Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

phred
10-28-1998, 02:26 PM
Think about this:<p>"Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority... It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights, and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation-- and their ideas from suppression-- at the hand of an intolerant society."<p>Justice Stevens, McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Commission, 1996.

Alex B. (no fake names here, i.e. Phred)
10-28-1998, 03:06 PM
Some of us put down real names, real e-mails and such because God forbid, we may be able to help some fellow BMW enthusiast by sending an e-mail and pass on some important information instead of carrying on a long post conversation and take up Alan's precious bandwidth. I think identity and e-mail is stricly optional at this website, but I really wish it was mandatory.<p>You are now stating quotes from our historical court cases and US history to justify that fact you never use your real name and choose to me a fictitious character instead of a real man??? Come on now Phred or whatever your real name happens to be ! Ask Alan, our moderator about this and he will disagreee with you as he has said before as well. <p>Alex B.

Andi
10-28-1998, 05:29 PM
Your constitutional rights apply in public places as long as they don't infringe on those of others. I.E. it is actually illegal to cuss somebody out in public and the police will arrest you. <p>I bring up this example because you seem to be taking this board for granted as a public place where you can behave however you want behind the curtain of anonymity. It's not -- these boards take a lot of work and resources to run and I for one am grateful to Alan for running it, and I don't take it for granted. Yes I know what I'm talking about -- I run a board just like this one for the Nissan Maxima. --Andi<p><br><i>: Think about this:<p>: "Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority... It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights, and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation-- and their ideas from suppression-- at the hand of an intolerant society."<p>: Justice Stevens, McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Commission, 1996. <p></i>

Chris C. Hsu
10-28-1998, 07:48 PM
<i>: Think about this:<p>: "Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority... It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights, and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation-- and their ideas from suppression-- at the hand of an intolerant society."<p>: Justice Stevens, McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Commission, 1996. <p></i> Give me a break... this is only an internet message post board. It's not like you are publishing a highly controversial paper or novel... <p>Chris<p><p>ops...

Hotnut (my real name)
10-29-1998, 12:41 AM
Most of your post are friggin' novels.<p><i>: Some of us put down real names, real e-mails and such because God forbid, we may be able to help some fellow BMW enthusiast by sending an e-mail and pass on some important information instead of carrying on a long post conversation and take up Alan's precious bandwidth. I think identity and e-mail is stricly optional at this website, but I really wish it was mandatory.<p>: You are now stating quotes from our historical court cases and US history to justify that fact you never use your real name and choose to me a fictitious character instead of a real man??? Come on now Phred or whatever your real name happens to be ! Ask Alan, our moderator about this and he will disagreee with you as he has said before as well. <p>: Alex B.<p></i>

Andi
10-29-1998, 12:48 AM
His posts may be long, but at least in the opinion of some people here (including me), his posts at least say something constructive. There's a difference between using bandwidth and wasting it. A post like the one <b>you</b> just posted is waste. --Andi<p><i>: Most of your post are friggin' novels.<p>: : Some of us put down real names, real e-mails and such because God forbid, we may be able to help some fellow BMW enthusiast by sending an e-mail and pass on some important information instead of carrying on a long post conversation and take up Alan's precious bandwidth. I think identity and e-mail is stricly optional at this website, but I really wish it was mandatory.<p>: : You are now stating quotes from our historical court cases and US history to justify that fact you never use your real name and choose to me a fictitious character instead of a real man??? Come on now Phred or whatever your real name happens to be ! Ask Alan, our moderator about this and he will disagreee with you as he has said before as well. <p>: : Alex B.<p></i>

Mr. ///M3
10-29-1998, 11:56 AM
(nt)

Alex B.
10-29-1998, 02:59 PM
nt

Hotnut
10-29-1998, 05:06 PM
Alex, After reading in some of your other post that I "hate" you, I will not be teasing you anymore. Nothing could be further from the truth. You seem like a nice guy who is well-informed on BMW's, and I just could not resist tweaking you a little. No malice was intended whatsoever.<p><br><i>: nt<p></i>

Alex B.
10-29-1998, 06:23 PM
I have nothing against you personally. I would just wish the number of you guys that sort of, kind of, in a funny way, have it in for me would go down to a big fat zero. I am an enthusiast just like you and I respect you if you do the same and life will be beautiful. <p>If you wrote your real name though, you may get just a tad more credibilty from others too. If your real name truely IS Hotnut (highly doubtful), then I apologize for making fun of your name. But I have a feeling you are trying to pull a fast one on me again with your name !!!<p>Take care my BMW brother and let the forum be a nice, peaceful, and mellow sanctuary for all us BMW nuts !!!<p>:-)<p>Alex B.<p>

Robert
10-30-1998, 02:22 AM
All of Alex's posts have been informative and helpful. There is certainly no "waste of bandwidth" when a post is presented so as to provide answers to other peoples questions and to assist other enthusiasts in making informed buying decisions. Alex has always been sincere in trying to help others, so show a little maturity and cut him some slack.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index