Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Kurt
02-04-1999, 03:32 PM
I just bought my '86 325ES and I'm not sure where to start with a repeatable running problem. I can start to car up , it runs great for however long you drive it (2 or up to 40 miles so far) but when you stop, turn off the engine, then restart it... it won't.<p>I've also done this on a couple of short trip, so it's not vapor lock (besides it's cold around here). It has a full tank of gas (I thought water in the gas).<p>When you try to restart, it won't try unless you hold in the accelerator, then it will run at 2500rpm roughly for a couple of miles, then it seems to clear it's throat and be it's usual, powerfull self.<p>Plugs are clean. In fact I did replace them to know when it was last done, and this changed nothing.<p>One other note, if you don't press in the gas pedal while restarting it, it seems to get gas for a second then dies, kind've like your using starting fluid but have no gas.<p>I'm not sure where to start...<p>Thanks<br>Kurt

WillO
02-04-1999, 09:55 PM
<i>: I just bought my '86 325ES and I'm not sure where to start with a repeatable running problem. I can start to car up , it runs great for however long you drive it (2 or up to 40 miles so far) but when you stop, turn off the engine, then restart it... it won't.<p>: I've also done this on a couple of short trip, so it's not vapor lock (besides it's cold around here). It has a full tank of gas (I thought water in the gas).<p>: When you try to restart, it won't try unless you hold in the accelerator, then it will run at 2500rpm roughly for a couple of miles, then it seems to clear it's throat and be it's usual, powerfull self.<p>: Plugs are clean. In fact I did replace them to know when it was last done, and this changed nothing.<p>: One other note, if you don't press in the gas pedal while restarting it, it seems to get gas for a second then dies, kind've like your using starting fluid but have no gas.<p>: I'm not sure where to start...<p>: Thanks<br>: Kurt<p></i>Try some Techron injector cleaner, if this does not help then you might inspect your cap an rotor for dirt or carbon. You might get the Bentley manual and study the things that seem to fit your trouble condition. A friend may help you when they see what a cool car you have and that you have a manual that explains it.<p>Will<br>88 325ix

Marcus
02-05-1999, 04:38 AM
<i>: : I just bought my '86 325ES and I'm not sure where to start with a repeatable running problem. I can start to car up , it runs great for however long you drive it (2 or up to 40 miles so far) but when you stop, turn off the engine, then restart it... it won't.<p>: : I've also done this on a couple of short trip, so it's not vapor lock (besides it's cold around here). It has a full tank of gas (I thought water in the gas).<p>: : When you try to restart, it won't try unless you hold in the accelerator, then it will run at 2500rpm roughly for a couple of miles, then it seems to clear it's throat and be it's usual, powerfull self.<p>: : Plugs are clean. In fact I did replace them to know when it was last done, and this changed nothing.<p>: : One other note, if you don't press in the gas pedal while restarting it, it seems to get gas for a second then dies, kind've like your using starting fluid but have no gas.<p>: : I'm not sure where to start...<p>: : Thanks<p>: Will<br>: 88 325ix<p></i><p>My Pontiac Le Mans (it's called Opel Kadett in Europe) had the same problem. It has the same fuel system as the 325i. Turned out to be at least one faulty injector. It leaked fuel into the cylinder, making varms starts difficult, wouldn't start at all if the accelerator wasn't pressed.<p>Got used injectors at a scrapyard, no problems since then.<p>Marcus<br>'87 325iC

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index