Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

steve mcmillen
02-07-2000, 11:22 AM
Read in archive this may be fuel relays, but also may have to do with O2 sensor. I know my O2 sensor is shot, but my mechanic says car will run fine without it. Any help/opinions on why car dies under normal driving conditions (say, going along at 30 mph), then starts right up. Thanks.

Charlie
02-07-2000, 01:32 PM
<b>Get a new mechanic, this guy doesn't have a clue. If your O2 sensor is shot, the car's gonna stumble, stall, and do everything you're describing. Motronic goes nuts if it gets bad O2 sensor readins. <p>-Charlie<p></b><p><i>: Read in archive this may be fuel relays, but also may have to do with O2 sensor. I know my O2 sensor is shot, but my mechanic says car will run fine without it. Any help/opinions on why car dies under normal driving conditions (say, going along at 30 mph), then starts right up. Thanks.<p></i>

Roy Wicklund
02-07-2000, 03:34 PM
<i>: Read in archive this may be fuel relays, but also may have to do with O2 sensor. I know my O2 sensor is shot, but my mechanic says car will run fine without it. Any help/opinions on why car dies under normal driving conditions (say, going along at 30 mph), then starts right up. Thanks.<p></i> I had a similiar problem with my 325iX. After replacing the metronic fuel relay the problem was solved. Hope this hepls.

Brian G from Dallas
02-07-2000, 11:20 PM
Steve, Roy is correct !<p>My 1987 BMW 325is engine would cut out on me for no apparent reason about three years ago. I would have to pull into the nearest parking lot and attempt to restart it. After a couple of tries, it would start. Definitely not a problem I wanted when passing other cars.<p>My Service Advisor tried changing out the Gas Pump Relay and also the Relay switch. It was the Relay switch that fixed the problem. I have not had one single incident since then. Looking at my invoice, it was part # 12-63-1-708-646. Cost three years ago was $ 29.11.<p>I hope this helps you out.<p>Brian

Craig
02-08-2000, 10:04 PM
<br><i>: <b>Get a new mechanic, this guy doesn't have a clue. If your O2 sensor is shot, the car's gonna stumble, stall, and do everything you're describing. Motronic goes nuts if it gets bad O2 sensor readins. <p>: -Charlie<p>: </b><p>: : Read in archive this may be fuel relays, but also may have to do with O2 sensor. I know my O2 sensor is shot, but my mechanic says car will run fine without it. Any help/opinions on why car dies under normal driving conditions (say, going along at 30 mph), then starts right up. Thanks.<p></i>I thought that the motronic unit would revert to a default setting if missing or nonfunctional.<br>My 86'325 ran fine and passed emissions test in Colorado with an O2 sensor that was missing. Mechanic repaired and enlightend me to to tune of 165.00$

steve mcmillen
02-09-2000, 03:07 PM
<p>That's what my mechanic told me too - he could charge me $200 to replace, but the car reverts to a default and will run fine, although maybe with not as great of emission control, without O2 sensor. Kinda want to replace myself, but must take off manifold, right?

Jerry Johns
02-16-2000, 04:06 PM
I had a similar problem recently on my 87 325i. After a bunch of troubleshooting and getting stranded, we finally traced the problem to an intermittent wire from the battery (in the trunk on my car) to the terminal block on the firewall. The smaller of the 2 wires from the positive battery terminal, pick up the engine harness at the firewall terminal block, so when the wire would go open (usually after a hard stop) power to the main fuel pump relay and the engine control relay would go away and the engine would die. hope that helps....

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index