Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Dustin
12-17-1998, 06:48 PM
Ok right now I have a 1986 325E with a JIM.C chip and a K&N airfilter (element) I am thinking of replacing the K&N filter with a K&N Cone air filter from BMP that replaces the Whole airbox and I was wondering what the pros&cons of this setup are and if it's worth the $92.95 !?!

Bradley Ray
12-24-1998, 10:09 PM
I have a 318is and I have had both the filter element and the cone filter....however....I adapted a piece from an older 325 to make the air meter accept the cone filter. You would have to describe the end of you air meter to me. But anyway, the cone filter makes a much more pronounced sound under hard acceleration which means that the engine is now taking in more oxygen that without a chip the computer WILL recognize but WILL NOT utilize resulting in a minimal gain without the extra fuel and timing provided by the chip. To go even further you would need a header and free flow exhaust. More air in creates a need to get more air out resulting in more power....I hope this has been helpful and not degrading of you already knew the other info...

Bradley
12-24-1998, 10:14 PM
By the way I got a K&N cone at my local AUTO ZONE for $40. All you have to do is measure the opening across the air meter, again assuming that the end will accept the filter, its a rubber sleeve that fits over a short pipe and held by a worm clamp kind of deal. Write me if you want more info on the piece that adapts the cone.<p>

Steve
12-25-1998, 04:04 PM
<i>: Ok right now I have a 1986 325E with a JIM.C chip and a K&N airfilter (element) I am thinking of replacing the K&N filter with a K&N Cone air filter from BMP that replaces the Whole airbox and I was wondering what the pros&cons of this setup are and if it's worth the $92.95 !?!<p>I've discussed cone filters with someone very knowledgeable on the subject, and he told me that setup cost them 9HP on the dyno on an E30 M3. I've seen some well-designed ones for other makes of cars that don't suck in hot engine air and really work, but the BMW ones I've seen look pretty much the same. I would personally pass on the BMP cone filter setup regardless of what the salesman tries to tell you.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index