Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Dustin
01-06-1999, 11:40 PM
Well right now I have a 1986 BMW 325E with a few modifications and I love it so much that I have decided to buy another BMW I only have around $12,500 to spend and I am very seriously thinking about trying to get a 1989 BMW M3. I absolutley love the way the cars look and I love the fact that it has a 4-cyl because I dislike big motors for way to many reasons to mention here. Basicly I just want to know what you guys think of the E30-M3s are they worth the price ? Are they fun to drive? And most of all would you buy one ? Thanks ! Dustin

Jerry B
01-07-1999, 01:46 AM
Hey,<br>I also own an E an 87 though. Love it too and also am looking for a late model M3.<br>My advice would be to get one if you can but watch out.<br>A few things to look out for:<br>new paint, could mean a wreck<br>grab the motor and shove, if it moves then forget it ( engine mounts )<br>also look at milage, under 100K is good<br>Price: no more than 11,500 for an 89!<br>As for the way they perform, where does the line end?<br>Really these cars don't have the rep they do for nothing. I've test driver a few and boy they kick ***.<br>Nough said, if you can get one, do it.<br>J<p><br><i>: Well right now I have a 1986 BMW 325E with a few modifications and I love it so much that I have decided to buy another BMW I only have around $12,500 to spend and I am very seriously thinking about trying to get a 1989 BMW M3. I absolutley love the way the cars look and I love the fact that it has a 4-cyl because I dislike big motors for way to many reasons to mention here. Basicly I just want to know what you guys think of the E30-M3s are they worth the price ? Are they fun to drive? And most of all would you buy one ? Thanks ! Dustin<p></i>

Jerry B
01-07-1999, 01:47 AM
Hey,<br>I also own an E an 87 though. Love it too and also am looking for a late model M3.<br>My advice would be to get one if you can but watch out.<br>A few things to look out for:<br>new paint, could mean a wreck<br>grab the motor and shove, if it moves then forget it ( engine mounts )<br>also look at milage, under 100K is good<br>Price: no more than 11,500 for an 89!<br>As for the way they perform, where does the line end?<br>Really these cars don't have the rep they do for nothing. I've test driven a few and boy they kick ***.<br>Nough said, if you can get one, do it.<br>J<p><br><i>: Well right now I have a 1986 BMW 325E with a few modifications and I love it so much that I have decided to buy another BMW I only have around $12,500 to spend and I am very seriously thinking about trying to get a 1989 BMW M3. I absolutley love the way the cars look and I love the fact that it has a 4-cyl because I dislike big motors for way to many reasons to mention here. Basicly I just want to know what you guys think of the E30-M3s are they worth the price ? Are they fun to drive? And most of all would you buy one ? Thanks ! Dustin<p></i>

Steve
01-07-1999, 09:38 PM
<i>: Well right now I have a 1986 BMW 325E with a few modifications and I love it so much that I have decided to buy another BMW I only have around $12,500 to spend and I am very seriously thinking about trying to get a 1989 BMW M3. I absolutley love the way the cars look and I love the fact that it has a 4-cyl because I dislike big motors for way to many reasons to mention here. Basicly I just want to know what you guys think of the E30-M3s are they worth the price ? Are they fun to drive? And most of all would you buy one ? Thanks ! Dustin<p>I say go for it! I have an '88 M3 with 100K miles and it's such a blast to drive. For 12,500 bucks you should be able to get a very nice '88 or '89 M3 and it's definitely worth the price. One note, mine is a daily driver and it's reasonably reliable, but expect to spend more on maintenance/repairs than say a Honda. I do all the work myself and don't worry, it's an easy car to work on. The motor is pretty much bulletproof, of course if properly maintained, so if you get one with close to 100K miles I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Mine has been through autocrosses, driving schools, hard street miles, etc. and it only consumes about 1/2 quart/3K miles and runs very strong. Just use a good synthetic and change the oil every 3-5K miles and +150K miles aren't out of the question.<br>

Ino
01-15-1999, 04:00 PM
There was an excellent article in European Car from the owners standpoint.<p>These car are not daily drivers. The are meant to be raced and a too rough for daily commute.<p>The E30 M3 offers a twin cam engine. You can find a more tame version in the 318is and you can begin to appreciate how poorly engineered those cars are.<p>The oil is very important on an M3. If it bleeds below 1 quart there will be significance engine problems. These car require a strict regiment of car.<p>I would opt for a 325is if you are looking for more speed.

Steve
01-17-1999, 12:32 AM
<i>: There was an excellent article in European Car from the owners standpoint.<p>: These car are not daily drivers. The are meant to be raced and a too rough for daily commute.<p>: The E30 M3 offers a twin cam engine. You can find a more tame version in the 318is and you can begin to appreciate how poorly engineered those cars are.<p>: The oil is very important on an M3. If it bleeds below 1 quart there will be significance engine problems. These car require a strict regiment of car.<p>: I would opt for a 325is if you are looking for more speed.<p>I would have to disagree with you Ino. While the E30 M3s were built as a homologation special for FIA Group A racing, they were intended to be everyday cars. Mine has a little over 100K miles and is a daily driver running very strong. Common replacement/service parts are fairly reasonably-priced and it doesn't require as much maintenance as people think. Valve adjustments are rarely needed and it's a pretty simple car to work on. Sure there are intake gasket concerns and some others, but everybody knows that BMWs aren't the most reliable, trouble-free cars anyway. There is a small price to pay for the enjoyment of driving that I would guess all BMW drivers go through. Having said that, mine has been quite reliable in the 4+ years that I've owned it.

Dan (UK)
01-21-1999, 04:56 AM
<i>: : There was an excellent article in European Car from the owners standpoint.<p>: : These car are not daily drivers. The are meant to be raced and a too rough for daily commute.<p>: : The E30 M3 offers a twin cam engine. You can find a more tame version in the 318is and you can begin to appreciate how poorly engineered those cars are.<p>: : The oil is very important on an M3. If it bleeds below 1 quart there will be significance engine problems. These car require a strict regiment of car.<p>: : I would opt for a 325is if you are looking for more speed.<p>: I would have to disagree with you Ino. While the E30 M3s were built as a homologation special for FIA Group A racing, they were intended to be everyday cars. Mine has a little over 100K miles and is a daily driver running very strong. Common replacement/service parts are fairly reasonably-priced and it doesn't require as much maintenance as people think. Valve adjustments are rarely needed and it's a pretty simple car to work on. Sure there are intake gasket concerns and some others, but everybody knows that BMWs aren't the most reliable, trouble-free cars anyway. There is a small price to pay for the enjoyment of driving that I would guess all BMW drivers go through. Having said that, mine has been quite reliable in the 4+ years that I've owned it.<p></i><p>I would have to agree with Steve on this point. I to use my Evo2 E30 as a daily driver and as you know these models put out an extra 20 bhp. As long as you check the oil weekly and fix problems straight away these cars are bullet proof and bloody good fun to drive and own. So Ino go drive one son!

phil chretien
01-27-1999, 05:04 PM
<i>: : : There was an excellent article in European Car from the owners standpoint.<p>: : : These car are not daily drivers. The are meant to be raced and a too rough for daily commute.<p>: : : The E30 M3 offers a twin cam engine. You can find a more tame version in the 318is and you can begin to appreciate how poorly engineered those cars are.<p>: : : The oil is very important on an M3. If it bleeds below 1 quart there will be significance engine problems. These car require a strict regiment of car.<p>: : : I would opt for a 325is if you are looking for more speed.<p>: : I would have to disagree with you Ino. While the E30 M3s were built as a homologation special for FIA Group A racing, they were intended to be everyday cars. Mine has a little over 100K miles and is a daily driver running very strong. Common replacement/service parts are fairly reasonably-priced and it doesn't require as much maintenance as people think. Valve adjustments are rarely needed and it's a pretty simple car to work on. Sure there are intake gasket concerns and some others, but everybody knows that BMWs aren't the most reliable, trouble-free cars anyway. There is a small price to pay for the enjoyment of driving that I would guess all BMW drivers go through. Having said that, mine has been quite reliable in the 4+ years that I've owned it.<p><br>: I would have to agree with Steve on this point. I to use my Evo2 E30 as a daily driver and as you know these models put out an extra 20 bhp. As long as you check the oil weekly and fix problems straight away these cars are bullet proof and bloody good fun to drive and own. So Ino go drive one son!<p><br></i>

p.c.
01-27-1999, 05:22 PM
<i>: : : : There was an excellent article in European Car from the owners standpoint.<p>: : : : These car are not daily drivers. The are meant to be raced and a too rough for daily commute.<p>: : : : The E30 M3 offers a twin cam engine. You can find a more tame version in the 318is and you can begin to appreciate how poorly engineered those cars are.<p>: : : : The oil is very important on an M3. If it bleeds below 1 quart there will be significance engine problems. These car require a strict regiment of car.<p>: : : : I would opt for a 325is if you are looking for more speed.<p>: : : I would have to disagree with you Ino. While the E30 M3s were built as a homologation special for FIA Group A racing, they were intended to be everyday cars. Mine has a little over 100K miles and is a daily driver running very strong. Common replacement/service parts are fairly reasonably-priced and it doesn't require as much maintenance as people think. Valve adjustments are rarely needed and it's a pretty simple car to work on. Sure there are intake gasket concerns and some others, but everybody knows that BMWs aren't the most reliable, trouble-free cars anyway. There is a small price to pay for the enjoyment of driving that I would guess all BMW drivers go through. Having said that, mine has been quite reliable in the 4+ years that I've owned it.<p>: <br>: : I would have to agree with Steve on this point. I to use my Evo2 E30 as a daily driver and as you know these models put out an extra 20 bhp. As long as you check the oil weekly and fix problems straight away these cars are bullet proof and bloody good fun to drive and own. So Ino go drive one son!<p><p>i have the option of buying an 88 m3 in near perfect condition with 65K on the clock. they are asking $16,000 for it. does this seem overpriced? i really like the car,but the owner is absolutly firm on the price. i know these cars are scarce,but is the pricetag out of whack?>

M3Laszlo
01-27-1999, 06:13 PM
<i>: I'm on my 2nd e30 M3 right now and am planning on creatively adapting a toro leaf blower<br>to the intake and I must say they are soo fast and Goddamned reliable it's not funny. Both of them have over 100k miles and I redlined them in every gear but 5th( not for long). As for price, My M3 was 6 yrs old when Igot it for $11,500; compare that to a 4 yr old E36 M3 which can't be found for less than $23k and an E46 M3 is on the way! <br>I get from point A to point B faster than a vette cause it's a smaller car to toss around and the torque, and the horsepower, and the torque and the ... well you get it;~)<br></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index