Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Steve
01-21-2000, 02:39 AM
Just a quick question. What mileage do all of you fellow Bav owners get?

Alan Trimble
01-21-2000, 02:53 AM
<i>: Just a quick question. What mileage do all of you fellow Bav owners get?<p></i><br>Not too good. About 14-16 highway, 12-14 city. It doesn't help that the engine is turning 3000 RPM at cruise speed. These things would really benefit from a 5 speed.

Erk
01-23-2000, 06:31 PM
<i>: : Just a quick question. What mileage do all of you fellow Bav owners get?<p>: <br>: Not too good. About 14-16 highway, 12-14 city. It doesn't help that the engine is turning 3000 RPM at cruise speed. These things would really benefit from a 5 speed.<p></i><p>I got about the same. Here are some things to consider for higher mileage. Lower ratio rear differential - I just put on a 3.45 LSD, and the mileage has gone up a little, due to lower RPM's at cruising speed. There are also 3.25's and 3.12's to be had, but I think that that would also affect your takeoff. Five speeds are also another good way to affect mileage. For those with an injected e3, I would also suggest converting to the 528i injection system, because of the lambda control (o2 sensor) governed system, which keeps your fuel mix optimal, as opposed to the factory preset rich l-jet of the 3.0Si/530i. I did this swap, and the mileage has gone up on average about 4mpg, along with better driveability. If you remove the system from a running 528i (e12) the swap should take about a weekend. <p>For those of you with $$ to burn, I would also recommend the SDS programmable injection system, which I have been lusting after. The system allows for the driver to preset the fuel curve either for economy running, or for rich, speed racer running. <p>If you have carbs, good luck! Don't know enough about them to offer advice. <p>-Erk

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index