Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Javier
12-14-1998, 11:13 AM
My '84 318i comes stock with chrome window trimings.<p>In 1987 the 325s offer black trims.<p>Question. Is it worthwhile to paint them at $60 or buy new ones at the dealer for $207???<p>Has anyone painted their trimings black?<p>javier

Ari D Kayserian
12-14-1998, 01:00 PM
I painted mine and they look great. Paint them flat black and make sure you sand them down first and then primed. This is what i did :<br>1)sand them down<br>2)prime usind black primer<br>3)painted flat black<br>4) let dry for a few days JUST DONT TOUCH<br>Hope this helps<br><i>: My '84 318i comes stock with chrome window trimings.<p>: In 1987 the 325s offer black trims.<p>: Question. Is it worthwhile to paint them at $60 or buy new ones at the dealer for $207???<p>: Has anyone painted their trimings black?<p>: javier<p></i>

LSD
12-14-1998, 01:01 PM
Uh, are you talking about the window gaskets that are around the front and read windows? You'll have trouble painting them since they're under clear plastic. That's why they rust easily. I suggest you have them replaced the next time you need the window locks replaced.<p><br>

Javier
12-14-1998, 02:40 PM
Thank you very much.<p>I have always wondered, are they really "chrome plated plastic" or just plain chrome trims. <p>How long has it been since you did this? I have seen real chrome painted on other cars (not BMWs) and the chipping is quite pronounce!<p>Thanks again,<br>javier

ari
12-14-1998, 09:43 PM
the ones around the side windows are polished aluminum and the front - rear window trims are plastic. it doesn't really chip away as if it were real chrome. I did this about two years ago. still no chips looks great. <i>: Thank you very much.<p>: I have always wondered, are they really "chrome plated plastic" or just plain chrome trims. <p>: How long has it been since you did this? I have seen real chrome painted on other cars (not BMWs) and the chipping is quite pronounce!<p>: Thanks again,<br>: javier<p></i>

MIchael
01-05-1999, 02:56 AM
<i>: Uh, are you talking about the window gaskets that are around the front and read windows? You'll have trouble painting them since they're under clear plastic. That's why they rust easily. I suggest you have them replaced the next time you need the window locks replaced.<p><br></i><br>Hey, i blacklined mined with Trim Brite black out tape, they sell it at Pep Boys for about 2.99 a roll, 2 rolls should be sufficint. mine looks like new, but a heat gun might be needed to make the bends in the trim, be patient, use a good razor for the edging, ....good luck!<p>1987 325 is

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index