Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Scarry Scott
02-08-2000, 12:22 AM
Is it reasonable to assume that if I can get my horsepower up I could throw in a differential from a 325i into my 318i without having to change my my clutch as often as my oil? As it is i typically use second gear for take off except on inclines. I've beefed up my motor enough where first is like a granny gear but second is just a little too high geared to be practicle for all situations. Anyone out there done this before? Any advice or comments would be helpful. Thanks

peter from germany
02-09-2000, 04:19 PM
hello <p>i dont beleve that your 318 has the power for the long diff from a 325. the 318i is 3,65:1 and the 325 is 3,20:1 and that is to long for your 318.<br>please ignore the mistakes, my schoolenglish is 20 years ago.<p>best regards <p>peter

Charlie
02-09-2000, 04:37 PM
<b>You didn't bother to mention which sort of 318i you have, (assuming american) is it the 84-85 M10 or the 90-91 M42? If it's the older M10, than you're SOL, the diff's are different, and won't fit. If it's the newer one, then sure, you can swap it right in. <p>-Charlie<p></b><br><i>: Is it reasonable to assume that if I can get my horsepower up I could throw in a differential from a 325i into my 318i without having to change my my clutch as often as my oil? As it is i typically use second gear for take off except on inclines. I've beefed up my motor enough where first is like a granny gear but second is just a little too high geared to be practicle for all situations. Anyone out there done this before? Any advice or comments would be helpful. Thanks<p></i>

Charlie
02-09-2000, 04:56 PM
<b>Dein Englisch ist schon nämlich fromm da mein Deutsch, na durchnehmen nicht Beunruhigung darum. Nämlich vors Ausgleichgetriebe Verhältnisse, in Amerika sie sind unstillbar als in Deutschland. Der 325i hat ein 3,73 Weile der 318i hat ein 4,10 <p>Tschüss<p>-Charlie<p></b> <p><i>: hello <p>: i dont beleve that your 318 has the power for the long diff from a 325. the 318i is 3,65:1 and the 325 is 3,20:1 and that is to long for your 318.<br>: please ignore the mistakes, my schoolenglish is 20 years ago.<p>: best regards <p>: peter<p></i>

Scarry Scott
02-10-2000, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the info. My car is an 84 and it reminds me of a Fiat Spider i owned once that had a 4,10:1. Four granny gears with with an overdrive 8-) Great for hills but worthless in Central California. weren't there 325's in 84/85 or did they not arrive til later? Thanks again for responding.<p>Scott<p><i>: <b>You didn't bother to mention which sort of 318i you have, (assuming american) is it the 84-85 M10 or the 90-91 M42? If it's the older M10, than you're SOL, the diff's are different, and won't fit. If it's the newer one, then sure, you can swap it right in. <p>: -Charlie<p>: </b><br>: : Is it reasonable to assume that if I can get my horsepower up I could throw in a differential from a 325i into my 318i without having to change my my clutch as often as my oil? As it is i typically use second gear for take off except on inclines. I've beefed up my motor enough where first is like a granny gear but second is just a little too high geared to be practicle for all situations. Anyone out there done this before? Any advice or comments would be helpful. Thanks<p></i>

Scarry Scott
02-10-2000, 03:19 AM
Thanks for responding Peter,<br>Not what i wanted to hear because putting on large tires doesn't appeal to me. My brothers 320i seems to have taller gears that mine and my old 77 320i did as well. beside the speedo sensor did they completely redesign the diff for the 318? How much more torque would i have to get in order to pull the higher gears do you think? The 84 325e shows 170 ft/lb for a 2.79:1 diff. My car "stock" has 103 ft/lb of torque and i figured i am running at least 15-20 more horses than stock for now and will hopefully improve on that as time goes by. I have my original owners manual and it shows that my final drive is 3.91:1. Should I look around for a 3.65:1 diff? My mom is from arkansas and your english is much better than I am accustomed to so don't worry about mistakes, you write well! <br> Thanks again for the reply! Scott<br><i>: hello <p>: i dont beleve that your 318 has the power for the long diff from a 325. the 318i is 3,65:1 and the 325 is 3,20:1 and that is to long for your 318.<br>: please ignore the mistakes, my schoolenglish is 20 years ago.<p>: best regards <p>: peter<p></i>

Charlie
02-10-2000, 08:58 AM
<b>There were 325e's back then, they had something like a 2.93 rear end. The problem that you run into with the M10 318i is that there are a number of different peices, different sized rear ends, different half shaft sizes, etc. In other words, you can't just swap it.<p>-Charlie<p></b><br><i>: Thanks for the info. My car is an 84 and it reminds me of a Fiat Spider i owned once that had a 4,10:1. Four granny gears with with an overdrive 8-) Great for hills but worthless in Central California. weren't there 325's in 84/85 or did they not arrive til later? Thanks again for responding.<p>: Scott<p>: : <b>You didn't bother to mention which sort of 318i you have, (assuming american) is it the 84-85 M10 or the 90-91 M42? If it's the older M10, than you're SOL, the diff's are different, and won't fit. If it's the newer one, then sure, you can swap it right in. <p>: : -Charlie<p>: : </b><br>: : : Is it reasonable to assume that if I can get my horsepower up I could throw in a differential from a 325i into my 318i without having to change my my clutch as often as my oil? As it is i typically use second gear for take off except on inclines. I've beefed up my motor enough where first is like a granny gear but second is just a little too high geared to be practicle for all situations. Anyone out there done this before? Any advice or comments would be helpful. Thanks<p></i>

Barry
02-12-2000, 11:01 PM
<i>: <b>There were 325e's back then, they had something like a 2.93 rear end. The problem that you run into with the M10 318i is that there are a number of different peices, different sized rear ends, different half shaft sizes, etc. In other words, you can't just swap it.<p>: -Charlie<p>: </b><br>: : Thanks for the info. My car is an 84 and it reminds me of a Fiat Spider i owned once that had a 4,10:1. Four granny gears with with an overdrive 8-) Great for hills but worthless in Central California. weren't there 325's in 84/85 or did they not arrive til later? Thanks again for responding.<p>: : Scott<p>: : : <b>You didn't bother to mention which sort of 318i you have, (assuming american) is it the 84-85 M10 or the 90-91 M42? If it's the older M10, than you're SOL, the diff's are different, and won't fit. If it's the newer one, then sure, you can swap it right in. <p>: : : -Charlie<p>: : : </b><br>: : : : Is it reasonable to assume that if I can get my horsepower up I could throw in a differential from a 325i into my 318i without having to change my my clutch as often as my oil? As it is i typically use second gear for take off except on inclines. I've beefed up my motor enough where first is like a granny gear but second is just a little too high geared to be practicle for all situations. Anyone out there done this before? Any advice or comments would be helpful. Thanks<p></i>84-85 325e's had a 2.79 gear, then in 86-88 they used the 2.93. Your only alternative is to have the gear ring changed in your 318 diff, and that can be costly since the rings are NLA.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index