Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Sean
01-21-1999, 03:56 PM
Well, my initial plan to just add two amps ( A/D/S/ P440 and P4100) and two subs (free air, A/D/S/ 310 rs or 308rs) has been expanded. So much for my initial wish to keep it around $1000. After reading Bob Hazlewoods informative post on the M3 board, I've decided that the stock front speakers should be replaced since they don't have crossovers built in.<p>On the other hand, since my two amps do have crossovers, I could use them to filter the stock mids and tweeters, but I think I would lose my fader control.<p>Also, it seems silly to scrimp at this point, after I've already invested all this money in equipment. Anyways, adding a set of nice compenent speakers w/ external crossovers seems to be my next course of action.<p>Oh well, can anyone offer advice on the following?<p><br>1) I like the a/d/s/ 335is component set up for the front, plus it would match the rest of my setup very well. This speaker set costs approx. $370. On the other hand, I've done some reading on the Polk Audio<br>db 3055 component set up (only $150-$180!). It seems to be a well made quality piece w/ good materials (butyl rubber, copolymer domes, etc.) But do they sound good? Their website had some nice reviews but has anyone tried these yet?<p><p>2) For the free air subs, can I fit 10" under the rear deck of my 99 323i? Maybe I should go w/ 8" to keep it neater?<p><br>Still looking for the right installer. I checked out a great place in Beverly Hills called Paris Audio. They had porsche 996 and a Bentley install in progress and they did a great job on those. I'd like to go w/ them but their install rates are pretty high.<p>To install the two amps (already paid for) and two 308rs A/D/S/ subs (buy from them) (w/ custom baffle board & grill on the rear deck) + amp rack, wires, fuses, etc. Total intall plus the price of the 2 subs is $1250. This means that labor costs around $700-$800. <br>This doesn't even include the costs of installing the front components. <p>What do you guys think? Anyone have experience w/ them?

Steve
01-21-1999, 04:26 PM
<i>: Well, my initial plan to just add two amps ( A/D/S/ P440 and P4100) and two subs (free air, A/D/S/ 310 rs or 308rs) has been expanded. So much for my initial wish to keep it around $1000. After reading Bob Hazlewoods informative post on the M3 board, I've decided that the stock front speakers should be replaced since they don't have crossovers built in.<p>: On the other hand, since my two amps do have crossovers, I could use them to filter the stock mids and tweeters, but I think I would lose my fader control.<p>: Also, it seems silly to scrimp at this point, after I've already invested all this money in equipment. Anyways, adding a set of nice compenent speakers w/ external crossovers seems to be my next course of action.<p>: Oh well, can anyone offer advice on the following?<p>: <br>: 1) I like the a/d/s/ 335is component set up for the front, plus it would match the rest of my setup very well. This speaker set costs approx. $370. On the other hand, I've done some reading on the Polk Audio<br>: db 3055 component set up (only $150-$180!). It seems to be a well made quality piece w/ good materials (butyl rubber, copolymer domes, etc.) But do they sound good? Their website had some nice reviews but has anyone tried these yet?<p><br>: 2) For the free air subs, can I fit 10" under the rear deck of my 99 323i? Maybe I should go w/ 8" to keep it neater?<p>: <br>: Still looking for the right installer. I checked out a great place in Beverly Hills called Paris Audio. They had porsche 996 and a Bentley install in progress and they did a great job on those. I'd like to go w/ them but their install rates are pretty high.<p>: To install the two amps (already paid for) and two 308rs A/D/S/ subs (buy from them) (w/ custom baffle board & grill on the rear deck) + amp rack, wires, fuses, etc. Total intall plus the price of the 2 subs is $1250. This means that labor costs around $700-$800. <br>: This doesn't even include the costs of installing the front components. <p>: What do you guys think? Anyone have experience w/ them? <p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index