Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jim
10-29-1998, 01:21 PM
<i>When I found this message board, I expected postings from individuals who were interested in exchanging insightful information about past, present and even future 3-series cars. Why? Because people who truly appreciate this site have one thing in common - they like to drive and, more specifically, they like to drive BMWs.<p>For the most part, this message board has delivered on that expectation. But, disturbingly, a few people have used it for messages that I cannot understand. For example, this posting that I am responding to. What significance does this have to a message board about 3-series BMW's? Why is it important to know the salaries of these individuals who have purchased 3-series BMW's?<p>Where I live, BMWs are quite popular. However, their reputation seems to struggle slightly with a common stereotype; one that labels all BMW owners as materialistic. Many people have commented to me personally, that I only want to drive a BMW because of the badge on the front of the hood. And that stereotype really burns me up. These postings only make that stereotype grow and I believe that they are completely uncalled for.<p>My name is Jim.<p>How much money I make is my business and has no bearing on the quality of information I can provide to this message board.<p>I cannot afford to buy a new 3-series BMW and again, that has no bearing at all on the quality of information I can provide to this message board.<p>I hope that information is helpful.<br></i>

Dan
10-29-1998, 01:44 PM
<i>: When I found this message board, I expected postings from individuals who were interested in exchanging insightful information about past, present and even future 3-series cars. Why? Because people who truly appreciate this site have one thing in common - they like to drive and, more specifically, they like to drive BMWs.<p>: For the most part, this message board has delivered on that expectation. But, disturbingly, a few people have used it for messages that I cannot understand. For example, this posting that I am responding to. What significance does this have to a message board about 3-series BMW's? Why is it important to know the salaries of these individuals who have purchased 3-series BMW's?<p>: Where I live, BMWs are quite popular. However, their reputation seems to struggle slightly with a common stereotype; one that labels all BMW owners as materialistic. Many people have commented to me personally, that I only want to drive a BMW because of the badge on the front of the hood. And that stereotype really burns me up. These postings only make that stereotype grow and I believe that they are completely uncalled for.<p>: My name is Jim.<p>: How much money I make is my business and has no bearing on the quality of information I can provide to this message board.<p>: I cannot afford to buy a new 3-series BMW and again, that has no bearing at all on the quality of information I can provide to this message board.<p>: I hope that information is helpful.<p></i>

jeff@theFixx.org
10-29-1998, 01:55 PM
<br> It's just human nature, Jim. I admit that I'm<br>curious too, though I'm too chicken to post my<br>salary. (-:<p><i>: <p>: How much money I make is my business and has no bearing on the quality of information I can provide to this message board.<p>: I cannot afford to buy a new 3-series BMW and again, that has no bearing at all on the quality of information I can provide to this message board.<p>: I hope that information is helpful.<p></i><p> Not very.

Trev
10-29-1998, 03:04 PM
Jim I agree on your experience with others questioning our motives to drive BMW's. I myself have always wanted one and up until 2 years ago I would never have been able to afford one.<br>It bothers me that other look at the car I drive and may think I'm a snob or have a rich daddy (I'm almost 30, married, and haven't lived at home since I was 19).<br>I have a successful business and have been very lucky to have won a substantial sum of money in a lottery 2 years ago. I'm not ashamed to tell people this fact or divulge how much I make nor do I go out of my way to flaunt it. BMW's are nice cars, well built and have a good reputation. They may cost more but I don't care.<p>So, others on this board may read this and shake your heads but I'm sure we can all agree that ot's the car that matters, not the person...<p>

David
10-29-1998, 03:45 PM
Rich or poor young or old anyone can drive a BMW if they want to. Enjoying a BMW is not defined by driving the latest most expensive model. It is really quite hip to have a 2002 (in decent shape - very GenX) so how is that yuppie. One thing is common is that BMW offers a driving experience that most don't understand until they get behind the wheel. Once you get behind any BMW and drive it for a while you just won't care what others think. In a way they will envy your confidence - not the car.<p>P.S. My first car was a SAAB 900 Turbo. I bought it new when I was 24 years old. I worked my *** off teaching myself the computer trade and earned every penny. After many 80 hour work weeks and a chunk of money in the bank I rewarded myself by buying a great car. Two weeks after owning it some jerk in a pickup cuts me off and yells some insult about daddy's money. It was frustrating until it I realized my life and career was just getting started and his was as far as it would ever go. It is the difference between being confident and capable vs. envious and limited.

slc1230
10-30-1998, 02:34 AM
Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse this board surprised me again. I have gotten used to the constant "the dealers suck and are ripping me off". But now salary? There are people here who I would imagine cannot afford a brand new E-46. This board I would think was supposed to be about the love of the 3 series old or new. And a way for the owners to exchange information about the cars themselves, not how much I payed for it or how much I make. <br>slc1230

A
10-30-1998, 10:09 AM
Jim, I've got to admit, it's the <br>curiousity of it that killed me.<p>What I really wanted to get a <br>correlation of was exactly what <br>you mentioned..."our love for BMW's"<p>Now I did not put anyone down by <br>saying only those with late model<br>cars above 40K need reply. No, <br>instead I wanted to hear from those<br>working at the convienence store making<br>$8/hr who saved up two-years worth of <br>money to buy that '87 318i. <p>At the same time I also wanted to see<br>how the big dogs who drive the 750's, <br>and 540i 6-spds. live. <p>I couldn't give two-****s about how<br>much the owner of chevy's make. Weather<br>or not you wish to admit to it, those<br>of us who drive BMW's are far and few and<br>are looked at as a different breed. Never<br>having owned a BMW (for the matter, never <br>having know anyone who owned a BMW), I <br>still feel the same way. Did I buy my car<br>for it's prestige - HELL YEAH, but I also<br>got a great driving car, one that bears true<br>to the saying 'ultimate driving experience'. <p>How much one makes has no relevance to owning<br>a BMW, but knowing that owners can come from<br>all walks of life to appreciate these beautiful<br>machines does. If you feel offended by knowing<br>the guy who picks up your garbage every morning<br>appreciates BMW's just as much as you do, or <br>that your high-priced lawyer also owns one,<br>fine. But realize that BMW could be called a 'universal' car, had it not be for the <br>universally high price.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index