Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Mike
01-27-2000, 11:06 AM
I need to know of any problems I should look out for when test driving this 1991 318is. It has 141 000kms on it and seems to drive fine. Any problems with anything having to do with the car? Send it my way because this is my FRIST CAR and I'd like it to be a good one that lasts.<p>Thanks

chaz
01-27-2000, 12:58 PM
that car from what i hear has tons of problems w/ the profile gasket.. and sometime the head in general.. a 325is is only $500-$1000 more and easily twice the car

sean
01-27-2000, 02:21 PM
You might want to check your math, Chaz ;-)<p>The 318is (M42 motor) has problems with the Timing Cover Profile Gasket (the gasket on the 'front' of the engine block which seals the timing chain cover to the cylinder block and head); antifreeze will eventually eat away at the 'old' style gasket, causing it to fail at around 60 - 80,000 miles. If the gasket has been replaced by a 'new' style gasket (different material, and I don't know how to tell), it's good for life. With the milage (kilometerage?) of the car in question, it's probably been replaced. A good write-up at: http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/all/engine/all_m42_profile_gasket_faq.html.<p>Other general E30 BMW (including 325is) problem areas: control arms, sway bar mounting points, umm...things I can't think of...check out http://www.bmwe30.net/home.html - an excellent E30 site, with lots of info and a more active message board.<p>I've got a 318is of the same vintage, with 120,000 miles (bought with 116,000). It's a great car - it handles very well, it's light on it's feet. It is not as fast as a 325is (which has a larger 6cyl motor), but it has the same suspension and brakes (and weighs less). It is *not* half the car that a 325is is, just a bit slower. Think of it as BMW's GTI.<p>Take the car to a mechanic with E30 BMW experience for a pre-purchase inspection - it's worth the $50-$100 in peace of mind alone.<p>(The 325is is, by all accounts, a fine motor, too)

Greg S.
01-27-2000, 02:46 PM
With 141K, I wouldn't worry about the profile gasket. Problems with that usually arise between 60 and 90K; chances are that it's already been replaced. The 91 318is is an awesome car (and the 325 is NOT twice as good--the M42 motor in the 318 powers it quite nicely). Get it looked at before you buy it, and if it looks good, go for it--you won't be dissappointed.<p>Greg S.<br>91 318is<br>74 Opel Manta (for sale, BTW)

Dave S.
01-27-2000, 03:58 PM
<i>: You might want to check your math, Chaz ;-)<p>: The 318is (M42 motor) has problems with the Timing Cover Profile Gasket (the gasket on the 'front' of the engine block which seals the timing chain cover to the cylinder block and head); antifreeze will eventually eat away at the 'old' style gasket, causing it to fail at around 60 - 80,000 miles. If the gasket has been replaced by a 'new' style gasket (different material, and I don't know how to tell), it's good for life. With the milage (kilometerage?) of the car in question, it's probably been replaced. A good write-up at: http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/all/engine/all_m42_profile_gasket_faq.html.<p>: Other general E30 BMW (including 325is) problem areas: control arms, sway bar mounting points, umm...things I can't think of...check out http://www.bmwe30.net/home.html - an excellent E30 site, with lots of info and a more active message board.<p>: I've got a 318is of the same vintage, with 120,000 miles (bought with 116,000). It's a great car - it handles very well, it's light on it's feet. It is not as fast as a 325is (which has a larger 6cyl motor), but it has the same suspension and brakes (and weighs less). It is *not* half the car that a 325is is, just a bit slower. Think of it as BMW's GTI.<p>: Take the car to a mechanic with E30 BMW experience for a pre-purchase inspection - it's worth the $50-$100 in peace of mind alone.<p>: (The 325is is, by all accounts, a fine motor, too)<p></i>Ditto on the above mentioned problem areas. AC is a little weak here in 90 degree/90% humidity S. Fl. Nice car but you do give up 30 hp to a 325i. Actually handles a little better due to less weight up front.

Dirk
01-27-2000, 05:11 PM
There is the profile gasket issue that will haunt you. Also you will probably end up craving power sooner or later.<p>Do yourself a favor and just buy a 325i from the get go. The resale value along will wash the extra acquisition cost.<p>D

Dirk
01-27-2000, 05:17 PM
The profile gasket issue has been known to re-surface even if replaced.<p>That fact that most E30s are in the price range justifies buying a 325i. It may not be twice the car in horsepower but you know what? It's not exactly twice the price either.<p>Do yourself a favor. Do the E30 experience right the first time. Start with a car that already has evolved with the right engineering to handle todays demands. Forget the 4 banger, forget the e cars. Get an i. Mileage is decent.<p>D

Lee
01-27-2000, 09:41 PM
The 318is is a very fine car. It is lighter than a 325 and has less power, but the balance is better. It is a nimbler car. Less power, more agility.<p>It does have a problem with the infamous profile gasket. By checking the VIN, you should know if it has been updated by BMWor not. It still has 140 HP versus 170, but this is well enough to have fun.

Neal
01-28-2000, 12:05 PM
<i>: I need to know of any problems I should look out for when test driving this 1991 318is. It has 141 000kms on it and seems to drive fine. Any problems with anything having to do with the car? Send it my way because this is my FRIST CAR and I'd like it to be a good one that lasts.<p>: Thanks<p></i>318i is remodeled ford pinto. Stop trying to fool this poor guy. Get the 325i make it a convertible while you're at it. :-)

allen
01-28-2000, 01:23 PM
<i>: : I need to know of any problems I should look out for when test driving this 1991 318is. It has 141 000kms on it and seems to drive fine. Any problems with anything having to do with the car? Send it my way because this is my FRIST CAR and I'd like it to be a good one that lasts.<p>: : Thanks<p>: 318i is remodeled ford pinto. Stop trying to fool this poor guy. Get the 325i make it a convertible while you're at it. :-)<p>Well Neal Bob I would love for you to see my "Pinto". <p>My advice to 318iS shoppers: <p>Vin check to see if profile gasket has been done<br>Call Downing Atlanta and get their supercharger <br>Get a good job to pay for tires<p>Allen<p>91 318iS Forcefully Inducted<br>99 Discovery<br>97 Saab Talledega Turbo Conv. #383

Neal
01-28-2000, 11:18 PM
<i>: : : I need to know of any problems I should look out for when test driving this 1991 318is. It has 141 000kms on it and seems to drive fine. Any problems with anything having to do with the car? Send it my way because this is my FRIST CAR and I'd like it to be a good one that lasts.<p>: : : Thanks<p>: : 318i is remodeled ford pinto. Stop trying to fool this poor guy. Get the 325i make it a convertible while you're at it. :-)<p>: Well Neal Bob I would love for you to see my "Pinto". <p>: My advice to 318iS shoppers: <p>: Vin check to see if profile gasket has been done<br>: Call Downing Atlanta and get their supercharger <br>: Get a good job to pay for tires<p>: Allen<p>: 91 318iS Forcefully Inducted<br>: 99 Discovery<br>: 97 Saab Talledega Turbo Conv. #383<p></i>wtf is bob? I wrote the message sfb. I've said it before and I'll say it until it sinks in...kids on skateboards can outrun ANY 318i...forcefully or unforcefully inducted or abducted. Now if you'll take a moment to pull your head out of your *** to smell the exhaust of a 325i as it whips past your "forcefully inducted" wheezer on wheels, perhaps your brain fart will clear and allow you to see your folly. Happy trails sparky.... NEAL (no bob in sight)

Neal
01-28-2000, 11:23 PM
<i>: : : I need to know of any problems I should look out for when test driving this 1991 318is. It has 141 000kms on it and seems to drive fine. Any problems with anything having to do with the car? Send it my way because this is my FRIST CAR and I'd like it to be a good one that lasts.<p>: : : Thanks<p>: : 318i is remodeled ford pinto. Stop trying to fool this poor guy. Get the 325i make it a convertible while you're at it. :-)<p>: Well Neal Bob I would love for you to see my "Pinto". <p>: My advice to 318iS shoppers: <p>: Vin check to see if profile gasket has been done<br>: Call Downing Atlanta and get their supercharger <br>: Get a good job to pay for tires<p>: Allen<p>: 91 318iS Forcefully Inducted<br>: 99 Discovery<br>: 97 Saab Talledega Turbo Conv. #383<p></i>

Neal
01-28-2000, 11:30 PM
<i>: I need to know of any problems I should look out for when test driving this 1991 318is. It has 141 000kms on it and seems to drive fine. Any problems with anything having to do with the car? Send it my way because this is my FRIST CAR and I'd like it to be a good one that lasts.<p>: Thanks<p></i> car...be my guest. But I would suggest you go for the gusto and get the "real" thing. Get a 325i. They don't cost much more, but you'll never regret not getting the "girlie mobile". <p>Ok all you 318 owners...don't get your panties in a knot....k? <p>Neal<br>proud 325ic owner

allen
01-29-2000, 09:36 AM
<i>With a name like Neal I guess you Bob too. Put your money where your mouth is Neal boy, that is if you have any. Is that little 325i the only vehicle that you own. I bet you still live at home...I think I hear your mommy. <p>Neal, Bob & Swallow<br></i>

Neal
01-29-2000, 12:26 PM
<i>: With a name like Neal I guess you Bob too. Put your money where your mouth is Neal boy, that is if you have any. Is that little 325i the only vehicle that you own. I bet you still live at home...I think I hear your mommy. <p>: Neal, Bob & Swallow<p></i>Well Allen "girl", since you are so curious, I'll oblige your dumb *** with another response.<br>I have 525i, a 325ic, a Mazda millenia, and an Isuzu truck. I have my own house...it goes for 410k....could you afford that? <stiffled laugh>. Now...if you can hear my mommy..perhaps YOU are living with her. Another thing I find mildly amsuing about you, is that you are obviously thinking of homosexual acts...wonder why that is?<br>Allen <head pat>...you're out of your league with me ya snivelling purse swinging nancy boy. I think you should stick to your fantasies of your 318i breaking the 20 sec 0 to 60mph record and listening to old mel tillis songs in Redneckville Tennesee. Hey, I'm sure your 318i is great for a farm vehicle <wink><p>Neal bobbing and weaving<br>floating like a butterfly stinging like a bee

Neal
01-29-2000, 12:29 PM
<i>: With a name like Neal I guess you Bob too. Put your money where your mouth is Neal boy, that is if you have any. Is that little 325i the only vehicle that you own. I bet you still live at home...I think I hear your mommy. <p>: Neal, Bob & Swallow<p></i>Well Allen "girl", since you are so curious, I'll oblige your dumb *** with another response.<br>I have 525i, a 325ic, a Mazda millenia, and an Isuzu truck. I have my own house...it goes for 410k....could you afford that? (stiffled laugh). Now...if you can hear my mommy..perhaps YOU are living with her. Another thing I find mildly amsuing about you, is that you are obviously thinking of homosexual acts...wonder why that is?<br>Allen (head pat)...you're out of your league with me ya snivelling purse swinging nancy boy. I think you should stick to your fantasies of your 318i breaking the 20 sec 0 to 60mph record and listening to old mel tillis songs in Redneckville Tennesee. Hey, I'm sure your 318i is great for a farm vehicle (wink)<p>Neal bobbing and weaving<br>floating like a butterfly stinging like a bee

Barry
01-29-2000, 08:00 PM
<i>: I need to know of any problems I should look out for when test driving this 1991 318is. It has 141 000kms on it and seems to drive fine. Any problems with anything having to do with the car? Send it my way because this is my FRIST CAR and I'd like it to be a good one that lasts.<p>: Thanks<p></i>My opinion...I'd never own a 318i (any year),except maybe a Ti (for mods). I'm glad they discontinued the 318, but that's just me =]. Anyway, drive the car, if it suit's your needs go ahead and buy it. Not every BMW enthusiast wants to go fast. Sure you can pick up a supercharger for it but then why didn't u just buy the 325i w/more torque/HP in the first place?

adrian
01-30-2000, 01:33 AM
I own a 1991 318is with a lot of k's for 10 mos.and i wanna get rid of it.the reason? i want, need,more hp. good luck.by the way. how much ?

Allen
01-30-2000, 08:37 AM
Well Neal, it sounds like heaven in HI. I would love to see your little abode, maybe next time I travel through I will be sure to look you up. BTW, I have a little 635K house a street over that rents out for $2300 a month. 410k in HI <br>doesn't buy a shack. <p>talk to you later Neal...flying to Atlanta for the Super Bowl...look for me...<p>xoxoxo, Your best pal Al

Neal
01-30-2000, 12:33 PM
<i>: Well Neal, it sounds like heaven in HI. I would love to see your little abode, maybe next time I travel through I will be sure to look you up. BTW, I have a little 635K house a street over that rents out for $2300 a month. 410k in HI <br>: doesn't buy a shack. <p>: talk to you later Neal...flying to Atlanta for the Super Bowl...look for me...<p>: xoxoxo, Your best pal Al<p></i>Uh huh...suuuuuuure you do. Look brah, you drive a 318i, the lowest car on the BMW totem pole, tell me another whopper....LOL. Anyway, if you do get over this way, by all means look me up,I promise not to make fun of your car (wink)<br>Oh and I can show ya my 6 bedroom "shack" ha ha.<p>Have fun at the S-bowl...I'll be looking for ya. BTW which team will you be handing out the towels for? Or wait....you have VIP seating right? Bahahahahahhahahaha.<p>Aloha

RacerX
01-30-2000, 01:30 PM
<i>:My 318is will eat your 325ic any day of the week... Your 325ic is a slow, heavy, lumbering, body flexing pig. My 318is is lighter, has a 4.10 LSD, better body stiffness and better suspension from the factory. IMHO a 325 convertible is the GIRLIE car. My car runs 90 mph and gets 30MPG at the same time. TRY that in your pig of a convertible.

RacerX
01-30-2000, 01:33 PM
If you really had any $$$ you would be driving an E36 M3 convertible instead of some broken down old E30 325ic POS. Besides, 410K, idiot that buys a condo in HI, not a house you moron.

Neal
01-30-2000, 10:24 PM
<i>: :My 318is will eat your 325ic any day of the week... Your 325ic is a slow, heavy, lumbering, body flexing pig. My 318is is lighter, has a 4.10 LSD, better body stiffness and better suspension from the factory. IMHO a 325 convertible is the GIRLIE car. My car runs 90 mph and gets 30MPG at the same time. TRY that in your pig of a convertible.<p></i>Do I sense the whine of a offended "***** car" owner? bahahahahahaha....dream on chump. (snicker)

Neal
01-30-2000, 10:31 PM
<i>: If you really had any $$$ you would be driving an E36 M3 convertible instead of some broken down old E30 325ic POS. Besides, 410K, idiot that buys a condo in HI, not a house you moron.<p></i>This commentary coming from another disgruntled 318 owner. How is anyone supposed to take you seriously dude? You're dismissed, take your baby Bimmer and go impress the renault Le-car owners. (smirk)

Neal
01-30-2000, 10:37 PM
<p></i>.....but it was a killer game just the same. Halftime show sucked <shrug>. How was it in person? I figured you'd be holding some sort of sign for me to recognize ya...like: 318's rule!!<p><br>

RacerX
02-01-2000, 09:39 PM
<i>: Hmmm, personal insults, not willing to address or discuss the technical issues... <p>TYPICAL OF SOMEONE WITH AN INFERIORITY COMPLEX<p>That 325ic wouldn't last 2 laps on a track against a 318is.

RACERX
02-01-2000, 09:40 PM
Bite it fool, at least I can afford a Z3 for MY convertible. And YES it is a 4 cyl Z3 and it will eat that 325ic ****box alive on a track too.

Neal
02-02-2000, 12:21 AM
<i>: : Hmmm, personal insults, not willing to address or discuss the technical issues... <p>: TYPICAL OF SOMEONE WITH AN INFERIORITY COMPLEX<p>: That 325ic wouldn't last 2 laps on a track against a 318is.<p></i>Ok Corky....hey wipe your chin..k?

Neal
02-02-2000, 12:24 AM
<i>: Bite it fool, at least I can afford a Z3 for MY convertible. And YES it is a 4 cyl Z3 and it will eat that 325ic ****box alive on a track too.<p><br></i>Only a woman or a limp wrist would buy a Z3.<br>Which one are you?

adrian
02-07-2000, 05:39 PM
how much is that supercharger?where ?

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index