Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Kapil
10-29-1998, 02:04 PM
I am having a hard time trying to decide between a titanium-silver color with black interior vs an orient-blue color with grey interior, and I have to decide all options by tomorrow!! I know it is a pretty personal thing but I would still like to hear other people's opinions / experiences.<p>Thanks in advance to all who reply<p>--Kapil<br>

Alex B.
10-29-1998, 02:45 PM
First pros and cons of Silver/black:<p>Pros:<p>1. Silver, in my opinion is the best color on the E46<br>2. Silver is easy to keep clean (versus black, orient blue).<br>3. The silver color (or white or steel blue) show the front headlights scallops much better than dark colors. These are the curves below the front headlights cut into the body.<br>4. Silver is a hot colr right now<br>5. Black interior nice contrast to silver exterior<br>6. Black interior easily to keep clean<p>Cons of Silver/black<p>1. Black interior gets hot<br>2. Black interior shows dirt and dust much more than gray or tan<br>3. Silver exterior could not be such a hot color 3-4 years from now<br>4. If you are buying a 323i, the black roof strips and piece over the license plate are not body colored. On a light color like white or silver, they kind of clash.<br>5. Extra $475 charge for metallic paint of silver<p><br>Pros and cons of Orient Blue/Gray:<p>Pros:<p>1. The orient blue looks great when the sun hits it in direct daylight.<br>2. The black plastic strips of othe 323i are not visilbe on a dark color such as orient blue<br>3. Gray leather is the best color interio, IMHO.<br>4. Gray leather is better than black in show dirt or dust<br>5. Blue/gray combination is beautiful (better than blue/tan)<p>Cons of orient blue/gray:<p>1. Orient blue color is so dark that in any other time other than daytime, it can easily be mistaken for black, especially at night<br>2. Extra $475 charge (while black in no charge)<br>3. Gray leather harder to keep clean than black (dust problems, not really) <br>4. The front headlights scallops nice seen on dark colors, thus easily much more mistaken for an E36 by those who don't know BMW's as much as we do<br>5. Harder to keep clean a dark color car such as orient blue or black (lots of trip to car washes)<br>6. Resale of orient blue not as predictable as resale of white, black, and may be silver.<p>My conclusion and opinion in your situation:<p>1. If you are going to go with a dark color, save your money and get black and save $475. The resale on the black color is better than orient blue just because black is more popular w/people.<p>2. I would go silver and gray instead of silver and black. If you are getting leather (you probably are), why not get a color that is not available in leatherette instead of one that is?<br>The black interior will also make your interior look smaller and more compact than it really is.<p>My decision if I were you:<p>Titanium silver w/gray or Black w/gray or Black w/black leatherette<p>Just my $0.02<p>BTW, mine on order is a 323i, silver w/gray<p>Alex B.

TrevP
10-29-1998, 02:55 PM
I ordered a 99 328i in Silver with the grey leather. I wanted the sand beige but after seeing it on a E36 with looked terrible. Too "yellow".<br>Grey on the other hand is second choice and gives the car a more executive look.<br>All the E46's I've seen have black interiors and I didn't like them.<p>In the end thought it's your choice. Good luck!

Alex B.
10-29-1998, 03:19 PM
: 6. Black interior easily to keep clean<p>Meaning black in general is easier to keep clean but still dirt and dust particles do show more on black.<p>: 3. Silver exterior could not be such a hot color 3-4 years from now<p>Silver may not, instead of could not be such as hot color.....<p>: 4. The front headlights scallops nice seen on dark colors, thus easily much more mistaken for an E36 by those who don't know BMW's as much as we do<p>The scallops are better seen on lighter colors, not so much in darker colors. A typo.<p>Also another good combination would be Alpine white with gray leather. I agree with the other guys about the gray looking the richest of all, and black not making the car look its best.<p>Alex B.

Patrick
10-29-1998, 06:14 PM
<i>: First pros and cons of Silver/black:<p>: Pros:<p>: 1. Silver, in my opinion is the best color on the E46<br>: 2. Silver is easy to keep clean (versus black, orient blue).<br>: 3. The silver color (or white or steel blue) show the front headlights scallops much better than dark colors. These are the curves below the front headlights cut into the body.<br>: 4. Silver is a hot colr right now<br>: 5. Black interior nice contrast to silver exterior<br>: 6. Black interior easily to keep clean<p>: Cons of Silver/black<p>: 1. Black interior gets hot<br>: 2. Black interior shows dirt and dust much more than gray or tan<br>: 3. Silver exterior could not be such a hot color 3-4 years from now<br>: 4. If you are buying a 323i, the black roof strips and piece over the license plate are not body colored. On a light color like white or silver, they kind of clash.<br>: 5. Extra $475 charge for metallic paint of silver<p>: <br>: Pros and cons of Orient Blue/Gray:<p>: Pros:<p>: 1. The orient blue looks great when the sun hits it in direct daylight.<br>: 2. The black plastic strips of othe 323i are not visilbe on a dark color such as orient blue<br>: 3. Gray leather is the best color interio, IMHO.<br>: 4. Gray leather is better than black in show dirt or dust<br>: 5. Blue/gray combination is beautiful (better than blue/tan)<p>: Cons of orient blue/gray:<p>: 1. Orient blue color is so dark that in any other time other than daytime, it can easily be mistaken for black, especially at night<br>: 2. Extra $475 charge (while black in no charge)<br>: 3. Gray leather harder to keep clean than black (dust problems, not really) <br>: 4. The front headlights scallops nice seen on dark colors, thus easily much more mistaken for an E36 by those who don't know BMW's as much as we do<br>: 5. Harder to keep clean a dark color car such as orient blue or black (lots of trip to car washes)<br>: 6. Resale of orient blue not as predictable as resale of white, black, and may be silver.<p>: My conclusion and opinion in your situation:<p>: 1. If you are going to go with a dark color, save your money and get black and save $475. The resale on the black color is better than orient blue just because black is more popular w/people.<p>: 2. I would go silver and gray instead of silver and black. If you are getting leather (you probably are), why not get a color that is not available in leatherette instead of one that is?<br>: The black interior will also make your interior look smaller and more compact than it really is.<p>: My decision if I were you:<p>: Titanium silver w/gray or Black w/gray or Black w/black leatherette<p>: Just my $0.02<p>: BTW, mine on order is a 323i, silver w/gray<p>: Alex B.<p></i><p>Why are people so infatuated w/ the silver? It looks rather boring, especially when you consider the other options: Sienna Red is gorgeous in the sunlight as is the Steel Blue, which looks even better at night. <p>Some may argue about resale value, but we're not buying cars for other people right? If that were the case, I would buy a silver or black Honda Accord. Not that the Accord is a bad car, just the least objectionable. Of course, this is assuming that people who buy used cars want mundane colors.<p>Perhaps I'm jaded by living in Los Angeles, where silver or black BMW's seem to blend into the smog.<p><br>--Patrick <p>(Steel Blue for me.)

Patrick
10-29-1998, 06:33 PM
if you like that tinge to it. I have seen it in the dealership and in the streets. I just think the silver is such a clean color and the lighter colors seem to make the car look a little larger as opposed to black or orient blue. My second choice after silver would be steel blue partly due to the grayish look of it at night. It is very nice. I guess I am such an admirer of the Porsche Boxster in silver that I am biased towards this color. Your car will also look great and I wish you the best.<p>Alex B.

David V.
10-29-1998, 06:39 PM
I was trying to make the same choice, I went with orient/grey, the car lookes more expensive, my girfriend is of the same opinion. <p><p><i>: I am having a hard time trying to decide between a titanium-silver color with black interior vs an orient-blue color with grey interior, and I have to decide all options by tomorrow!! I know it is a pretty personal thing but I would still like to hear other people's opinions / experiences.<p>: Thanks in advance to all who reply<p>: --Kapil<p></i>

Alex B.
10-29-1998, 07:07 PM
I wrote your name, Patrick, instead of mine. I apologize for the confusion.<p>Alex

Chris Hsu
10-29-1998, 08:41 PM
<i>: : There are just too many silver bimmers here in south land... why aren't ppl try other colors for a change? I personally like white alot... Give me pros and cons for white? Alex?<p>sincerely,<p>Chris<p></i>

Alex B.
10-29-1998, 09:02 PM
White pros:<p>1. Easy to keep clean<br>2. shows off the cars new front scallops below headlights well<br>3. good resale<br>4. no brainer color<br>5. makes the E46 look larger<br>6. goes well with all interior color choices<p>White cons:<p>1. Seems like half the cars on the road are all white (fridge white, not pearl white or offwhite)<br>2. Too boring<br>3. not metallic<br>4. does not say anything about your taste (ok, maybe it does!)<br>5. sometimes not as easy to keep clean as silver or light blue (ie steel blue)<br>6. the plastic pieces of the 323i show REAL well on the white where as darker colors will hide it (these are two roof strips and black plate over lic. plate)<p>Any other questions ? Hey, I am bored!<p>Alex B.

Chris
10-29-1998, 09:58 PM
<i>: how can I avoid buying a demo car when I go to the dealers? <p>Should I be alarmed when the dealers told me I can have the car right away? and not by ordering?<p>sincerely,<p>Chris<br></i>

Alex B.
10-29-1998, 10:15 PM
These demos have been practically driven Indy 500 style by others. I for one, will either get a used car from PP from the original owner, or get a brand new one, ordered with 0 miles.<p>Alex B.

Robert
10-30-1998, 02:50 AM
You are right that there are alot of silver cars in L.A. They look really good but the color that I think is really hot is the steel blue. The only steel blues I have seen have been at Assael in Duarte and Savage BMW in Ontario and they both had black interiors. Has anyone seen a steel blue w/ grey leather and how did it look?

Patrick
10-30-1998, 06:44 AM
<i>: You are right that there are alot of silver cars in L.A. They look really good but the color that I think is really hot is the steel blue. The only steel blues I have seen have been at Assael in Duarte and Savage BMW in Ontario and they both had black interiors. Has anyone seen a steel blue w/ grey leather and how did it look?<p></i><p>I may be biased, but I agree that steel blue looks the best with the grey leather. If you're in Beverly Hills anytime soon, drive past the BMW dealership. They've got one on display in their front window wearing AC Schnitzer rims...very cool.<p>--Patrick<br>

CCP
10-30-1998, 09:15 AM
I have a 328i in steel blue with grey leather, and I've absolutely fallen in love with the color. The metallic colors, IMHO have a more complex appearance-- depending on your viewing angle and the sun's position (or at night), the car can take on a range of shades. Of course it costs extra for the privlege, but I feel that it's well worth it.<p><i>: You are right that there are alot of silver cars in L.A. They look really good but the color that I think is really hot is the steel blue. The only steel blues I have seen have been at Assael in Duarte and Savage BMW in Ontario and they both had black interiors. Has anyone seen a steel blue w/ grey leather and how did it look?<p></i>

Alex B.
10-30-1998, 01:32 PM
The AC Schnitzer BMW 328i in the showroom is not a steel blue. It is a titanium silver. I even sat inside it and saw it from inches. It was not a steel blue.<p>Alex B.

Alisa
10-30-1998, 02:04 PM
<i>: Has anyone seen a steel blue w/ grey leather and how did it look?<p></i><p>I drove a steel blue/ w gray leather -- it looked great. The gray interior really complemented the steel blue exterior. I ordered the silver w/ gray leather, but the steel blue/gray leather was my second choice.

Patrick
10-30-1998, 03:56 PM
<i>: The AC Schnitzer BMW 328i in the showroom is not a steel blue. It is a titanium silver. I even sat inside it and saw it from inches. It was not a steel blue.<p>: Alex B.<p></i><p>Alex, you are such a dumb ***. When did you go, a month ago? I drive by there on a daily basis. Look at the EAST side of the store, not the west. <p>Of course, maybe things are different in the store when you appear. I mean you the ARE Alex B, right?<p><br>--Patrick

Alex B.
10-30-1998, 04:49 PM
Dear Patrick,<p>A month ago, there was a silver with black AC Schitzner 328i sitting in the WEST side of the showroom, with lots of aftermarket stuff. If they have sold that one and replaced it with an identical steel blue one, then you are right and I stand corrected. But a month ago, it was silver Patrick, I sat in it and was admiring it for a good 15 minutes. It could not have been steel blue. <p>I will go there this weekend on my way to a friends house and look and see if it is the steel blue. If it is, then it is a new one that replaced the silver one that I saw. In anycase, I did not know that they have sold the silver one that I saw and replaced it with a steel blue. <p>Hey back off the insults Patrick. I have been nice to you lately. Do not go back to your old self! We are talking about cars here and each others girlfriends' looks here. No need to resort to insults, AGAIN ! <p>Sincerely with respect,<p>Alex B.

Kapil
10-31-1998, 01:37 AM
Wow, what a terrific response!!<p>I saw a steel-blue car for the very first time today (in all previous trips to the 3 dealerships around this area, they never had any) and immediately fell in love with it. It is simply awesome, I was drooling over it so much, it made me thirsty!! Needless to say, that is what I have decided upon, steel-blue with grey leather and grey high-gloss trim.<p>I owe you guys big time (especially Alex's pros/cons for each color). Thanks.<p>--Kapil<p><br>: I am having a hard time trying to decide between a titanium-silver color with black interior vs an orient-blue color with grey interior, and I have to decide all options by tomorrow!! I know it is a pretty personal thing but I would still like to hear other people's opinions / experiences.<p>: Thanks in advance to all who reply<p>: --Kapil<p>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index