Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Chia
10-31-1998, 12:01 PM
I was driving in the rain in a city area last night in my E36, and I suddenly realized how bad the headlights are. The difference between having them on and off is not that much! I was really surprised. I only get decent illumination with the high beams on... I never really gave much thought to headlights until now. Before, driving an E320, the illumination was great! But the E36's headlights pale in comparison. Given that, is there anything I can do to improve the illumination that my 3 series puts out? I've heard of aftermarket Xenon replacements (no, NOT the blue ion bulbs) but has anyone had this done yet? What about overwattage bulbs? What about Euro ellipsoid assemblies? Are they any improvement?

Ming
10-31-1998, 03:07 PM
US headlamp can't handle the increased current of the overwattage<p>Euro ellipsoid is the way to go if your state allow E code headlamp (We need to do it illegally.. right?)<p>However, I still think BMW's stock lamp is WAY better than Chrystler's<p>

Jim Bassett
11-03-1998, 02:51 PM
<i>: I was driving in the rain in a city area last night in my E36, and I suddenly realized how bad the headlights are. The difference between having them on and off is not that much! I was really surprised. I only get decent illumination with the high beams on... I never really gave much thought to headlights until now. Before, driving an E320, the illumination was great! But the E36's headlights pale in comparison. Given that, is there anything I can do to improve the illumination that my 3 series puts out? I've heard of aftermarket Xenon replacements (no, NOT the blue ion bulbs) but has anyone had this done yet? What about overwattage bulbs? What about Euro ellipsoid assemblies? Are they any improvement?<p></i><p>I was also amazed at the poor quality of the lights, even in an urban environment where there's a lot of ambient street light. I put the Euro ellipsoids on my 96 328is, and will be getting a set for the new M3.<p>Also, you can upgrade the high beam bulbs in the Euro lights to 100W (need to change to a 10A fuse as well).<p>Cheers,<br>Jim

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index