Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

JOhn
01-07-1999, 02:39 PM
Can any body help me? I just bought a 89 325i and need to replace front and rear rotors. I have taken delivery of teh parts and hoped that somebody could walk me through the process of removing the old ones and installing the new ones. I got new pads and brake sensors too.<p>any help much appreciated.<p>thanks,<p>John<p>89 BMW 325i<br>91 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

kjk
01-08-1999, 10:27 AM
<i>: Can any body help me? I just bought a 89 325i and need to replace front and rear rotors. I have taken delivery of teh parts and hoped that somebody could walk me through the process of removing the old ones and installing the new ones. I got new pads and brake sensors too.<p>: any help much appreciated.<p>: thanks,<p>: John<p>: 89 BMW 325i<br>: 91 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce<p></i> It is a pretty simple job. You remove the tire, brake caliper (two bolts), set screw (little allen head screw in middle of rotor) and pull it off. The brake sensor is mounted at the top of one of the pads and a wire goes to it through the back of the pad. You will usually need a small screw driver or awl to punch it out from the inside. Put the new one on, tighten the set screw, install the new pads (spread them to fit around the new brake) and bolt the caliper back on. Even a Haynes manual gives you a step by step. Potential problems? Last time I did mine a shop had tightened the caliper bolts with a nuematic wrench and I could not break them free. I almost pulled the car off the jack stands trying. Also, the first time I did it, there was rust on the back of the rotor and I it took me for ever to pop it off. You may want to buy new allen head set screws at the dealer before you start-they are real easy to strip. By the way, I don't know where you bought the rotors this time but I would recommend the dealer in the future (join BMWCCA and you get 15% off). I bought some through a catalog and they warped in 15,000 miles. They were about $60 a piece for the fronts at the dealer and seems to grab better than the previous ones. Also, I understand BMW balances their rotors before they sell them. Either way it is alot cheaper to just replace the rotors than have a shop do a brake job-good luck!! If you browse the web, go to the FAQ pages re E30, if I recall their is a detailed step by step on one of those pages.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index