Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

GEETEELEE
12-13-1998, 10:24 AM
Some people like the 2002 as a collector's item. Some like to work and restore them. My motivitation is I like to drive. Having owned both cars in the past I want to buy something inexpensive and fun to drive. I can buy a 325 or a 2002 in good shape for about the same price. There is no question the 3 is a better car, but I wouldn't be relying on it for daily transportation. Each has its endearing driving characteristics and would probably cost about the same to maintain. I dunno anyone got any thoughts?

WillO
12-13-1998, 11:39 AM
<i>: Some people like the 2002 as a collector's item. Some like to work and restore them. My motivitation is I like to drive. Having owned both cars in the past I want to buy something inexpensive and fun to drive. I can buy a 325 or a 2002 in good shape for about the same price. There is no question the 3 is a better car, but I wouldn't be relying on it for daily transportation. Each has its endearing driving characteristics and would probably cost about the same to maintain. I dunno anyone got any thoughts?<p></i>The 2002 is the car that made BMW a success in the USA. No other 4 cylinder could run with it! It blew the doors off everybody else. When I see one it turns my head. I enjoy the Taco Bell comercial with the 2 young dudes and their 2002, I want one.<br> On the other hand, the '88 325 ix, stick, sunroof, factory Recarros advertised in the paper for $5500 obo got my attention too. I have one of these; they do not have the rust bucket rep associated with the 2002.<br> <br>In 71 Red 2002 smoked me, <br>Will<br>88 325ix<br>91 525i

D
12-13-1998, 11:40 AM
<i>: Some people like the 2002 as a collector's item. Some like to work and restore them. My motivitation is I like to drive. Having owned both cars in the past I want to buy something inexpensive and fun to drive. I can buy a 325 or a 2002 in good shape for about the same price. There is no question the 3 is a better car, but I wouldn't be relying on it for daily transportation. Each has its endearing driving characteristics and would probably cost about the same to maintain. I dunno anyone got any thoughts?<p></i><br>What can you buy a nice 325 for, say at least<br>$5000, up to $9,000 (guess). You are getting a<br>"run of the mill" BMW - admittedly nice, well built, etc etc etc. But on the flip side, that much cash will get you a REALLY nice 2002, especially on the higher end of that scale. That's solid, modified tii territory. Which is more fun? It's totally subjective, but I think a '02 has that little something extra....and if you take care of it, it will _at least_ hold it's value over the years.<p>My '02 is a beater, and it is still relatively trouble free. Put on the road in April after being a perennial project for some people year after year, and it has only _needed_ to go to the shop once. Everything else I could have done, had I the patience and a Haynes manual. Only<br>stranded me once, that was a freak event, and is not a common flaw.<p>My $.02 on '02's :)

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index