Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

oscar
02-01-2000, 02:07 AM
i was in the e30 m3 board and by reading their posts, the e30 m3 must be even more fun to drive than i think it is. i want to know if a 325i stroker engine could move a 91 325i like the e30 m3, or would costs to do this make u want to buy a m3 anyway?<p>oscar

Barry
02-01-2000, 04:02 AM
<i>: i was in the e30 m3 board and by reading their posts, the e30 m3 must be even more fun to drive than i think it is. i want to know if a 325i stroker engine could move a 91 325i like the e30 m3, or would costs to do this make u want to buy a m3 anyway?<p>: oscar<p></i>Funny you should mention this on the board. The dyno sheets will tell you that a stroked 325i will produce more torque than a stock E30 M3, then again how many M3's are stock? Not many. I ran my own 2.7 liter 325i engine with a 4.10 gear (unintentionally and yes with the stock ETA crank) and that sucker hauled ***, it was much louder on the freeway though, similar to the M3. I couldn't drive that car everyday, fuel consumption went up, it was noisy, and it was just too high strung for highway use. It would have been perfect for track use though. Regular E30's are the cars to race out since the parts are plentiful and cheap compared to E30 M3 parts. The M20 engine can be modified to put out some serious power but I'd be careful not to put too much money into an engine that bends valves when the timing belt breaks (unless u get MM's no-interference pistons). But I have to tell you that the E30 M3 is the car to own, those ///M engineers outdid themselves with this one.

Lee
02-01-2000, 07:47 AM
What makes a car is not only horsepower, on which a stroked M20 engine can easily surpass an S14, but there is weight, and brakes.<p>The M3 is around 250 lbs lighter and has bigger brakes.<p>Lighter weight is why I bought a Euro E30, they weight as much as the M3.<p>A M20 engine is certainly less costly to maintain than an M3 engine, and torquier too.

Jeff87iS
02-01-2000, 10:57 AM
Lee and Barry make good points about power, torque and weight. It's relatively easy and not that expensive to give a 325i a similar power-to-weight ratio and commensurate straight-line performance. However, one of the things that makes the E30 M3 such a great handling car is its near-perfect 50/50 front/rear balance. Hard to achieve on an E30 with a baby six in the engine bay (in the States, the E30 325i/iS is something like 54/46 front/rear).

Kim Henshaw
02-01-2000, 06:16 PM
The euro E30 we are building for track work will weigh about the same as an E30 M3 but has as much rear wheel power as an E36 3.2l M3 - about 170kW at the rear wheels.....this engine is stroked to 2.7l and fitted with supercharging and an upgraded EMS. The running gear has also ben upgraded (I finally found the bits!!) to E30 M3 specs and the Turner Motorsport j-stock suspension and cool willy brake pads are on the way. Interior has had all sound deadening removed then carpets and console re-fitted, along with a really nifty bolt-in roll cage.<p>Soooo, imagine the surprise on the faces of the E36 M3 pilots next month when they get blown off by an E30 with similar power, 400kg less weight, superb handling and good brakes - and not an ///M badge in sight!!!!

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index