Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

N
02-03-2000, 05:21 PM
I am looking to replace my big fat metal bumpers on my 85 318i to the smaller ones on e30's 88-91. I've found a used front bumper off a 91 complete with shocks, lower valence, and newer foglights for $350. I have no idea how much they cost new or anything. I've not seen it yet but the guy says it's in excellent shape. Is $350 a good deal?

Barry
02-03-2000, 11:53 PM
<i>: I am looking to replace my big fat metal bumpers on my 85 318i to the smaller ones on e30's 88-91. I've found a used front bumper off a 91 complete with shocks, lower valence, and newer foglights for $350. I have no idea how much they cost new or anything. I've not seen it yet but the guy says it's in excellent shape. Is $350 a good deal?<p></i>Not bad, do you have to pay shipping? Be prepared to spend extra time/money getting the rear bumper to look right.

n
02-04-2000, 12:03 AM
<i>: : I am looking to replace my big fat metal bumpers on my 85 318i to the smaller ones on e30's 88-91. I've found a used front bumper off a 91 complete with shocks, lower valence, and newer foglights for $350. I have no idea how much they cost new or anything. I've not seen it yet but the guy says it's in excellent shape. Is $350 a good deal?<p>: Not bad, do you have to pay shipping? Be prepared to spend extra time/money getting the rear bumper to look right. <p></i><p>Yes, I would be paying for the shipping. What kind of crap am I going to run into with the rear bumper?

george
02-04-2000, 07:32 PM
That rear bumper is not going to fit without HEAVY modifications (so I've been told!) I wanted to do the same thing to my 84 318 and was strongly discouraged from doing so by people in the know.<p>Two good alternatives:<p>1) Put the European bumper from '84-'87 (hard to find used, cheap and straight)<p>2) Buy a fiberglass bumper/spoiler replacement. BMP has a nice one that is not expensive.<p><i>: : : I am looking to replace my big fat metal bumpers on my 85 318i to the smaller ones on e30's 88-91. I've found a used front bumper off a 91 complete with shocks, lower valence, and newer foglights for $350. I have no idea how much they cost new or anything. I've not seen it yet but the guy says it's in excellent shape. Is $350 a good deal?<p>: : Not bad, do you have to pay shipping? Be prepared to spend extra time/money getting the rear bumper to look right. <p><br>: Yes, I would be paying for the shipping. What kind of crap am I going to run into with the rear bumper?<p></i><br>

Barry
02-04-2000, 07:43 PM
<i>: : : I am looking to replace my big fat metal bumpers on my 85 318i to the smaller ones on e30's 88-91. I've found a used front bumper off a 91 complete with shocks, lower valence, and newer foglights for $350. I have no idea how much they cost new or anything. I've not seen it yet but the guy says it's in excellent shape. Is $350 a good deal?<p>: : Not bad, do you have to pay shipping? Be prepared to spend extra time/money getting the rear bumper to look right. <p><br>: Yes, I would be paying for the shipping. What kind of crap am I going to run into with the rear bumper?<p></i>The rear will fit it's just that it won't fit perfectly, the ends will protrude into the wheel wells about 1/2 inch. You will have to have the body shop shave it.

Tony Clifton
02-04-2000, 07:54 PM
ok, here's the deal. in 9/87 BMW changed the quarter panel. the rear bumper WILL bolt on to the car. it also WILL protrude into the wheel well about 3/4". it's not a perfect fit, but if you can tolerate it, then go for it. just because someone tells you not to do it, doesnt mean you shouldn't do it. click on the link below to see a car with the bumper conversion, then decide for yourself if you want to go through with it.

n
02-05-2000, 01:13 AM
I'm not sure whether I'm going to do it or not, but I appreciate all the info!

MIKE 88 325I
02-05-2000, 09:07 AM
<i>: I'm not sure whether I'm going to do it or not, but I appreciate all the info!<p></i>WE DID IT TO 84 318 AND IT CAME REAL GOOD,THE SECRET FOR THE BUMMPER EXTENDING INTO THE WHEEL WELL CAN BE CORRECTED BY TAKING OFF THE BUMPER SHOCKS AND PLACING A COUPLE OF THICK WASHER BETWEEN THE BODY AND THE SHOCKS, THIS WILL HELP THE SHOCKS STICK OUT A LITTLE MORE AND THE CLEARANCE BETWEEN BODY AND BUMPER IS NOT NOTICEABLE.<p>THE CAR WILL LOOK REAL NICE,ITS WORTH THE MONEY<p>MIKE 88 325I WITH 89 BUMPERS

Tony Clifton
02-05-2000, 09:47 AM
well, yea thats an old trick, but you have to be careful not to push it out too far, or you'll end up with a nasty gap between the bumper and the body of the car. it still wont fit PERFECTLY, but its damn close. you can do it, regardless of what the naysayers would lead you to believe.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index