Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Chris Konn
12-17-1998, 02:00 PM
I've got an 1986 325es. I would like to put about a 1.3-1.5" drop on it. Do I need to change the rear shocks and/or the<br>front struts when I drop it? Also, what is required to drop it "the right way"(camber kit, alignment kit, etc.)? It's a<br>great car and, I've heard from others, that adding new sway bars, lowering springs, and a chip really does thee28/e30 a lot of good!! <br>Yes, all you e-bashers I know it's not an "i" or an "M", but with 143,000 miles on it, no(absolutely none)problems with the engine, and an absoultely impecable int./ext., that this car has potential. <p>What springs should I get? <p>"Let me hear what you've got to say." <p>-Chris <br>86 325es <br>95 M3

Andrew
12-27-1998, 07:41 PM
<i>: I've got an 1986 325es. I would like to put about a 1.3-1.5" drop on it. Do I need to change the rear shocks and/or the<br>: front struts when I drop it? Also, what is required to drop it "the right way"(camber kit, alignment kit, etc.)? It's a<br>: great car and, I've heard from others, that adding new sway bars, lowering springs, and a chip really does thee28/e30 a lot of good!! <br>: Yes, all you e-bashers I know it's not an "i" or an "M", but with 143,000 miles on it, no(absolutely none)problems with the engine, and an absoultely impecable int./ext., that this car has potential. <p>: What springs should I get? <p>: "Let me hear what you've got to say." <p>: -Chris <br>: 86 325es <br>: 95 M3 <p>Dropping your car will make it look the part, it is the first thing that I recomend that you do. A recommended drop for 17 inch wheels is 35mm, I went for 60mm, about 2.35 inches. looks awesome. you have some brands to choose from such as Intarx, Apex, Jamex, Bilstein, Bmp. Go with the Apex suspension systems. Cost about the same as Intrax. Intrax is crapp not TUV approved and have some major sag prblems they are for looks not performance. BMP is not low eneough and they are really too expensive. Jamex is also Crapp have had problems with differnst sized springs in the same box, like a 1/4 inch different. Apex is TUV and they are 30% stiffer than is/es springs. Shock will were out in about 6-8 months and you will have to watchout for scraping and your oil pan. Camber is not a problem. Your e is a good car trust me they last a long time.<br>If you want to see a 60mm drop my car is at<br>www.w3media.net/uamsa click on the exec and then the roundel.<br>Andrew<br>for more info you can mail me.<br></i>

Steve
01-03-1999, 12:50 AM
<i>: : I've got an 1986 325es. I would like to put about a 1.3-1.5" drop on it. Do I need to change the rear shocks and/or the<br>: : front struts when I drop it? Also, what is required to drop it "the right way"(camber kit, alignment kit, etc.)? It's a<br>: : great car and, I've heard from others, that adding new sway bars, lowering springs, and a chip really does thee28/e30 a lot of good!! <br>: : Yes, all you e-bashers I know it's not an "i" or an "M", but with 143,000 miles on it, no(absolutely none)problems with the engine, and an absoultely impecable int./ext., that this car has potential. <p>: : What springs should I get? <p>: : "Let me hear what you've got to say." <p>: : -Chris <br>: : 86 325es <br>: : 95 M3 <p>: Dropping your car will make it look the part, it is the first thing that I recomend that you do. A recommended drop for 17 inch wheels is 35mm, I went for 60mm, about 2.35 inches. looks awesome. you have some brands to choose from such as Intarx, Apex, Jamex, Bilstein, Bmp. Go with the Apex suspension systems. Cost about the same as Intrax. Intrax is crapp not TUV approved and have some major sag prblems they are for looks not performance. BMP is not low eneough and they are really too expensive. Jamex is also Crapp have had problems with differnst sized springs in the same box, like a 1/4 inch different. Apex is TUV and they are 30% stiffer than is/es springs. Shock will were out in about 6-8 months and you will have to watchout for scraping and your oil pan. Camber is not a problem. Your e is a good car trust me they last a long time.<br>: If you want to see a 60mm drop my car is at<br>: www.w3media.net/uamsa click on the exec and then the roundel.<br>: Andrew<br>: for more info you can mail me.<p>Different length springs in a set doesn't necessarily mean the springs are junk. Spring manufacturers will often purposely make them that way to compensate for the extra weight of the driver as he will often be driving alone. Regarding the original post, sounds like you want to lower your car for all the benefits that it'll bring but you don't want to go too far right? That's a good idea because unless you race it, the ride especially over rough roads will be very harsh. You can't go wrong with H&R springs or even Eibachs, with Bilstein HD shocks all around. That'll improve the handling considerably but not adversely affect the ride. It's a good idea to get new shocks with your springs because they're probably worn out anyway and they're designed to work with stock springs. Good luck.<br>

James
01-27-1999, 08:18 PM
I have a lovely '90 325is that I lowered with the Racing Dynamics (now RDSport) springs and Bilstein sport springs. The wheels (15x7 TSW Stealths with 205/55 rubber) fit well with a 0.5 inch clearance (that's right... it's a perfect fit all around). The Bilsteins are fine for good roads... Atlanta, Georgia is no problem, but away at school in Houston, Texas the ride is very tough. I've noticced no other problems since I did this (35,000 miles ago). I've also gotten new swaybars, which isn't noticeable except on the track.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index