. <br>Can I spray some WD-40 on the bushings and the upper and lower springs mounts to try a temporary fix??<p>Thanks again folks.<br>Arthur

David
10-28-1998, 04:41 PM
I was told by a friend of mine that works for BMWNA that many of the early E46's have bushing problems. This could be what is causing the problems.

Eric
10-28-1998, 05:45 PM
This is kind of a tangent and might even be a dumb question, but why does the E46 have two gas tanks instead of one? <p><i>: What a terrific response!! <p>: For everyone; There are two gas tanks on the E46. The pump is on the RHS so the LHS empties first. The tank rattled when it was empty - but I don't think that is the problem. <br>: The shock has a cover on it which protects the exposed piston rod - but again the rattle it produces doesn't sound right. <br>: I believe the suspension bushings are groaning or the spring is groaning in its mounts. <br>: Can I spray some WD-40 on the bushings and the upper and lower springs mounts to try a temporary fix??<p>: Thanks again folks.<br>: Arthur<p></i>

slc1230
10-29-1998, 02:11 AM
One tank, two halves of tank. Tank has two halves to straddle the driveshaft. Tank halves stabilize levels when engine is running, ie fuel pump is pumping

Arthur
10-29-1998, 08:23 AM
<i>Well - I did another two hour number on my car looking for the noise last nite...to avoid the dealer of course. No luck. I suspect the bushings more than ever now. Found the CD harness though and broke a couple of trunk liner push pins. <br>Can I lubricate the bushings anyone??<br></i>

Steve
10-29-1998, 11:25 AM
<i>: This is kind of a tangent and might even be a dumb question, but why does the E46 have two gas tanks instead of one?<p>Recent (92-98?) E36s have two tanks also. They are positioned for BALANCED (left, right) weight over the rear wheels so they (BMW) can get close to 50/50 (front, rear) weight distribution.<p>: : What a terrific response!! <p>: : For everyone; There are two gas tanks on the E46. The pump is on the RHS so the LHS empties first. The tank rattled when it was empty - but I don't think that is the problem. <br>: : The shock has a cover on it which protects the exposed piston rod - but again the rattle it produces doesn't sound right. <br>: : I believe the suspension bushings are groaning or the spring is groaning in its mounts. <br>: : Can I spray some WD-40 on the bushings and the upper and lower springs mounts to try a temporary fix??<p>: : Thanks again folks.<br>: : Arthur<p><p></i>

ARthur
10-30-1998, 07:50 AM
My son, all of 9 years old, found the problem by using his butt - literally. It's the back seat!<br>The seat portion does not sit well in the clamps that hold it to the body and small distortions or shifts in the body versus the seat cause the seat fixtures to rub against the body clamps. Putting about 85 lbs on each end of the seat (my son) solves the problem. But I haven't got a permanent fix. In fact I don't even know how to lift the seat up. ANyone got any ideas??

David Vronsky
10-30-1998, 03:52 PM
Mine is solved too, turned out to be Parking brake <br>:)<p><i>: My son, all of 9 years old, found the problem by using his butt - literally. It's the back seat!<br>: The seat portion does not sit well in the clamps that hold it to the body and small distortions or shifts in the body versus the seat cause the seat fixtures to rub against the body clamps. Putting about 85 lbs on each end of the seat (my son) solves the problem. But I haven't got a permanent fix. In fact I don't even know how to lift the seat up. ANyone got any ideas??<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index