Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Chris
01-30-2000, 10:50 PM
Just put an e30 M3 gauge cluster in my 87 325e. The tachometer is not accurate. There is no way in hell that I'm revving that high... 6200 (This is an "e" motor....!!). When it is at idle, it reads around 1300, which I figure to be around 500 off, from the "e" cluster...<p>Any way of re-calibrating it OR what else is there to do? Just leave it...????<p>Thx, Chris

jose
01-30-2000, 11:00 PM
<i>: Just put an e30 M3 gauge cluster in my 87 325e. The tachometer is not accurate. There is no way in hell that I'm revving that high... 6200 (This is an "e" motor....!!). When it is at idle, it reads around 1300, which I figure to be around 500 off, from the "e" cluster...<p>: Any way of re-calibrating it OR what else is there to do? Just leave it...????<p><br>there a "coding plug" in the back of the old gauge cluster did you swap it out with the M3 cluster?<p>: Thx, Chris<p></i>

Chris
01-30-2000, 11:20 PM
<i>: : Just put an e30 M3 gauge cluster in my 87 325e. The tachometer is not accurate. There is no way in hell that I'm revving that high... 6200 (This is an "e" motor....!!). When it is at idle, it reads around 1300, which I figure to be around 500 off, from the "e" cluster...<p>: : Any way of re-calibrating it OR what else is there to do? Just leave it...????<p>: <br>: there a "coding plug" in the back of the old gauge cluster did you swap it out with the M3 cluster?<p>: : Thx, Chris<p></i>Yes, I did swap out a green plug, that has needle like pins that push up into the back of the cluster. Possibly put the single wire into the wrong pin on the green plug...? Or are they shaped so they don't go into the wrong inputs...??<p>Thx, Chris

Barry
01-30-2000, 11:37 PM
<i>: : : Just put an e30 M3 gauge cluster in my 87 325e. The tachometer is not accurate. There is no way in hell that I'm revving that high... 6200 (This is an "e" motor....!!). When it is at idle, it reads around 1300, which I figure to be around 500 off, from the "e" cluster...<p>: : : Any way of re-calibrating it OR what else is there to do? Just leave it...????<p>: : <br>: : there a "coding plug" in the back of the old gauge cluster did you swap it out with the M3 cluster?<p>: : : Thx, Chris<p>: Yes, I did swap out a green plug, that has needle like pins that push up into the back of the cluster. Possibly put the single wire into the wrong pin on the green plug...? Or are they shaped so they don't go into the wrong inputs...??<p>: Thx, Chris<p></i>LoL, that's NOT the coding plug. The coding plug is in FRONT of the cluster, marked BMW with numbers on the bottom. It's a chip actually.

Chris
01-30-2000, 11:50 PM
<i>: : : : Just put an e30 M3 gauge cluster in my 87 325e. The tachometer is not accurate. There is no way in hell that I'm revving that high... 6200 (This is an "e" motor....!!). When it is at idle, it reads around 1300, which I figure to be around 500 off, from the "e" cluster...<p>: : : : Any way of re-calibrating it OR what else is there to do? Just leave it...????<p>: : : <br>: : : there a "coding plug" in the back of the old gauge cluster did you swap it out with the M3 cluster?<p>: : : : Thx, Chris<p>: : Yes, I did swap out a green plug, that has needle like pins that push up into the back of the cluster. Possibly put the single wire into the wrong pin on the green plug...? Or are they shaped so they don't go into the wrong inputs...??<p>: : Thx, Chris<p>: LoL, that's NOT the coding plug. The coding plug is in FRONT of the cluster, marked BMW with numbers on the bottom. It's a chip actually. <p>That's the inch long white one on the bottom of the cluster (front). Same one you need to pull out when taking the SI Board out....??<p>Thanks Barry, You're the best. Plethera of Good Ole' BMW e30 knowledge!!<p>Thx, <br>Chris<br></i>

Barry
01-31-2000, 01:30 AM
<i>: : : : : Just put an e30 M3 gauge cluster in my 87 325e. The tachometer is not accurate. There is no way in hell that I'm revving that high... 6200 (This is an "e" motor....!!). When it is at idle, it reads around 1300, which I figure to be around 500 off, from the "e" cluster...<p>: : : : : Any way of re-calibrating it OR what else is there to do? Just leave it...????<p>: : : : <br>: : : : there a "coding plug" in the back of the old gauge cluster did you swap it out with the M3 cluster?<p>: : : : : Thx, Chris<p>: : : Yes, I did swap out a green plug, that has needle like pins that push up into the back of the cluster. Possibly put the single wire into the wrong pin on the green plug...? Or are they shaped so they don't go into the wrong inputs...??<p>: : : Thx, Chris<p>: : LoL, that's NOT the coding plug. The coding plug is in FRONT of the cluster, marked BMW with numbers on the bottom. It's a chip actually. <p>: That's the inch long white one on the bottom of the cluster (front). Same one you need to pull out when taking the SI Board out....??<p>: Thanks Barry, You're the best. Plethera of Good Ole' BMW e30 knowledge!!<p>: Thx, <br>: Chris<p></i>Yes, that's the engine code chip on all E30's 86-92. 84-85 E30's used a black engine code plug, that is inserted into the tach in the back of the cluster. They tell the instruments what engine you have. The M3 cluster still thought it was running a 4 cylinder, S14 engine and interpreted the signals wrong, that's why the tach was off by so much.

Lee
01-31-2000, 08:52 AM
Your Eta is a 6 cylinder engine, the M3 only had 4. I think that your engine sends 150% times more pulses per rottation that the RPM unit has been calibrated for. If your idle was 800 RPM and it reads 1200, you have your answer. Can it be recalibrated with a plug or a chip, I do not know. Can you transplant the old RPM module from the ETA board?

Gator
02-01-2000, 05:48 AM
Anyone happen to know what numbers on the coding plug and chip (both back and front of the cluster) correspond to what motors?<p><i>: : : : : : Just put an e30 M3 gauge cluster in my 87 325e. The tachometer is not accurate. There is no way in hell that I'm revving that high... 6200 (This is an "e" motor....!!). When it is at idle, it reads around 1300, which I figure to be around 500 off, from the "e" cluster...<p>: : : : : : Any way of re-calibrating it OR what else is there to do? Just leave it...????<p>: : : : : <br>: : : : : there a "coding plug" in the back of the old gauge cluster did you swap it out with the M3 cluster?<p>: : : : : : Thx, Chris<p>: : : : Yes, I did swap out a green plug, that has needle like pins that push up into the back of the cluster. Possibly put the single wire into the wrong pin on the green plug...? Or are they shaped so they don't go into the wrong inputs...??<p>: : : : Thx, Chris<p>: : : LoL, that's NOT the coding plug. The coding plug is in FRONT of the cluster, marked BMW with numbers on the bottom. It's a chip actually. <p>: : That's the inch long white one on the bottom of the cluster (front). Same one you need to pull out when taking the SI Board out....??<p>: : Thanks Barry, You're the best. Plethera of Good Ole' BMW e30 knowledge!!<p>: : Thx, <br>: : Chris<p>: Yes, that's the engine code chip on all E30's 86-92. 84-85 E30's used a black engine code plug, that is inserted into the tach in the back of the cluster. They tell the instruments what engine you have. The M3 cluster still thought it was running a 4 cylinder, S14 engine and interpreted the signals wrong, that's why the tach was off by so much. <p></i>

Barry
02-03-2000, 11:59 PM
<i>: Anyone happen to know what numbers on the coding plug and chip (both back and front of the cluster) correspond to what motors?<p>: : : : : : : Just put an e30 M3 gauge cluster in my 87 325e. The tachometer is not accurate. There is no way in hell that I'm revving that high... 6200 (This is an "e" motor....!!). When it is at idle, it reads around 1300, which I figure to be around 500 off, from the "e" cluster...<p>: : : : : : : Any way of re-calibrating it OR what else is there to do? Just leave it...????<p>: : : : : : <br>: : : : : : there a "coding plug" in the back of the old gauge cluster did you swap it out with the M3 cluster?<p>: : : : : : : Thx, Chris<p>: : : : : Yes, I did swap out a green plug, that has needle like pins that push up into the back of the cluster. Possibly put the single wire into the wrong pin on the green plug...? Or are they shaped so they don't go into the wrong inputs...??<p>: : : : : Thx, Chris<p>: : : : LoL, that's NOT the coding plug. The coding plug is in FRONT of the cluster, marked BMW with numbers on the bottom. It's a chip actually. <p>: : : That's the inch long white one on the bottom of the cluster (front). Same one you need to pull out when taking the SI Board out....??<p>: : : Thanks Barry, You're the best. Plethera of Good Ole' BMW e30 knowledge!!<p>: : : Thx, <br>: : : Chris<p>: : Yes, that's the engine code chip on all E30's 86-92. 84-85 E30's used a black engine code plug, that is inserted into the tach in the back of the cluster. They tell the instruments what engine you have. The M3 cluster still thought it was running a 4 cylinder, S14 engine and interpreted the signals wrong, that's why the tach was off by so much. <p></i>Do you really need to know or just asking for the hell of it? I could find out the numbers for you.

Gator
02-04-2000, 03:07 AM
<i>: : Anyone happen to know what numbers on the coding plug and chip (both back and front of the cluster) correspond to what motors?<p>: : : : : : : : Just put an e30 M3 gauge cluster in my 87 325e. The tachometer is not accurate. There is no way in hell that I'm revving that high... 6200 (This is an "e" motor....!!). When it is at idle, it reads around 1300, which I figure to be around 500 off, from the "e" cluster...<p>: : : : : : : : Any way of re-calibrating it OR what else is there to do? Just leave it...????<p>: : : : : : : <br>: : : : : : : there a "coding plug" in the back of the old gauge cluster did you swap it out with the M3 cluster?<p>: : : : : : : : Thx, Chris<p>: : : : : : Yes, I did swap out a green plug, that has needle like pins that push up into the back of the cluster. Possibly put the single wire into the wrong pin on the green plug...? Or are they shaped so they don't go into the wrong inputs...??<p>: : : : : : Thx, Chris<p>: : : : : LoL, that's NOT the coding plug. The coding plug is in FRONT of the cluster, marked BMW with numbers on the bottom. It's a chip actually. <p>: : : : That's the inch long white one on the bottom of the cluster (front). Same one you need to pull out when taking the SI Board out....??<p>: : : : Thanks Barry, You're the best. Plethera of Good Ole' BMW e30 knowledge!!<p>: : : : Thx, <br>: : : : Chris<p>: : : Yes, that's the engine code chip on all E30's 86-92. 84-85 E30's used a black engine code plug, that is inserted into the tach in the back of the cluster. They tell the instruments what engine you have. The M3 cluster still thought it was running a 4 cylinder, S14 engine and interpreted the signals wrong, that's why the tach was off by so much. <p>: Do you really need to know or just asking for the hell of it? I could find out the numbers for you. <p>I just thought that if there was a list of appropriate numbers somewhere in net, it would be interesting to see them. There are two reasons for this. <br>First, we have lots of different instrument clusters taken apart and this info would very much help on a situation when I'm trying to assemble an working instrument cluster to a certain car. Knowing the numbers of these parts (+ maybe meters, service board etc. too) would greatly reduce the time to make up a working meter set.<br> Second, in my own 325i the tachometer doesn't seem to show quite the right rpms on redline. After seeing this discussion I was thinking that maybe the "coding stick" could be the culprit. Any help would be much appreciated!

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index