Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

jeff@theFixx.org
10-29-1998, 09:22 PM
<p>Ok, we went over this one a while ago, but I wanted to ask<br>any of you E46 owners who got the HK stereo upgrade and<br>have lived with it for a few weeks what they now think of<br>it. <p>I'm *not* asking for the first impressions that people had<br>when test driving the car -- I've done that myself already,<br>and am rather looking for some opinions where people have<br>had the car for a while and played their own cds in it.<p>Specific questions: can you hear the speed sensitive eq<br>changing as the engine/road noise changes?<p>How about the bass/treble balance? Reports have been that<br>its bass heavy and treble shy - are you finding this <br>noticable on a day to day basis?<p>Last: are you noticing any distortion? With 300-odd watts<br>one would hope not, but you never know.<p>thanks,<p>jeff (currently obsessed E36 geek, future E46 owner)<br>

David V.
10-29-1998, 09:50 PM
I've had it since Aug 8th, my e46, 328 was one of the first build. Overall HK is not bad, CDs sound better then the radio or the cassette (I installed the BMW CD changer myself, saved about $300).<br>I have treble turned about %85 and bass about %50, otherwise you don't get a full sound. I don't think I've felt speed sensitive eq, or maybe just wasn't paying attention. Anyway, I thing the system is quite good, but could be better. <p><i><br>: Ok, we went over this one a while ago, but I wanted to ask<br>: any of you E46 owners who got the HK stereo upgrade and<br>: have lived with it for a few weeks what they now think of<br>: it. <p>: I'm *not* asking for the first impressions that people had<br>: when test driving the car -- I've done that myself already,<br>: and am rather looking for some opinions where people have<br>: had the car for a while and played their own cds in it.<p>: Specific questions: can you hear the speed sensitive eq<br>: changing as the engine/road noise changes?<p>: How about the bass/treble balance? Reports have been that<br>: its bass heavy and treble shy - are you finding this <br>: noticable on a day to day basis?<p>: Last: are you noticing any distortion? With 300-odd watts<br>: one would hope not, but you never know.<p>: thanks,<p>: jeff (currently obsessed E36 geek, future E46 owner)<p></i>

CCP
10-30-1998, 09:31 AM
David,<br>I'm interested in installing the BMW CD changer myself-- does it come with instructions? If not, could you give me some tips? I'd be grateful if you would email me.<p>Thanks<p><i>: I've had it since Aug 8th, my e46, 328 was one of the first build. Overall HK is not bad, CDs sound better then the radio or the cassette (I installed the BMW CD changer myself, saved about $300).<br>: I have treble turned about %85 and bass about %50, otherwise you don't get a full sound. I don't think I've felt speed sensitive eq, or maybe just wasn't paying attention. Anyway, I thing the system is quite good, but could be better. <p>: <br>: : Ok, we went over this one a while ago, but I wanted to ask<br>: : any of you E46 owners who got the HK stereo upgrade and<br>: : have lived with it for a few weeks what they now think of<br>: : it. <p>: : I'm *not* asking for the first impressions that people had<br>: : when test driving the car -- I've done that myself already,<br>: : and am rather looking for some opinions where people have<br>: : had the car for a while and played their own cds in it.<p>: : Specific questions: can you hear the speed sensitive eq<br>: : changing as the engine/road noise changes?<p>: : How about the bass/treble balance? Reports have been that<br>: : its bass heavy and treble shy - are you finding this <br>: : noticable on a day to day basis?<p>: : Last: are you noticing any distortion? With 300-odd watts<br>: : one would hope not, but you never know.<p>: : thanks,<p>: : jeff (currently obsessed E36 geek, future E46 owner)<p></i>

Alan
10-30-1998, 10:35 AM
<i>: Last: are you noticing any distortion? With 300-odd watts<br>: one would hope not, but you never know.</i><p><br>bmw doesn't mention the fact that those 300 watts are measured at <b>10% THD</b>!! so, if you had the stereo cranked up enough that it was actually putting out 300 watts, you would certainly be hearing a ton of distortion.<p>at a more acceptable THD level, the amplifier might...<b>might</b>...put out 100 watts if you summed up all of its channels.<p>you can take any amplifier and crank it until it distorts like crazy and then report a high wattage figure.<p>that's not to say that the HK stereo may not sound good--just don't compare BMW's published "300 watts" against a good aftermarket amplifier's wattage figure, as the aftermarket amplifier's figure will have been measured at something like .1% THD or .05% THD.<p><br>--Alan

David V.
10-30-1998, 11:07 AM
CCP, I donít see your e-mail address, so Iíll try to explain it here:<br>I bought a changer from a dealer through mail order. Total cost was a $500 and change. Donít just go over and buy it from a dealer, since that price is only available through the mail order.<br>It comes with a manual that is somewhat confusing, at least for someone who has never done it before, like myself. You would have to drill two holes in the trunk, and the metal is very thin, so be careful. You will need a drill and I think 7/16 bit. You will find the connection behind the left trunk cover. If your car is build before September, like mine, youíll need to attach an additional connector, I canít remember the part number, but itís in the E46 accessories catalog. <br>Bottom line is itís not too difficult, so if you have specific problem trying to install it, post it here and weíll try to help.<p><i>: David,<br>: I'm interested in installing the BMW CD changer myself-- does it come with instructions? If not, could you give me some tips? I'd be grateful if you would email me.<p>: Thanks<p>: : I've had it since Aug 8th, my e46, 328 was one of the first build. Overall HK is not bad, CDs sound better then the radio or the cassette (I installed the BMW CD changer myself, saved about $300).<br>: : I have treble turned about %85 and bass about %50, otherwise you don't get a full sound. I don't think I've felt speed sensitive eq, or maybe just wasn't paying attention. Anyway, I thing the system is quite good, but could be better. <p>: : <br>: : : Ok, we went over this one a while ago, but I wanted to ask<br>: : : any of you E46 owners who got the HK stereo upgrade and<br>: : : have lived with it for a few weeks what they now think of<br>: : : it. <p>: : : I'm *not* asking for the first impressions that people had<br>: : : when test driving the car -- I've done that myself already,<br>: : : and am rather looking for some opinions where people have<br>: : : had the car for a while and played their own cds in it.<p>: : : Specific questions: can you hear the speed sensitive eq<br>: : : changing as the engine/road noise changes?<p>: : : How about the bass/treble balance? Reports have been that<br>: : : its bass heavy and treble shy - are you finding this <br>: : : noticable on a day to day basis?<p>: : : Last: are you noticing any distortion? With 300-odd watts<br>: : : one would hope not, but you never know.<p>: : : thanks,<p>: : : jeff (currently obsessed E36 geek, future E46 owner)<p></i>

CCP
10-30-1998, 12:05 PM
David,<br>Thank you very much for the info. I didn't realize that there was an E46 accessories catalog or that it was possible to mail order for a reduced price. Could you tell me how I might be able to obtain the info, or what the number is for the mail order? The dealer tells me that the changer is $800 without installation! My car was built before September too, so it looks like I'm going to have to get the additional cable.<p>Thanks,<br>Chris<br>ccpark@webvanguard.com

David V.
10-30-1998, 02:02 PM
Call 1800-462-7292. tell them you saw an ad in the Roundel magazine (magazine issued by BMWCCA)<br>you need parts:<br>p/n 82 11 1 469 404 (changer)<br>p/n 82 11 1 470 416(install kit)<br>p/n 82 11 1 470 427 (powere&audio cable) for cars build before 8/98<br>You can also try calling the sponsor of this site, Quality Imports and see you's got the better price<p><i>: David,<br>: Thank you very much for the info. I didn't realize that there was an E46 accessories catalog or that it was possible to mail order for a reduced price. Could you tell me how I might be able to obtain the info, or what the number is for the mail order? The dealer tells me that the changer is $800 without installation! My car was built before September too, so it looks like I'm going to have to get the additional cable.<p>: Thanks,<br>: Chris<br>: ccpark@webvanguard.com<p></i>

CCP
10-30-1998, 02:51 PM
Thanks again! I just ordered the changer and the installation kit for about $540-- far cheaper than the dealer price! I'll keep you posted on how the installation goes.

David V.
10-30-1998, 03:47 PM
Yes, the dealer price is $808 + install,<br>good luck<p><i>: Thanks again! I just ordered the changer and the installation kit for about $540-- far cheaper than the dealer price! I'll keep you posted on how the installation goes.<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index