Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Cowboy
01-22-1999, 03:49 PM
Andrew BW Colfelt Wrote:<p>Ok, you sunzabitches, here's the deal on Engine Oil for the E46: there ain't<br>no deal.<p>DO NOT CHANGE YOUR OIL.<p>The drain plug can be found on the passenger side between the sway bar and<br>the skid plate.<p>DO NOT CHANGE YOUR OIL.<p>Thanks for the confirmation that the E36 and E46 share the same oil filter<br>insert.<p>DO NOT CHANGE YOUR OIL.<p>I figured that I would probably change my oil after 500 miles or so, during<br>break-in, to rid my engine of tiny metal particulates, thereby increasing<br>engine life considerably. I blew it off, thinking I should probably wait<br>until 1200 miles.<p>I got to 1200 miles, thinking that it was a good time to change it. When I<br>got to 1500 miles I actually went out and bought oil and a filter insert.<br>Due to my inability to find the drain plug weekend-before-last, I bailed on<br>the job and waited until I could talk to my rep at the dealer.<p>DO NOT CHANGE YOU OIL.<p>I have 1750 miles as of today and talked with the dealer. Mike spoke with<br>the 'Brett Anderson' of Gebhardt BMW in Boulder, Kevin, about where the plug<br>is and what to do about a wild-*** customer who was hell-bent on changing<br>his oil before the BMW factory interval of 15,000 miles.<p>DO NOT CHANGE YOUR OIL.<p>Kevin gladly revealed the secret location of the drain plug to Mike, who<br>dutifully relayed the information to me. Mike also made it VERY clear that<br>Kevin said about 10 times DO NOT CHANGE YOUR OIL. Even Mike, the sales rep,<br>had thought that 1200 miles was too early, and that 3000 would be better,<br>but Kevin insisted that it would be better to wait until 5000 miles.<p>I confirmed with Mike that this advice was in direct contrast to everything<br>we've learned over the years about frequent oil changes being a<br>GoodThing(tm), especially right after break-in. He and Kevin understand how<br>this 15,000 mile thing is utterly unbelievable.<p>Apparently, the rules have changed, due to the improvements in manufacturing<br>and the use of synthetic oils during break-in. This is to say nothing of the<br>INSISTANCE by BMW that you use their BMW Long Life oil, ALWAYS. Phew. At<br>least I got THAT one right.<p>Current wisdom, therefore, states that 5000 miles is the EARLIEST you should<br>consider performing the first oil change, and it seems that the jury might<br>still be out even on that.<p>BMW apparently acknowledges the public's problems in comprehending this and<br>is considering a public response. Who knows, maybe that will be an edict<br>granting 'permission' to change at 5000, or an insistance that we follow the<br>factory-specified intervals of 15,000 miles...<p>_____________________________________________<br>Andrew BW Colfelt<p>Thought some might have missed this or are new to this msg board.<br>Cowboy

Steve
01-22-1999, 04:49 PM
I have a few things to add. First, my dealer doesn't have a problem with more-frequent oil changes as long as you are willing to pay for them (not covered by stnd warranty etc). Second, I know from a BMW service employee that BMW is very concerned with something they call "cost of ownership". Apparently their marketing people think a lot of people don't buy BMWs because they are too expensive to maintain. Therefore, unless toy can talk "off-the-record" with a BMW service person, they will not recommend ANY service item other than the prescribed warranty schedule. this includes oil changes, fuel injector cleaner (Techron), dry-gas in winter (they say keep your tank full all the time--how do you do that and drive too?). And third, I talked with a Valvoline employee who was part of the BMW Long Life Oil program at valvoline. In short, he said the same (old) rules apply to oil changes regardless of the oil type being used. In so many words, unless the filter systems are vastly improved, 3K-5K intervals should be performed (epecially if you plan on keeping the car a long-long time).<p>Steve<br>98 E36<p><p><br><i>: Andrew BW Colfelt Wrote:<p>: Ok, you sunzabitches, here's the deal on Engine Oil for the E46: there ain't<br>: no deal.<p>: DO NOT CHANGE YOUR OIL.<p>: The drain plug can be found on the passenger side between the sway bar and<br>: the skid plate.<p>: DO NOT CHANGE YOUR OIL.<p>: Thanks for the confirmation that the E36 and E46 share the same oil filter<br>: insert.<p>: DO NOT CHANGE YOUR OIL.<p>: I figured that I would probably change my oil after 500 miles or so, during<br>: break-in, to rid my engine of tiny metal particulates, thereby increasing<br>: engine life considerably. I blew it off, thinking I should probably wait<br>: until 1200 miles.<p>: I got to 1200 miles, thinking that it was a good time to change it. When I<br>: got to 1500 miles I actually went out and bought oil and a filter insert.<br>: Due to my inability to find the drain plug weekend-before-last, I bailed on<br>: the job and waited until I could talk to my rep at the dealer.<p>: DO NOT CHANGE YOU OIL.<p>: I have 1750 miles as of today and talked with the dealer. Mike spoke with<br>: the 'Brett Anderson' of Gebhardt BMW in Boulder, Kevin, about where the plug<br>: is and what to do about a wild-*** customer who was hell-bent on changing<br>: his oil before the BMW factory interval of 15,000 miles.<p>: DO NOT CHANGE YOUR OIL.<p>: Kevin gladly revealed the secret location of the drain plug to Mike, who<br>: dutifully relayed the information to me. Mike also made it VERY clear that<br>: Kevin said about 10 times DO NOT CHANGE YOUR OIL. Even Mike, the sales rep,<br>: had thought that 1200 miles was too early, and that 3000 would be better,<br>: but Kevin insisted that it would be better to wait until 5000 miles.<p>: I confirmed with Mike that this advice was in direct contrast to everything<br>: we've learned over the years about frequent oil changes being a<br>: GoodThing(tm), especially right after break-in. He and Kevin understand how<br>: this 15,000 mile thing is utterly unbelievable.<p>: Apparently, the rules have changed, due to the improvements in manufacturing<br>: and the use of synthetic oils during break-in. This is to say nothing of the<br>: INSISTANCE by BMW that you use their BMW Long Life oil, ALWAYS. Phew. At<br>: least I got THAT one right.<p>: Current wisdom, therefore, states that 5000 miles is the EARLIEST you should<br>: consider performing the first oil change, and it seems that the jury might<br>: still be out even on that.<p>: BMW apparently acknowledges the public's problems in comprehending this and<br>: is considering a public response. Who knows, maybe that will be an edict<br>: granting 'permission' to change at 5000, or an insistance that we follow the<br>: factory-specified intervals of 15,000 miles...<p>: _____________________________________________<br>: Andrew BW Colfelt<p>: Thought some might have missed this or are new to this msg board.<br>: Cowboy<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index