Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Karim
10-29-1998, 08:12 PM
Would you get a 99 323is, 99 323i, used 98 328i, used 98 323is, or splurge a little and get a new 328i stripped for $34K? I am confused. One one hand, I am afraid to buy a first year car (99 323i/328i), but yet do not want to get a car that will look old in 2 or 3 years (old body 323is). Can anyone of you guys give me some opinions and help in helping me decide? I have a budget of $30,000 and want a new or used 3 series. <p>Thank You for your help.<p>Karim

Gary
10-29-1998, 08:16 PM
The new car is so much more improved with no very little change in price. The only advantage of getting an old body coupe is that they may give it to you at invoice or just a few dollars above it. The 99 E46 is a better buy than a new 99 E36 323is. <p>Garret Dickson

Andi
10-29-1998, 08:39 PM
New 328i. Wow. --Andi<p><i>: Would you get a 99 323is, 99 323i, used 98 328i, used 98 323is, or splurge a little and get a new 328i stripped for $34K? I am confused. One one hand, I am afraid to buy a first year car (99 323i/328i), but yet do not want to get a car that will look old in 2 or 3 years (old body 323is). Can anyone of you guys give me some opinions and help in helping me decide? I have a budget of $30,000 and want a new or used 3 series. <p>: Thank You for your help.<p>: Karim<p></i>

jeff@thefixx.org
10-29-1998, 08:46 PM
<br>EASY! '99 323i<p>Lots of new technology, both performance and <br>safety oriented. Much improved interior. Great new <br>styling. You'll also get better resale value from<br>the E46 for several (7?) years until the next <br>bodystyle emerges. The E36 is bound to drop at a <br>faster and faster rate over the next year or so<br>as more and more people realize that it is an <br>"old" body style.<p>$30k should get you the 323i with sport or premium <br>package, and the HK upgrade and onboard computer.<br>I know, many don't like the HK stereo, but I <br>thought it was fine... hmm... wich leads me to a <br>different question (I'll ask in another post)<p>jeff<p><i>: Would you get a 99 323is, 99 323i, used 98 328i, used 98 323is, or splurge a little and get a new 328i stripped for $34K? I am confused. One one hand, I am afraid to buy a first year car (99 323i/328i), but yet do not want to get a car that will look old in 2 or 3 years (old body 323is). Can anyone of you guys give me some opinions and help in helping me decide? I have a budget of $30,000 and want a new or used 3 series. <p>: Thank You for your help.<p>: Karim<p></i>

Karim
10-29-1998, 08:48 PM
That would make the 328i a shoe in for sure. But Andi, would you get a new 99 323i or new 99 323is for $30K ??? I know the 323is comes with standard alloys and some other stuff that is optional on the 323i.<p>Thanks for your help.<p>

Karim
10-29-1998, 09:14 PM
instead of the OBC Jeff? What is so good about the OBC? Does it not give you gas mileage, outside temperature, miles remaining to empty and some other function? Do you really think it is even worth having in our cars? Somehow, I can pass on it. I will get wood for $500 and make the car more elegant. What do you think Jeff?

Andi
10-29-1998, 10:48 PM
Like I said, I'd rather have my Maxima than a 323. Not enough go. But if I could I'd be driving that red E46 328 right now. Gimme a year or two... --Andi<p><br><i>: That would make the 328i a shoe in for sure. But Andi, would you get a new 99 323i or new 99 323is for $30K ??? I know the 323is comes with standard alloys and some other stuff that is optional on the 323i.<p>: Thanks for your help.<p></i>

jeff@thefixx.org
10-30-1998, 03:40 AM
<i>: instead of the OBC Jeff? What is so good about the OBC? Does it not give you gas mileage, outside temperature, miles remaining to empty and some other function?<br></i><p> I use the MPG feature on both our Passat wagon and<br>my 318is quite a bit, and love the idea of "time<br>till a refill" remaining gallons bit. Whether the<br>latter is useful is questionable, but I do know <br>that since I've been paying attention to the <br>average and instantaneous MPG in our cars that <br>I've been getting a lot better mileage.<p><i> Do you really think it is even worth having in our cars? Somehow, I can pass on it. I will get wood for $500 and make the car more elegant. What do you think Jeff?<br></i><p> I think that if you like wood, then forgo the <br>computer. I personally don't care for wood in cars.<br>Call me weird, but I think nearly all wood trim I<br>see in cars:<br> a) looks fake<br> b) makes the car look (or attempt to look) more<br> luxurious<p> Point (a) is bad enough, but (b) is what really <br> pushes me away from wood - I want my car to look<br> sportier, not more Lexus-like.<p> I know that I'm definatly in the minority on this<br> one - nearly noone else I know seems to agree with<br> me, but I can live with that. (-:<p> In the end, please yourself - you'll be the one<br> looking at your dash day in and day out.<p> jeff<br>

Patrick
10-30-1998, 06:40 AM
<i>: : instead of the OBC Jeff? What is so good about the OBC? Does it not give you gas mileage, outside temperature, miles remaining to empty and some other function?<p>: I use the MPG feature on both our Passat wagon and<br>: my 318is quite a bit, and love the idea of "time<br>: till a refill" remaining gallons bit. Whether the<br>: latter is useful is questionable, but I do know <br>: that since I've been paying attention to the <br>: average and instantaneous MPG in our cars that <br>: I've been getting a lot better mileage.<p>: Do you really think it is even worth having in our cars? Somehow, I can pass on it. I will get wood for $500 and make the car more elegant. What do you think Jeff?<p>: I think that if you like wood, then forgo the <br>: computer. I personally don't care for wood in cars.<br>: Call me weird, but I think nearly all wood trim I<br>: see in cars:<br>: a) looks fake<br>: b) makes the car look (or attempt to look) more<br>: luxurious<p>: Point (a) is bad enough, but (b) is what really <br>: pushes me away from wood - I want my car to look<br>: sportier, not more Lexus-like.<p>: I know that I'm definatly in the minority on this<br>: one - nearly noone else I know seems to agree with<br>: me, but I can live with that. (-:<p>: In the end, please yourself - you'll be the one<br>: looking at your dash day in and day out.<p>: jeff<br>: <p></i><p>I'm with you on the wood Jeff. I think the wood trim looks rather unmotivated in the E-46. Kind of like those stick on veneers you can buy via mail order. Just my opinion. Maybe it looks better against the tan leather. <p>--Patrick

Amit
10-30-1998, 09:46 AM
Wood is definetly a 'must-have'. <br>The high-gloss trim looks very <br>chessey and of poor quality, IMHO.<p>The wood give a much more 'luxury' <br>apperance and I can assure you, that<br>you'll hear the 'ohh's' & 'ahh's' by <br>getting it.<p>Amit

Yella
10-30-1998, 01:37 PM
Wood is good everywhere except the shifter. I like to have black leather shifter. I think wood is too soft. What say?

LL
11-02-1998, 01:16 AM
<i>: Wood is definetly a 'must-have'. <br>: The high-gloss trim looks very <br>: chessey and of poor quality, IMHO.<p>: The wood give a much more 'luxury' <br>: apperance and I can assure you, that<br>: you'll hear the 'ohh's' & 'ahh's' by <br>: getting it.<p>: Amit<p></i><p>I must agree with this. I ordered the wood, and it makes the car look the equal of any luxury car in the 30k-40k range. If you get a chance, check out the interior of the 528. The E46 with wood looks very similar.<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index