Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Kevin Costello
07-24-2000, 07:09 PM
Okay guys, just had a brilliant thought. I travel for a living in the Southeast US, about 20-25,000 miles a year. I've been driving a '95 M-B E300D, which is great on mileage and is safe. Having recently purchased a '73 2002 Baur Targa, I once again have the BMW bug. I now see myself driving around my territory in a early '70's Bavaria instead of the Benz. To further entice myself, I dream of getting out from under the $500 payments I make on the Benz every month and think "I could buy a vintage Bavaria, and probably end up spending less every month, even considering the upkeep". Am I having an LSD flashback, or does this sound reasonable? Are these cars dependable enough for what I'm asking them to do? I realize there's alot of maintainence involved (the 2002 experience), but I really only see myself in a slick 70's vintage BMW. Any comments? Kevin

Ian
07-24-2000, 08:57 PM
<i><br>Okay guys, just had a brilliant thought. I travel for a living in the Southeast US, about 20-25,000 miles a year. I've been driving a '95 M-B E300D, which is great on mileage and is safe. Having recently purchased a '73 2002 Baur Targa, I once again have the BMW bug. I now see myself driving around my territory in a early '70's Bavaria instead of the Benz. To further entice myself, I dream of getting out from under the $500 payments I make on the Benz every month and think "I could buy a vintage Bavaria, and probably end up spending less every month, even considering the upkeep". Am I having an LSD flashback, or does this sound reasonable? Are these cars dependable enough for what I'm asking them to do? I realize there's alot of maintainence involved (the 2002 experience), but I really only see myself in a slick 70's vintage BMW. Any comments? Kevin<p></i><br>

Colin
08-04-2000, 09:50 AM
<i><p><br></i>1. No Bavaria is going to be as reliable as a modern car.<p>2. No Bavaria will have a/c that actually cools the car on a 90-degree day.<p>3. The lack of a/c is academic, because the car will be overheating on 90-degree days, anyway.<p>4. When (not if) the Bavaria breaks down in some remote area, nobody will have ever heard of one, let alone be able to get parts for it or fix it.<p>Bavarias are wonderful cars, but not for everyday long-distance use. The exception might be a car that has had a modern BMW drivetrain swapped in with Motronic engine management, modern R134a a/c, etc. Otherwise, buy yourself a nice used late 535i with a 5-speed. The '88 and older versions look similar to the Bavaria, but are reliable, fast, and have all the modern conveniences. A nice one costs no more than a nice Bavaria. Just my opinion.<br>Colin<br>

chrystobal
08-04-2000, 11:13 AM
vty/ck<p>-ex 533i<br>-ex 535is<br>'74 tii

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index