Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

b-man
09-16-1999, 09:15 PM
n/t

Alan
09-16-1999, 09:45 PM
<a href="http://www.seniorsix.org/">http://www.seniorsix.org/</a><p><br>--Alan

Gregg
09-16-1999, 09:56 PM
<br><i>: n/t<p></i>This describes the Coupe version ONLY (the 2800CS and 3.0CS, CSi and CSL) which are the original "classic" 6 culinder coupes that --along with the 2002, staarted the "modern era" of BMW in terms of extraordinary style and driving experience continued on to the present. 2800s roughly ran from 70-71, while 3.0s (three point oh's as they're commonly referred to, or just plain CS or even "coupe," as in, "Oh, you've got a Coupe?") ran in the US from 72-74, with the last year having the big then-federally mandated bumpers like the 2002 also had to. The "Large" (6 cyl CS) coupes were very elegant (as opposed to their 4 cylinder immediate forebearers which were the same from the "A" pillar back, but--IMO--a bit ugly in front)...with a "rake" which always made it look like it was back on it's haunches a little, ready to pounce..Sorta the opposite of the later trend toward low in the front, raked higher in the back...similar "performance" effect through 180 degree different visual means. The front's valence and kidney/grille area of the car also launched the current/modern era loo, though back then it had what came to be the traditional/ classic BMW canted back (from top to bottom) look versus todays more aerodynamic but increasingly blunt-looking front end. Unlike the "lesser" 2002, the bigger coupes had quad round headlights. One of the real tell-tale and classy elements of teh the 6 cylinder CS design was the graceful, amost delicately narrow rear "C" pillars--somewhat copied in the oiginal Acura Legend coupe--, with a built-in recessed traditional roundel/propeller emblem built in near the base of the pillar...near the soon to be considered classic BMW "kick back" in the metal at the base of the pillar...The emblem may sound like overkill in today's era of less embellishment the better, but in this application really unique and classy. Looks-wise these cars left very little to be desired, and operationally they were mostly gems too (watch out for cracked heads, fixed easily by later "big" six (6 and 7 series, later 5s, etc., units)...Other "negatives" of this era CS were the Karmann-built bodies which were pretty rust prone...including areas which you usually don't notice until too late...so beware eastern coupes which have seen regular 3-4 season duty and outside parking. And a somewhat goofy (from a practical point of view) design aspect (resulting admittedly in an otherwise very attracive/very glassy look with a low sill) which precluded the front side windows from rolling completely all the way down...sticking up an inch or so, making the 'arm rested on the open-window sill' casual sitting next to impossible...so you gotta just get used to that aspect. Also, the steering wheel (like those going into the 90s for that matter) was fixed in position, in this case with no rake or telescoping adjustment., which resulted in a somewhat (comparatively speaking) "bus like" driving arm position. Again, get used to it 'cause there ain't no (cheap) fix. interiors wre pretty classy, esp on the leather models (most US models) and many came with sunroofs (both manual crank and power). The rear seat was a nifty two-"genuine" bucket affair. <br>In short (?), these are some of the classiest looking BMWs ever built--the one which not only started and ever since epitomized the <br>classic BMW coupe." The public version of the CSL (lightweight--hood, etc., limited production models built in a promulgation run to emulate many of the features of what came to be a very successful and long-lived racing CSL series (versions of which had "batmobile" rear wings). The 6 Series coupes (75/76 on) eventually took over the big coupe crown, but many believe never had the "panache and elegant style" of the 2800/3.0 CS series. BTW, about the only difference between 2800 and 3.0s other than the suggested displacement increase in the latter, was 4 wheel disc brakes vs the former's front-only set-up and I believe premium gas required also on the 2800s vs regular on 3.0s. More than you asked, but...

b-man
09-16-1999, 11:26 PM
I have to agree with you that those are the most classic looking BMWs ever made. I"ve seen a few of them running on the streets before. Your explanation was long but it did help me to understand a little better about the BMW history and how far it has come to reach the point today. Without E3 there probably wouldn't be the E46 that I currently own today.....

Pete
09-16-1999, 11:32 PM
<i>: n/t<p></i>

marilyn@bmwcsregistry.org
09-17-1999, 06:55 AM
He isn't talking about the E3 when he describes the "Coupe", he's explaining an E9. The E3 is a sedan, a matronly 4 door saloon that was the pinnacle of luxury in the 1970's.<p>To see The Coupe, (the E9) in all it's elegance, go visit www.bmwcsregistry.org<p>To see The Bavaria, (the E3) in all of its respective glory, go to www.seniorsix.org<p>Ciao,<p>Marilyn W. <br>B<W CS Registry, Registrar

Gregg
09-17-1999, 10:12 PM
<br><i>: He isn't talking about the E3 when he describes the "Coupe", he's explaining an E9. The E3 is a sedan, a matronly 4 door saloon that was the pinnacle of luxury in the 1970's.<p>: To see The Coupe, (the E9) in all it's elegance, go visit www.bmwcsregistry.org<p>: To see The Bavaria, (the E3) in all of its respective glory, go to www.seniorsix.org<p>: Ciao,<p>: Marilyn W. <br>: B<W CS Registry, Registrar<p></i>You are correct..partly trying to get webmaster to finaly set up an E9 chart too! E9 was (largely) based on E3 parts/mechanicals. Iapologize if what I posted was misleading.

Marilyn
09-21-1999, 05:43 PM
Well, we are already established with an "E9 link" you can go to our website at http://www.bmwcsregistry.org and follow the majordomo link to sign up for our email list. There are over 220 (E9) coupe enthusiasts out there, on a daily basis.<p>Aus Fruede Am Fahren<br>Marilyn

Roger B
10-06-1999, 12:10 PM
<i>:You said: "...the steering wheel (like those going into the 90s for that matter) was fixed in position, in this case with no rake or telescoping adjustment...". My '74 Euro CSA has a telescoping steering wheel column. <br>: : n/t<p>: This describes the Coupe version ONLY (the 2800CS and 3.0CS, CSi and CSL) which are the original "classic" 6 culinder coupes that --along with the 2002, staarted the "modern era" of BMW in terms of extraordinary style and driving experience continued on to the present. 2800s roughly ran from 70-71, while 3.0s (three point oh's as they're commonly referred to, or just plain CS or even "coupe," as in, "Oh, you've got a Coupe?") ran in the US from 72-74, with the last year having the big then-federally mandated bumpers like the 2002 also had to. The "Large" (6 cyl CS) coupes were very elegant (as opposed to their 4 cylinder immediate forebearers which were the same from the "A" pillar back, but--IMO--a bit ugly in front)...with a "rake" which always made it look like it was back on it's haunches a little, ready to pounce..Sorta the opposite of the later trend toward low in the front, raked higher in the back...similar "performance" effect through 180 degree different visual means. The front's valence and kidney/grille area of the car also launched the current/modern era loo, though back then it had what came to be the traditional/ classic BMW canted back (from top to bottom) look versus todays more aerodynamic but increasingly blunt-looking front end. Unlike the "lesser" 2002, the bigger coupes had quad round headlights. One of the real tell-tale and classy elements of teh the 6 cylinder CS design was the graceful, amost delicately narrow rear "C" pillars--somewhat copied in the oiginal Acura Legend coupe--, with a built-in recessed traditional roundel/propeller emblem built in near the base of the pillar...near the soon to be considered classic BMW "kick back" in the metal at the base of the pillar...The emblem may sound like overkill in today's era of less embellishment the better, but in this application really unique and classy. Looks-wise these cars left very little to be desired, and operationally they were mostly gems too (watch out for cracked heads, fixed easily by later "big" six (6 and 7 series, later 5s, etc., units)...Other "negatives" of this era CS were the Karmann-built bodies which were pretty rust prone...including areas which you usually don't notice until too late...so beware eastern coupes which have seen regular 3-4 season duty and outside parking. And a somewhat goofy (from a practical point of view) design aspect (resulting admittedly in an otherwise very attracive/very glassy look with a low sill) which precluded the front side windows from rolling completely all the way down...sticking up an inch or so, making the 'arm rested on the open-window sill' casual sitting next to impossible...so you gotta just get used to that aspect. Also, the steering wheel (like those going into the 90s for that matter) was fixed in position, in this case with no rake or telescoping adjustment., which resulted in a somewhat (comparatively speaking) "bus like" driving arm position. Again, get used to it 'cause there ain't no (cheap) fix. interiors wre pretty classy, esp on the leather models (most US models) and many came with sunroofs (both manual crank and power). The rear seat was a nifty two-"genuine" bucket affair. <br>: In short (?), these are some of the classiest looking BMWs ever built--the one which not only started and ever since epitomized the <br>: classic BMW coupe." The public version of the CSL (lightweight--hood, etc., limited production models built in a promulgation run to emulate many of the features of what came to be a very successful and long-lived racing CSL series (versions of which had "batmobile" rear wings). The 6 Series coupes (75/76 on) eventually took over the big coupe crown, but many believe never had the "panache and elegant style" of the 2800/3.0 CS series. BTW, about the only difference between 2800 and 3.0s other than the suggested displacement increase in the latter, was 4 wheel disc brakes vs the former's front-only set-up and I believe premium gas required also on the 2800s vs regular on 3.0s. More than you asked, but...<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index