Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Alex B.
10-31-1998, 07:00 AM
I was passing by Sterling BMW in Newport Beach last night and right in front, they have a new 99 328i Sport package, Alpine white with gray leather interior. This car seriously folks has to be one of the best looking small sedans around. Period. The only bummer about this car is that it was an automatic and had no moonroof. It had those killer 17" Sport alloys we all adore and the car looked ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. I must admit that Alpine White is quite the color for that car. I am really getting nervous now about my silver 323i !!! I want the white now! Jeff, help!<p>It is now about 4 am on Haloween morning and I am going to go to this dealership around 8 am and take some photos with my nice camara and post them for you guys the same day or Sunday morning. I really like this car with the gray leather and the sports seats are FANTASTIC LOOKING. My 323i Sport badly needs those 17" alloys from the 328i Sport.<p>Anyone want to trade down their 17" 328i Sport wheels for a 16" 323i Sport wheels? I did not think so! Well, gotta work harder and come up with that extra $$$ for those keller 17" rims for my 323i.<p>Alex B.<p>P.S.: I will put up those pics Saturday or Sunday of the white E46 328i Sport Package.<p>

jeff@thefixx.org
10-31-1998, 10:41 AM
<i>: I was passing by Sterling BMW in Newport Beach last night and right in front, they have a new 99 328i Sport package, Alpine white with gray leather interior. This car seriously folks has to be one of the best looking small sedans around. Period. The only bummer about this car is that it was an automatic and had no moonroof. It had those killer 17" Sport alloys we all adore and the car looked ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. I must admit that Alpine White is quite the color for that car. I am really getting nervous now about my silver 323i !!! I want the white now! Jeff, help!<p><p> Go to the dealer and have them line up a silver<br>car (if they have one in stock) and the white car,<br>and see which one you like the best. I don't know<br>if your car is commited to metal yet, so I don't<br>know if this is a moot issue.<p>jeff<br></i>

Alex B.
10-31-1998, 03:42 PM
This morning, I went to Sterling BMW in Newport Beach and drove the same white 99 328i Sport Package I so cherished last night. Here are my impressions of this car according to my test drive today:<p>1. The automatic transmission is wrong for this car. This car was an auto and I did not care for it at all. This car in auto is no rocket. It is meant to be driven manually, ESPECIALLY in a sport package.<p>2. The aluminum trim is not as good as the 323i gloss trim, not to mention the wood trim. It looked liked it was dirty when I saw it and I told the salesman if it needed cleaning. He said it the car was just detailed. I do not recommend this aluminum for all you future 328i buyers. This texture is bound to get dirty fast or at least it appears that way, even when it is clean.<br>Stick to wood trim. Much nicer.<p>3. Next to this car parked was a 99 323i in steel blue. Now, that's a NICE color. As much as I hate to agree with Patrick on this, it is true. This might be the best color offered on this car along with silver. The white next to it looked kind of ordinary (sorry Jeff, no offense to your beautiful white 323i). So back to the drawing board on colors!!! It is between silver and steel blue, and I will keep my silver order. The only reason I would have gotten white would have been to save $ on options. <p>4. The salesguy at this dealership knew hardly anything about the new E46's. He even did not know that wood was an option on the sports package. How do they get jobs at these dealers? May be the ought to be trained a little better so that the customers do not embarass them when their knowledge is much better than the dealer's.<br>But then again, some customers know TOO much about the car, if you know what I mean !!!<p>5. The performance of the 328i automatic is not any better than that of the 323i manual. For the money, the 323i manual is the better buy and more fun to drive. Period.<p>6. It seemed that the stock radio of the E46, well how shall I say it, SUCKS. I tried blasting it and changing radio stations to see if I could get a good sound out of it. No luck. PLease, get the HK or go aftermarket on this radio. You will be disappointed by the sound.<p>7. The sport seats look and feel great. Really nice looking in gray leather.<p>8. The 3-spoke sportsteering wheel is VERY NICE.<br>I don't know how that little area in center holds an airbag. It is so small !<p>9. The gray leather looks richer than either black or tan in this car. If you can, go gray.<p>10. The moonroof is a must. This one did not have it and it should have.<p>Well, this is my summary of today's drive. Any comments or questions regarding the 99 alpine white, automatic, 328i sport I drove??? What can I say, I am killing time by test driving BMW's until Santa brings me a nice shiny titanium silver present this year for me!<p>Sincerely,<p>Alex B.

jeff@thefixx.org
10-31-1998, 04:32 PM
<i>: <br>: 3. Next to this car parked was a 99 323i in steel blue. Now, that's a NICE color. This might be the best color offered on this car along with silver. The white next to it looked kind of ordinary <br></i><p> Hmm... last night the car was "WOW!" and "Absolutely Gorgeous". Today it's "kind of ordinary". (-:<p><i><br>: (sorry Jeff, no offense to your beautiful white 323i). <br></i><p> Oh - none taken -- I know that I prefer white over the other colors.<p> (-:<p>jeff<br>

Andi
10-31-1998, 05:33 PM
I'm so bored of beige, white, et cetera... The titanium silver is nice but I still think a bright red 328i is the nicest... --Andi<p><br><i>: This morning, I went to Sterling BMW in Newport Beach and drove the same white 99 328i Sport Package I so cherished last night. Here are my impressions of this car according to my test drive today:<p>: 1. The automatic transmission is wrong for this car. This car was an auto and I did not care for it at all. This car in auto is no rocket. It is meant to be driven manually, ESPECIALLY in a sport package.<p>: 2. The aluminum trim is not as good as the 323i gloss trim, not to mention the wood trim. It looked liked it was dirty when I saw it and I told the salesman if it needed cleaning. He said it the car was just detailed. I do not recommend this aluminum for all you future 328i buyers. This texture is bound to get dirty fast or at least it appears that way, even when it is clean.<br>: Stick to wood trim. Much nicer.<p>: 3. Next to this car parked was a 99 323i in steel blue. Now, that's a NICE color. As much as I hate to agree with Patrick on this, it is true. This might be the best color offered on this car along with silver. The white next to it looked kind of ordinary (sorry Jeff, no offense to your beautiful white 323i). So back to the drawing board on colors!!! It is between silver and steel blue, and I will keep my silver order. The only reason I would have gotten white would have been to save $ on options. <p>: 4. The salesguy at this dealership knew hardly anything about the new E46's. He even did not know that wood was an option on the sports package. How do they get jobs at these dealers? May be the ought to be trained a little better so that the customers do not embarass them when their knowledge is much better than the dealer's.<br>: But then again, some customers know TOO much about the car, if you know what I mean !!!<p>: 5. The performance of the 328i automatic is not any better than that of the 323i manual. For the money, the 323i manual is the better buy and more fun to drive. Period.<p>: 6. It seemed that the stock radio of the E46, well how shall I say it, SUCKS. I tried blasting it and changing radio stations to see if I could get a good sound out of it. No luck. PLease, get the HK or go aftermarket on this radio. You will be disappointed by the sound.<p>: 7. The sport seats look and feel great. Really nice looking in gray leather.<p>: 8. The 3-spoke sportsteering wheel is VERY NICE.<br>: I don't know how that little area in center holds an airbag. It is so small !<p>: 9. The gray leather looks richer than either black or tan in this car. If you can, go gray.<p>: 10. The moonroof is a must. This one did not have it and it should have.<p>: Well, this is my summary of today's drive. Any comments or questions regarding the 99 alpine white, automatic, 328i sport I drove??? What can I say, I am killing time by test driving BMW's until Santa brings me a nice shiny titanium silver present this year for me!<p>: Sincerely,<p>: Alex B.<p></i>

BM-deW
10-31-1998, 07:00 PM
How did it drive . handle?<br>How was the suspension to stiff? Just right??<br>Hoa about the seats?? stiff, firm, supportive.<br>What did they have for adjustment??<p>Thanks<p><br><i>: This morning, I went to Sterling BMW in Newport Beach and drove the same white 99 328i Sport Package I so cherished last night. Here are my impressions of this car according to my test drive today:<p>: 1. The automatic transmission is wrong for this car. This car was an auto and I did not care for it at all. This car in auto is no rocket. It is meant to be driven manually, ESPECIALLY in a sport package.<p>: 2. The aluminum trim is not as good as the 323i gloss trim, not to mention the wood trim. It looked liked it was dirty when I saw it and I told the salesman if it needed cleaning. He said it the car was just detailed. I do not recommend this aluminum for all you future 328i buyers. This texture is bound to get dirty fast or at least it appears that way, even when it is clean.<br>: Stick to wood trim. Much nicer.<p>: 3. Next to this car parked was a 99 323i in steel blue. Now, that's a NICE color. As much as I hate to agree with Patrick on this, it is true. This might be the best color offered on this car along with silver. The white next to it looked kind of ordinary (sorry Jeff, no offense to your beautiful white 323i). So back to the drawing board on colors!!! It is between silver and steel blue, and I will keep my silver order. The only reason I would have gotten white would have been to save $ on options. <p>: 4. The salesguy at this dealership knew hardly anything about the new E46's. He even did not know that wood was an option on the sports package. How do they get jobs at these dealers? May be the ought to be trained a little better so that the customers do not embarass them when their knowledge is much better than the dealer's.<br>: But then again, some customers know TOO much about the car, if you know what I mean !!!<p>: 5. The performance of the 328i automatic is not any better than that of the 323i manual. For the money, the 323i manual is the better buy and more fun to drive. Period.<p>: 6. It seemed that the stock radio of the E46, well how shall I say it, SUCKS. I tried blasting it and changing radio stations to see if I could get a good sound out of it. No luck. PLease, get the HK or go aftermarket on this radio. You will be disappointed by the sound.<p>: 7. The sport seats look and feel great. Really nice looking in gray leather.<p>: 8. The 3-spoke sportsteering wheel is VERY NICE.<br>: I don't know how that little area in center holds an airbag. It is so small !<p>: 9. The gray leather looks richer than either black or tan in this car. If you can, go gray.<p>: 10. The moonroof is a must. This one did not have it and it should have.<p>: Well, this is my summary of today's drive. Any comments or questions regarding the 99 alpine white, automatic, 328i sport I drove??? What can I say, I am killing time by test driving BMW's until Santa brings me a nice shiny titanium silver present this year for me!<p>: Sincerely,<p>: Alex B.<p></i>

Steve
10-31-1998, 07:27 PM
Alpine White is the only color used on all BMW race cars. And its the only color used on the M3 LTW. Just my $0.02 :-)<p>Steve '98 318i sedan, Alpine White (of course) and sand leather (2,700 miles)<br>(the last 318i)<p><i>: I was passing by Sterling BMW in Newport Beach last night and right in front, they have a new 99 328i Sport package, Alpine white with gray leather interior. This car seriously folks has to be one of the best looking small sedans around. Period. The only bummer about this car is that it was an automatic and had no moonroof. It had those killer 17" Sport alloys we all adore and the car looked ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. I must admit that Alpine White is quite the color for that car. I am really getting nervous now about my silver 323i !!! I want the white now! Jeff, help!<p>: It is now about 4 am on Haloween morning and I am going to go to this dealership around 8 am and take some photos with my nice camara and post them for you guys the same day or Sunday morning. I really like this car with the gray leather and the sports seats are FANTASTIC LOOKING. My 323i Sport badly needs those 17" alloys from the 328i Sport.<p>: Anyone want to trade down their 17" 328i Sport wheels for a 16" 323i Sport wheels? I did not think so! Well, gotta work harder and come up with that extra $$$ for those keller 17" rims for my 323i.<p>: Alex B.<p>: P.S.: I will put up those pics Saturday or Sunday of the white E46 328i Sport Package.<p></i>

Alex B.
10-31-1998, 07:38 PM
<i>: How did it drive . handle?<p>Better than the stock 328i for sure. Great.<p>: How was the suspension to stiff? Just right??<p>I did not find any problems with the stiffness. I thinkk it was very close to the premium 328i.<p>: Hoa about the seats?? stiff, firm, supportive.<p>Seats were great looking and I felt ther were excellent. The seats however, will not be suitable for people who have a very large and wide torso. The sides restict the size of the drive and anybody over 200 lbs or so may want to opt for the non-sport.<p>: What did they have for adjustment??<p>8 way adjustable, electric, 2 way manual, and NO LUMBAR SUPPORT on the sport. Only premium. You can take that to the bank.<p>: Thanks<p>

Ali
10-31-1998, 07:39 PM
<i>: I'm so bored of beige, white, et cetera... The titanium silver is nice but I still think a bright red 328i is the nicest... --Andi<p>: <br>: : This morning, I went to Sterling BMW in Newport Beach and drove the same white 99 328i Sport Package I so cherished last night. Here are my impressions of this car according to my test drive today:<p>: : 1. The automatic transmission is wrong for this car. This car was an auto and I did not care for it at all. This car in auto is no rocket. It is meant to be driven manually, ESPECIALLY in a sport package.<p>: : 2. The aluminum trim is not as good as the 323i gloss trim, not to mention the wood trim. It looked liked it was dirty when I saw it and I told the salesman if it needed cleaning. He said it the car was just detailed. I do not recommend this aluminum for all you future 328i buyers. This texture is bound to get dirty fast or at least it appears that way, even when it is clean.<br>: : Stick to wood trim. Much nicer.<p>: : 3. Next to this car parked was a 99 323i in steel blue. Now, that's a NICE color. As much as I hate to agree with Patrick on this, it is true. This might be the best color offered on this car along with silver. The white next to it looked kind of ordinary (sorry Jeff, no offense to your beautiful white 323i). So back to the drawing board on colors!!! It is between silver and steel blue, and I will keep my silver order. The only reason I would have gotten white would have been to save $ on options. <p>: : 4. The salesguy at this dealership knew hardly anything about the new E46's. He even did not know that wood was an option on the sports package. How do they get jobs at these dealers? May be the ought to be trained a little better so that the customers do not embarass them when their knowledge is much better than the dealer's.<br>: : But then again, some customers know TOO much about the car, if you know what I mean !!!<p>: : 5. The performance of the 328i automatic is not any better than that of the 323i manual. For the money, the 323i manual is the better buy and more fun to drive. Period.<p>: : 6. It seemed that the stock radio of the E46, well how shall I say it, SUCKS. I tried blasting it and changing radio stations to see if I could get a good sound out of it. No luck. PLease, get the HK or go aftermarket on this radio. You will be disappointed by the sound.<p>: : 7. The sport seats look and feel great. Really nice looking in gray leather.<p>: : 8. The 3-spoke sportsteering wheel is VERY NICE.<br>: : I don't know how that little area in center holds an airbag. It is so small !<p>: : 9. The gray leather looks richer than either black or tan in this car. If you can, go gray.<p>: : 10. The moonroof is a must. This one did not have it and it should have.<p>: : Well, this is my summary of today's drive. Any comments or questions regarding the 99 alpine white, automatic, 328i sport I drove??? What can I say, I am killing time by test driving BMW's until Santa brings me a nice shiny titanium silver present this year for me!<p>: : Sincerely,<p>: : Alex B.<p></i>

Andi
10-31-1998, 08:31 PM
My favorite shade of red is the E46's bright red. Non-metallic and non-maroonish.. just bright pure red... --Andi<p><i>: : I'm so bored of beige, white, et cetera... The titanium silver is nice but I still think a bright red 328i is the nicest... --Andi<p>: : <br>: : : This morning, I went to Sterling BMW in Newport Beach and drove the same white 99 328i Sport Package I so cherished last night. Here are my impressions of this car according to my test drive today:<p>: : : 1. The automatic transmission is wrong for this car. This car was an auto and I did not care for it at all. This car in auto is no rocket. It is meant to be driven manually, ESPECIALLY in a sport package.<p>: : : 2. The aluminum trim is not as good as the 323i gloss trim, not to mention the wood trim. It looked liked it was dirty when I saw it and I told the salesman if it needed cleaning. He said it the car was just detailed. I do not recommend this aluminum for all you future 328i buyers. This texture is bound to get dirty fast or at least it appears that way, even when it is clean.<br>: : : Stick to wood trim. Much nicer.<p>: : : 3. Next to this car parked was a 99 323i in steel blue. Now, that's a NICE color. As much as I hate to agree with Patrick on this, it is true. This might be the best color offered on this car along with silver. The white next to it looked kind of ordinary (sorry Jeff, no offense to your beautiful white 323i). So back to the drawing board on colors!!! It is between silver and steel blue, and I will keep my silver order. The only reason I would have gotten white would have been to save $ on options. <p>: : : 4. The salesguy at this dealership knew hardly anything about the new E46's. He even did not know that wood was an option on the sports package. How do they get jobs at these dealers? May be the ought to be trained a little better so that the customers do not embarass them when their knowledge is much better than the dealer's.<br>: : : But then again, some customers know TOO much about the car, if you know what I mean !!!<p>: : : 5. The performance of the 328i automatic is not any better than that of the 323i manual. For the money, the 323i manual is the better buy and more fun to drive. Period.<p>: : : 6. It seemed that the stock radio of the E46, well how shall I say it, SUCKS. I tried blasting it and changing radio stations to see if I could get a good sound out of it. No luck. PLease, get the HK or go aftermarket on this radio. You will be disappointed by the sound.<p>: : : 7. The sport seats look and feel great. Really nice looking in gray leather.<p>: : : 8. The 3-spoke sportsteering wheel is VERY NICE.<br>: : : I don't know how that little area in center holds an airbag. It is so small !<p>: : : 9. The gray leather looks richer than either black or tan in this car. If you can, go gray.<p>: : : 10. The moonroof is a must. This one did not have it and it should have.<p>: : : Well, this is my summary of today's drive. Any comments or questions regarding the 99 alpine white, automatic, 328i sport I drove??? What can I say, I am killing time by test driving BMW's until Santa brings me a nice shiny titanium silver present this year for me!<p>: : : Sincerely,<p>: : : Alex B.<p></i>

Nelson
10-31-1998, 10:25 PM
Does red paint on a car fade over time from sun exposure? My previous experience with maroonish reds is that the color loses it's deep tone after a couple of years. Of course it depends on the quality of the paint. How's BMW's?<p><i>: My favorite shade of red is the E46's bright red. Non-metallic and non-maroonish.. just bright pure red... --Andi<br></i>

BM-deW
10-31-1998, 11:16 PM
I believe if you order the premium package as well<br>you will still get the 4-way power lumbar. cool.<p><i>: : How did it drive . handle?<p>: Better than the stock 328i for sure. Great.<p>: : How was the suspension to stiff? Just right??<p>: I did not find any problems with the stiffness. I thinkk it was very close to the premium 328i.<p>: : Hoa about the seats?? stiff, firm, supportive.<p>: Seats were great looking and I felt ther were excellent. The seats however, will not be suitable for people who have a very large and wide torso. The sides restict the size of the drive and anybody over 200 lbs or so may want to opt for the non-sport.<p>: : What did they have for adjustment??<p>: 8 way adjustable, electric, 2 way manual, and NO LUMBAR SUPPORT on the sport. Only premium. You can take that to the bank.<p>: : Thanks<p></i>

jeff@theFixx.org
11-01-1998, 01:42 AM
<br>The paint on my '91 318is (bright red) is definatly<br>fading. A really nice wax job (strip the old wax,<br>polish, then wax) brings her back to the deep<br>blinding red -- for about 2 months, then it's back<br>to looking faded.<p>My car doesn't appear to be clear coated (there<br>is certainly no clear coating on it now). I say<br>"doesn't appear" because I don't know if it was<br>originally clearcoated or not -- I do know that <br>the car was buffed out deeply by a previous owner.<br>I can only assume that a clear coating would help<br>with the fade issue.<p>Does anyone know if BMW is currently clear coating<br>their solid colors? <p><i>: Does red paint on a car fade over time from sun exposure? My previous experience with maroonish reds is that the color loses it's deep tone after a couple of years. Of course it depends on the quality of the paint. How's BMW's?<p>: : My favorite shade of red is the E46's bright red. Non-metallic and non-maroonish.. just bright pure red... --Andi<p></i>

jeff@thefixx.org
11-01-1998, 01:44 AM
<br> BMW's current bright red is a bit orange -- and I<br>personallly don't think the E46 looks that good in<br>this slightly orange red. I true "arrest me" red <br>(the kind they used to use on the E30 M3) might<br>look good, but I'm afraid that we may never know.<p><i>: I'm so bored of beige, white, et cetera... The titanium silver is nice but I still think a bright red 328i is the nicest... --Andi<br></i>

Andi
11-01-1998, 01:56 AM
I thought the E46's red was the same as arrest-me-red. Do you have any pics that show what real arrest-me-red is and how it differs from the E46 Bright Red?<p>When I was at the Dealer* last month they had a bright red E46 323i 5sp premium (w/o sport) in the showroom. I examined it for a long time, sat in it, looked at the engine, et cetera. At least in those conditions (indoors but near a big window), I really liked the color. I've seen other cars in slightly darker "colder" reds (like some Mustangs) and I didn't think that looked as good. And I especially think that metallic reds look bad, kind of like sandpaper... <p>*Dealer: The dealer I visited was Classic BMW in Dallas, Texas. My sales consultant was Mr. Craig Pulley. I feel compelled to share my experience there: Mr. Pulley is a very nice guy and I spent a long time talking to him as well as test driving a 328i 5sp. He treated me so well that in the end I feel real guilty for not buying one (hell I can't afford a new 328i yet; I just wanted to drive one to see if I actually wanted one enough to save up for it. I do.) I don't know, maybe all BMW dealers are this nice, but it's certainly a step up from the Nissan dealers I'm used to. --Andi<p><i>: <br>: BMW's current bright red is a bit orange -- and I<br>: personallly don't think the E46 looks that good in<br>: this slightly orange red. I true "arrest me" red <br>: (the kind they used to use on the E30 M3) might<br>: look good, but I'm afraid that we may never know.<p>: : I'm so bored of beige, white, et cetera... The titanium silver is nice but I still think a bright red 328i is the nicest... --Andi<p></i>

Steve
11-01-1998, 09:35 AM
Yes, BMW is now clearcoating all their paints. They use a special BMW patented process they call a powder coat lacquer clear-coat process that supposedly helps resist acid rain and other contaminents. This info was in the little marketing booklet you get with your BMW Financial Services bill. I guess it's supposed to make you feel better about the bill they are sending you:-)<p>Steve<br>'98 318i sedan, Alpine White, Sand Leather<br>(the last 318i)<p><br><i>: <br>: The paint on my '91 318is (bright red) is definatly<br>: fading. A really nice wax job (strip the old wax,<br>: polish, then wax) brings her back to the deep<br>: blinding red -- for about 2 months, then it's back<br>: to looking faded.<p>: My car doesn't appear to be clear coated (there<br>: is certainly no clear coating on it now). I say<br>: "doesn't appear" because I don't know if it was<br>: originally clearcoated or not -- I do know that <br>: the car was buffed out deeply by a previous owner.<br>: I can only assume that a clear coating would help<br>: with the fade issue.<p>: Does anyone know if BMW is currently clear coating<br>: their solid colors? <p>: : Does red paint on a car fade over time from sun exposure? My previous experience with maroonish reds is that the color loses it's deep tone after a couple of years. Of course it depends on the quality of the paint. How's BMW's?<p>: : : My favorite shade of red is the E46's bright red. Non-metallic and non-maroonish.. just bright pure red... --Andi<p></i>

jeff@thefixx.org
11-01-1998, 07:50 PM
<br>Thanks, Steve. Question: is this a new process? Has BMW been using this for many years?<p> thanks,<br> jeff<p><i>: Yes, BMW is now clearcoating all their paints. They use a special BMW patented process they call a powder coat lacquer clear-coat process that supposedly helps resist acid rain and other contaminents. This info was in the little marketing booklet you get with your BMW Financial Services bill. I guess it's supposed to make you feel better about the bill they are sending you:-)<p>: Steve<br>: '98 318i sedan, Alpine White, Sand Leather<br>: (the last 318i)<br></i>

Tony
11-01-1998, 08:23 PM
<i>: I was passing by Sterling BMW in Newport Beach last night and right in front, they have a new 99 328i Sport package, Alpine white with gray leather interior. This car seriously folks has to be one of the best looking small sedans around. Period. The only bummer about this car is that it was an automatic and had no moonroof. It had those killer 17" Sport alloys we all adore and the car looked ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. I must admit that Alpine White is quite the color for that car. I am really getting nervous now about my silver 323i !!! I want the white now! Jeff, help!<p>: It is now about 4 am on Haloween morning and I am going to go to this dealership around 8 am and take some photos with my nice camara and post them for you guys the same day or Sunday morning. I really like this car with the gray leather and the sports seats are FANTASTIC LOOKING. My 323i Sport badly needs those 17" alloys from the 328i Sport.<p>: Anyone want to trade down their 17" 328i Sport wheels for a 16" 323i Sport wheels? I did not think so! Well, gotta work harder and come up with that extra $$$ for those keller 17" rims for my 323i.<p>: Alex B.<p>: P.S.: I will put up those pics Saturday or Sunday of the white E46 328i Sport Package.<p></i>Don't get rid of those 323 sport wheels untill you see them in person! I have had my Alpine white/Sand Leather 323 sport for two days and I love it. Especially the wheels, the picture just don't do them justice.

Tony
11-01-1998, 08:34 PM
<i>: How did it drive . handle?<br>: How was the suspension to stiff? Just right??<br>: Hoa about the seats?? stiff, firm, supportive.<br>: What did they have for adjustment??<p>: Thanks<p>: <br>: : This morning, I went to Sterling BMW in Newport Beach and drove the same white 99 328i Sport Package I so cherished last night. Here are my impressions of this car according to my test drive today:<p>: : 1. The automatic transmission is wrong for this car. This car was an auto and I did not care for it at all. This car in auto is no rocket. It is meant to be driven manually, ESPECIALLY in a sport package.<p>: : 2. The aluminum trim is not as good as the 323i gloss trim, not to mention the wood trim. It looked liked it was dirty when I saw it and I told the salesman if it needed cleaning. He said it the car was just detailed. I do not recommend this aluminum for all you future 328i buyers. This texture is bound to get dirty fast or at least it appears that way, even when it is clean.<br>: : Stick to wood trim. Much nicer.<p>: : 3. Next to this car parked was a 99 323i in steel blue. Now, that's a NICE color. As much as I hate to agree with Patrick on this, it is true. This might be the best color offered on this car along with silver. The white next to it looked kind of ordinary (sorry Jeff, no offense to your beautiful white 323i). So back to the drawing board on colors!!! It is between silver and steel blue, and I will keep my silver order. The only reason I would have gotten white would have been to save $ on options. <p>: : 4. The salesguy at this dealership knew hardly anything about the new E46's. He even did not know that wood was an option on the sports package. How do they get jobs at these dealers? May be the ought to be trained a little better so that the customers do not embarass them when their knowledge is much better than the dealer's.<br>: : But then again, some customers know TOO much about the car, if you know what I mean !!!<p>: : 5. The performance of the 328i automatic is not any better than that of the 323i manual. For the money, the 323i manual is the better buy and more fun to drive. Period.<p>: : 6. It seemed that the stock radio of the E46, well how shall I say it, SUCKS. I tried blasting it and changing radio stations to see if I could get a good sound out of it. No luck. PLease, get the HK or go aftermarket on this radio. You will be disappointed by the sound.<p>: : 7. The sport seats look and feel great. Really nice looking in gray leather.<p>: : 8. The 3-spoke sportsteering wheel is VERY NICE.<br>: : I don't know how that little area in center holds an airbag. It is so small !<p>: : 9. The gray leather looks richer than either black or tan in this car. If you can, go gray.<p>: : 10. The moonroof is a must. This one did not have it and it should have.<p>: : Well, this is my summary of today's drive. Any comments or questions regarding the 99 alpine white, automatic, 328i sport I drove??? What can I say, I am killing time by test driving BMW's until Santa brings me a nice shiny titanium silver present this year for me!<p>: : Sincerely,<p>: : Alex B.<p></i>I spent several hours enjoying my new 323 sport on the winding back country roads of Connecticut today, and I must say the car is very impressive in every way. The smoth power band of the engine combined with the 5 speed give the impression of much more than 170hp. All aspects of the car's cornering and braking make it both easy and a pleasure to drive. I have a Porsche 928 that is obviously much more powerfull than the 323, but the 323 is just as fun to explore the twisting roads of New England.

knowitall
11-01-1998, 08:58 PM
nt

Alex B.
11-01-1998, 11:10 PM
Did I mention pictures Tony?

Alex B.
11-01-1998, 11:37 PM
<i>: nt<p></i>

LL
11-02-1998, 01:00 AM
<i>Yes. I have an Alpine white 323i, and personally think this is the best color for me. I love the contrast between the bright white and the black trim on the 323. Also, I think the sand interior with white is smashing.<br></i>

Steve
11-02-1998, 09:00 AM
BMWs literature says that this "proprietary process" is only used by them (patented). The booklet referenced 1998 and newer cars. I'm not sure if it's used on any older BMWs though.<p>Steve<p><i>: <br>: Thanks, Steve. Question: is this a new process? Has BMW been using this for many years?<p>: thanks,<br>: jeff<p>: : Yes, BMW is now clearcoating all their paints. They use a special BMW patented process they call a powder coat lacquer clear-coat process that supposedly helps resist acid rain and other contaminents. This info was in the little marketing booklet you get with your BMW Financial Services bill. I guess it's supposed to make you feel better about the bill they are sending you:-)<p>: : Steve<br>: : '98 318i sedan, Alpine White, Sand Leather<br>: : (the last 318i)<p></i>

Rich
11-02-1998, 11:19 PM
Whereabouts in CT did you buy your 323i Sport? How much over dealer invoice or under MSRP did you pay?

Brad D
11-04-1998, 06:39 PM
: 3. Next to this car parked was a 99 323i in steel blue. Now, that's a NICE color. As much as I hate to agree with Patrick on this, it is true. This might be the best color offered on this car along with silver. The white next to it looked kind of ordinary (sorry Jeff, no offense to your beautiful white 323i). So back to the drawing board on colors!!! It is between silver and steel blue, and I will keep my silver order. The only reason I would have gotten white would have been to save $ on options. <p>I will be ordering a '99 5er, and I seriously considered ordering my 5er in Steel Blue. That color is really nice on the E46. I ended up parking a Steel Blue 323i right next to an Arctic Silver 528i Sport, in the blazing sun, so that I could decide. I ended up settling on the Titanium Silver, since the Steel Blue is a little dark, and while it looks great on the E46 it's a little risky on an E39. That was a really, really tough decision, though.<p>I think Steel Blue looks even better on the 328i than on the 323i, as the chrome contrasts really well with it.<p>: 10. The moonroof is a must. This one did not have it and it should have.<p>Depends on how tall you are. I'm 6'1", and I would definately go without the moonroof for the extra headroom.<p>Brad D

Willy
11-06-1998, 12:02 PM
I drive a 97' 328i, Bright RED, biege leather, and I think its the sharpest color for a 3 series. The red is so deep and shiny, stands out much more than other reds that I've seen. BMW also has other reds that aren't as shiny and bright. My car is almost 2 years old and its as bright as it was brand new. Very sharp car I must say. There are many pictures of bright red 328s around. Check out the sight I've linked for a nice bright red 328is, it looks amazing, just like mine...!!! :)

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index