Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

new buyer
01-23-1999, 12:47 AM
I have a BMW Z3 now, and have been thinking of going to something larger. I still want something sporty, would probably get an M3 if I could afford it. I've been thinking about the 328, but then I started checking out the A4. That seems like a really nice car, quattro option and all that. Also, the warranty on the A4 is better, including wear and tear items like brake pads and such. <p> Just wondering if others had looked at them, and why you decided in the Bimmer.<p>Thanks.

Kohn
01-23-1999, 02:14 AM
I think BMW warranty is more generous. It covers sched maint for 3/36. However, it has a more generous 4/50K car warranty. Audi's warranty is only 3/50K for both sched maint and complete car. To tell you the truth, the scheduled maintenance on any quality car is very low from years 1-3 anyway. I had a BMW and I never came close to hitting the INSP II light within 3 yrs or 36K, so I ended out paying big bucks in the 4th year. I also did not wear out any tires or brakes until the fourth year, so all BMW did was change oil and do a meaningless INSP I for me. Big deal. It was nice, however, having that 4th year of warranty.<p>Drive the 328 vs the A4 and you will likely see the virtues of the 328. It is somewhat subjective, but I like the overall feel of the 328. I think the exterior styling of the A4 is a little plain and not as lean and athletic as the 328. Both cars have decent looking interiors. One definite advantage Audi has is the option of awd. <p><p><br><i>: I have a BMW Z3 now, and have been thinking of going to something larger. I still want something sporty, would probably get an M3 if I could afford it. I've been thinking about the 328, but then I started checking out the A4. That seems like a really nice car, quattro option and all that. Also, the warranty on the A4 is better, including wear and tear items like brake pads and such. <p>: Just wondering if others had looked at them, and why you decided in the Bimmer.<p>: Thanks.<p></i>

5 years from now?
01-23-1999, 11:50 AM
<i>: I have a BMW Z3 now, and have been thinking of going to something larger. I still want something sporty, would probably get an M3 if I could afford it. I've been thinking about the 328, but then I started checking out the A4. That seems like a really nice car, quattro option and all that. Also, the warranty on the A4 is better, including wear and tear items like brake pads and such. <p>: Just wondering if others had looked at them, and why you decided in the Bimmer.<p>: Thanks.<p></i>

ian
01-23-1999, 01:04 PM
<i>: : I have a BMW Z3 now, and have been thinking of going to something larger. I still want something sporty, would probably get an M3 if I could afford it. I've been thinking about the 328, but then I started checking out the A4. That seems like a really nice car, quattro option and all that. Also, the warranty on the A4 is better, including wear and tear items like brake pads and such. <p>: : Just wondering if others had looked at them, and why you decided in the Bimmer.<p>: : Thanks.<p></i>

FrankRizzo
01-23-1999, 02:35 PM
I know the new 3's are running about 65%. Anyone know what the A4 is running? I know the Passat was 58%. (And they are similar components).

SLK
01-23-1999, 04:25 PM
Rear seat room was a factor. <br>Try getting out of the rear seat of an A4 with the front seat all the way back. If you are an adult in the rear seat it takes a lot of twisting to get out. The E46 has a lot more seat and leg room in the rear than the A4.<p>That is one major reason I went with the E46<p><i>: I have a BMW Z3 now, and have been thinking of going to something larger. I still want something sporty, would probably get an M3 if I could afford it. I've been thinking about the 328, but then I started checking out the A4. That seems like a really nice car, quattro option and all that. Also, the warranty on the A4 is better, including wear and tear items like brake pads and such. <p>: Just wondering if others had looked at them, and why you decided in the Bimmer.<p>: Thanks.<p></i>

ian
01-23-1999, 05:55 PM
99 A4 2.8 quatro 60 mos residual = 47%<br>99 328i 60 mos residual = 48%<p>I got those numbers from www.carwizard.com. Look in the new car data, each car has a tab for residual and money factor.<p><br><i>: I know the new 3's are running about 65%. Anyone know what the A4 is running? I know the Passat was 58%. (And they are similar components).<br></i><br>

Gilbert
01-25-1999, 09:09 AM
The 328 is a better performer than the audi. (That's why I chose it.) AWD is nice, but that, (and the looks,) would've been the reason I bought the Audi. I went with the performance.<p>The nice advantage to the A4, is that it is a little cheaper. (3-4K depending options) The A4 also has split fold down rear seat standard. (I had to pay for it in my 328.) I think it has slightly more trunk room. (But anything has more trunk room than Z3.)<p>As far as Warranty goes. Both cars are about the same. (4 year b/b and powertrain.) The Audi has a better corrosion Warranty(More use of Aluminum.)<br>I'm pretty sure the Audi also has roadside assistance, but am not sure about scheduled maintanence.<p>I don't know anything about depreciation, but that didn't influence my decision at all. (I bought a BMW because I knew it would last (for me) not so that I could sell it later on.<p>So, if it's performance your're looking for: by all means make it a 328. If you are more interested in looks and a nice car, I think the A4 is a better choice than the 323.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index