Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

MIKE 88 325I
02-07-2000, 08:46 PM
When i first start my car i have to pump the gas,not a big problem, the problem is the after the car start the idle goes up and down by about 200 RPM and will not stabIlize, it is driving me up the wall.<br>This car is a 88 325I, but i replaced the engine with a 90 325i. Not sure if idle control system is different between 88&90, or if anything change.<p>ANY INPUT WIL PREVENT ME FROM DUMPING THIS CAR, SICK AND TIRE.<p>THANKS IN ADVANCE, PLEASE HELP ME.<p>MIKE 88 325I

Richard V
02-07-2000, 10:49 PM
<i>: When i first start my car i have to pump the gas,not a big problem, the problem is the after the car start the idle goes up and down by about 200 RPM and will not stabIlize, it is driving me up the wall.<br>: This car is a 88 325I, but i replaced the engine with a 90 325i. Not sure if idle control system is different between 88&90, or if anything change.<p>: ANY INPUT WIL PREVENT ME FROM DUMPING THIS CAR, SICK AND TIRE.<p>: THANKS IN ADVANCE, PLEASE HELP ME.<p>: MIKE 88 325I<p></i>Have you tried cleaning the Idle Control Valve?

Nick
02-08-2000, 02:02 PM
<i>: When i first start my car i have to pump the gas,not a big problem, the problem is the after the car start the idle goes up and down by about 200 RPM and will not stabIlize, it is driving me up the wall.<br>: This car is a 88 325I, but i replaced the engine with a 90 325i. Not sure if idle control system is different between 88&90, or if anything change.<p>: ANY INPUT WIL PREVENT ME FROM DUMPING THIS CAR, SICK AND TIRE.<p>: THANKS IN ADVANCE, PLEASE HELP ME.<p>: MIKE 88 325I<p><p></i>

John Matheson
02-10-2000, 05:53 AM
<i>: When i first start my car i have to pump the gas,not a big problem, the problem is the after the car start the idle goes up and down by about 200 RPM and will not stabIlize, it is driving me up the wall.<p><br>This problem is usually caused by a maladjusted throttle stop and/or idle switch. When the throttle closes, the Motronic needs to be told to enable the idle control valve. If the switch is inoperable the engine "hunts". It is easy enough to adjust either the throttle stop or switch as necessary. The Bentley service manual covers the correct proceedure. Alternatively any competent BMW mechanic can do it in a couple of minutes.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index