Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

john santiago
01-23-1999, 11:02 AM
ANY HELP CONCERNING THE FOLLOWING PROBLEM WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.<br>Year: 85<p>Model: 318i<p>Production Date: 12/84<p>Trans Type: Automatic Transmission<p>Problem: clunking sound and vibration from the rear whenever i am coming to<br>a stop<br>axel u joints and carrier bearing appear ok.i recently replaced the diff<br>and problem still exist.when replacing the<br>diff i noticed that i wasn't able to push the axel shaft away from the<br>flange on the diff because there was no play<br>is this normal? thank you for your anticipated help!!. <p>

Callan
01-23-1999, 01:39 PM
OK here goes nothing... Check the rear subframe bushings that are mounted at either side of the rear carrier that goes from one side of the car to the other.[It's the subframe that the trailing arms bolt into. The bushings are located in the outer edges of the carrier by the rocker panel area and have a large bolt going thru the center of them. There should be a small gap between the bottom bracket of the assembly and the bottom edge of the bushings. If not it's probably sagged /broken thru with age and needs to be repl in pairs only on high mileage/older cars. The CV joint you asked about should have some flexibility like you thought but sometimes they get alittle stiff with age and are still quiet/good. Hope this helps; don't rule out a sloppy center support bearing for the driveshaft if you have both a vibration & noise that feels like it's under the back seat on accel/decel.

BOB
01-23-1999, 05:17 PM
<i>: ANY HELP CONCERNING THE FOLLOWING PROBLEM WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.<br>: Year: 85<p>: Model: 318i<p>: Production Date: 12/84<p>: Trans Type: Automatic Transmission<p>: Problem: clunking sound and vibration from the rear whenever i am coming to<br>: a stop<br>: axel u joints and carrier bearing appear ok.i recently replaced the diff<br>: and problem still exist.when replacing the<br>: diff i noticed that i wasn't able to push the axel shaft away from the<br>: flange on the diff because there was no play<br>: is this normal? thank you for your anticipated help!!. <p></i>HAD THE SAME REPLACE BUSH AT TOP OF REAR SHOCK

Brian
01-25-1999, 10:22 PM
<i>: ANY HELP CONCERNING THE FOLLOWING PROBLEM WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.<br>: Year: 85<p>: Model: 318i<p>: Production Date: 12/84<p>: Trans Type: Automatic Transmission<p><br>Had the same problem... went to Merlins muffler and they replaced the bushing at the top. I changed both rears for under $120.<br>: Problem: clunking sound and vibration from the rear whenever i am coming to<br>: a stop<br>: axel u joints and carrier bearing appear ok.i recently replaced the diff<br>: and problem still exist.when replacing the<br>: diff i noticed that i wasn't able to push the axel shaft away from the<br>: flange on the diff because there was no play<br>: is this normal? thank you for your anticipated help!!. <p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index