Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Brian
01-25-1999, 10:14 PM
I have a 1992 318is that appears to have some type of electrical problem. The electrical power fluctuates and when I had a shop check the computer it did show spikes in the voltage, some over 14 volts. So we put in a new voltage regulator and that addressed the problem for a few months - now the fluctuating power is back. Any ideas on how to resolve? Replace alternator? Or is it a motherboard problem?

Callan
01-26-1999, 12:37 AM
Is this car an E-30 or an E-36. I've had super problems with the Valeo altns. on E-36 cars. They stop working correctly and you never get the altn. warning light to come on. There are cheap voltage regulators and there are better ones. If all your cable connections are clean and tight and the battery is ok then check the altn voltage output again to see if the replaced regu. has gone bad again. The Bosch altns. have been pretty trouble free on all the E-30 cars . If this is an E-36 you may or may not get by with another regu. for your Valeo. Check the commutator and brush area carefully. Hope this helps.

Callan
01-26-1999, 11:25 PM
Your car should be a E-36. If you have rotating dial A/C-Heater controls then that confirms it as well as the clear covers over the headlights. The 80amp Valeo Altns. that I wrote about are only a problem on the 318s. Usually however all they need is a new voltage regulator to put them back into the pink..

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index