Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

jason
01-23-1999, 08:38 PM
(also in E36 board...sorry)<p>For a little while, i've been racking my brains over my car decision. Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated!<p>1st choice: '95 M3 manual, coupe<br> +'s : m3...nuff said<br> -'s : 40,000 miles, probably been driven hard for four years<p>2nd choice: '96 or '97 328is manual, coupe <br> +'s : lower mileage, still under warranty<br> -'s : fairly expensive b/c of high resale value, used.<p>3rd choice: '99 323 w/ sport pack, manual, sedan<br> +'s : NEW, e46 body will look 'new' for many years<br> -'s : weaker engine, SEDAN (not good)<p>Overall, i'm not concerned about resale value b/c I plan to keep the car for a while. Which is why the M3 maintenance years down the road might cost too much...not sure.<br>But, I do prefer the M3 body over the E46. Maybe i could add the aero kit to the 328is..<br>All three are around the same price range.<p>I'd love to hear your opinion..thanks so much

arnold
01-23-1999, 08:47 PM
Jason,<p> I was in the same boat as you were about two weeks ago. My choices were a 97 M3/4, 96-97 328i Sedan, and 99 323i.<br> I wasn't really looking for a coupe because I used to have a 93 318is.<br> As you said, prices for these were in the 30-34k range except for the 328i which were advertised here in the LA area under 30k usually.<br> I did end up getting the 99 323i for many reasons but mainly I wanted the "new" look. Another factor was my insurance costs per year would have increased significantly if I got the M3.<br> I suffered many sleepless nights thinking about this but I guess it just comes down to personal preferences and tastes. Either way, any choice you make will be an excellent one.<p>just my .02<p>Arnold<br> <br> <br>

bmw3
01-23-1999, 09:18 PM
I would not buy any used car unless I personally knew the owner and how he cared for the car. A used M3 has probably been driven very hard.

Jack
01-23-1999, 10:42 PM
<i>: I would not buy any used car unless I personally knew the owner and how he cared for the car. A used M3 has probably been driven very hard. <p></i><p>I second what Jason said. Many times when people decide to sell a car is when they've been driving it really hard and the car has begun to show signs of problems so they want to dump it on someone else.<p>I would not get a used car (especially a high performance car such as the M3) unless I knew the previous owner and knew how the car was cared for.<p>

Randy Sparre
01-23-1999, 10:49 PM
<i>: (also in E36 board...sorry)<p>: For a little while, i've been racking my brains over my car decision. Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated!<p>: 1st choice: '95 M3 manual, coupe<br>: +'s : m3...nuff said<br>: -'s : 40,000 miles, probably been driven hard for four years<p>: 2nd choice: '96 or '97 328is manual, coupe <br>: +'s : lower mileage, still under warranty<br>: -'s : fairly expensive b/c of high resale value, used.<p>: 3rd choice: '99 323 w/ sport pack, manual, sedan<br>: +'s : NEW, e46 body will look 'new' for many years<br>: -'s : weaker engine, SEDAN (not good)<p>: Overall, i'm not concerned about resale value b/c I plan to keep the car for a while. Which is why the M3 maintenance years down the road might cost too much...not sure.<br>: But, I do prefer the M3 body over the E46. Maybe i could add the aero kit to the 328is..<br>: All three are around the same price range.<p>: I'd love to hear your opinion..thanks so much <p></i>Holy **** Jason,<p>I swear to you I had the exact same dillema. I had the chance to buy a 95 M3 AND also the chance to buy a EURO spec 94 M3 (I live in Toronto) but the fact that they're M3's and used made me shy away from buying them because they were most likely abused (after all, who buys an M3 and baby's it?) Next was an E36. It was a 97 328is (by the way, my purchase HAD to be a coupe) but I put some serious thought into it and realized that (at least were I live) everyone has a done up E36 and I'll just be one of the sheep. Besides it's old technology and I'll feel kinda stupid 2years from now when everyone's driving around in E46's. Two weeks ago a put a deposit on a 323ci (coupe) Yes, they are taking deposits and delivery is sometime in Sept. If you want to know more about the options and deposit Email me<p>Randy Sparre<p>gasef@home.com

Randy S
01-23-1999, 10:57 PM
<i>: (also in E36 board...sorry)<p>: For a little while, i've been racking my brains over my car decision. Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated!<p>: 1st choice: '95 M3 manual, coupe<br>: +'s : m3...nuff said<br>: -'s : 40,000 miles, probably been driven hard for four years<p>: 2nd choice: '96 or '97 328is manual, coupe <br>: +'s : lower mileage, still under warranty<br>: -'s : fairly expensive b/c of high resale value, used.<p>: 3rd choice: '99 323 w/ sport pack, manual, sedan<br>: +'s : NEW, e46 body will look 'new' for many years<br>: -'s : weaker engine, SEDAN (not good)<p>: Overall, i'm not concerned about resale value b/c I plan to keep the car for a while. Which is why the M3 maintenance years down the road might cost too much...not sure.<br>: But, I do prefer the M3 body over the E46. Maybe i could add the aero kit to the 328is..<br>: All three are around the same price range.<p>: I'd love to hear your opinion..thanks so much <p></i>As for the lack of performance in the E46 compared to the other two.. I'm sure a chip, filter, and exhaust would spice it up a bit. Of course it wouldn't even be close to the M3(neither would the insurance rates), but I drive a 260 hp E30 that would embarass most M3's, and if the competition were to get tougher... I just have to go into my garage and pull out my '93 Kawasaki ZX-7.

Bimmer Dude
01-24-1999, 12:26 AM
In addition to worrying about maintenance costs, you should also be concerned with insurance costs. When I was thinking about getting a new 328i my insurance broker quoted me $650 per six months for a sedan and $750 for a coupe. The extra $200 per year may matter to you.<p>BD<br>

Tom
01-24-1999, 03:45 AM
<i>: (also in E36 board...sorry)<p>: For a little while, i've been racking my brains over my car decision. Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated!<p>: 1st choice: '95 M3 manual, coupe<br>: +'s : m3...nuff said<br>: -'s : 40,000 miles, probably been driven hard for four years<p>: 2nd choice: '96 or '97 328is manual, coupe <br>: +'s : lower mileage, still under warranty<br>: -'s : fairly expensive b/c of high resale value, used.<p>: 3rd choice: '99 323 w/ sport pack, manual, sedan<br>: +'s : NEW, e46 body will look 'new' for many years<br>: -'s : weaker engine, SEDAN (not good)<p>: Overall, i'm not concerned about resale value b/c I plan to keep the car for a while. Which is why the M3 maintenance years down the road might cost too much...not sure.<br>: But, I do prefer the M3 body over the E46. Maybe i could add the aero kit to the 328is..<br>: All three are around the same price range.<p>: I'd love to hear your opinion..thanks so much <p></i> : you can't compare an M3 with a 328 or 323 : the philosophy of a M3 is completely different : you'll have crazy power but perhaps be bored of motor noise in long trips. Do you want normal driving or full power but less comfortable ??

Ky
01-24-1999, 04:21 AM
maintenance will cost you less in the long run since you plan on owning the car for a while. You mentioned the body will look new for many years which I think is a big plus.

Ky
01-24-1999, 04:21 AM
maintenance will cost you less in the long run since you plan on owning the car for a while. You mentioned the body will look new for many years which I think is a big plus.

MB
01-24-1999, 10:18 AM
I plan on keeping my bimmer for a while, too. I am thiniking about 8-10 years(I like to get my moneys worth!). The BMW model run is usually 6-7 years, so this car will only be "The old model" for about 2 years. I couldn't picture having an E36 8 or 9 years after they stopped making them!<p><i>: (also in E36 board...sorry)<p>: For a little while, i've been racking my brains over my car decision. Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated!<p>: 1st choice: '95 M3 manual, coupe<br>: +'s : m3...nuff said<br>: -'s : 40,000 miles, probably been driven hard for four years<p>: 2nd choice: '96 or '97 328is manual, coupe <br>: +'s : lower mileage, still under warranty<br>: -'s : fairly expensive b/c of high resale value, used.<p>: 3rd choice: '99 323 w/ sport pack, manual, sedan<br>: +'s : NEW, e46 body will look 'new' for many years<br>: -'s : weaker engine, SEDAN (not good)<p>: Overall, i'm not concerned about resale value b/c I plan to keep the car for a while. Which is why the M3 maintenance years down the road might cost too much...not sure.<br>: But, I do prefer the M3 body over the E46. Maybe i could add the aero kit to the 328is..<br>: All three are around the same price range.<p>: I'd love to hear your opinion..thanks so much <p></i>

spons
01-24-1999, 11:15 AM
Here's what you'll spend on either the used M3 or used 328is in the next year and a half or so that you would not spend on the new 323i.<p>Tires - $500<br>Brake Pads & Rotors - $300 if you do it yourself<br>Schedule I Service - $400<br>Schedule II Service - $600<br>Total - $1800<p>That's an average of $100 per month MORE that either used BMW will cost you. You could take that $100 and put it toward a new 328i instead.

John W
01-24-1999, 11:41 AM
I was in a similar boat (situation metaphor, not a car one). Was looking at used 328i, older M3 (would love to have found a sedan),or new 328i.<br>Down side for new 328i is softer suspension (even sport) than previous (will likely look at aftermarket improvement). Body uninspired, my ditto to the auto press. Tunes suck too, but even a very good car like the '99 will take some work to be just right.<br>Up side is optimism for new mechanical design improvements (less unsprung mass, better reliability), better attention to interior, but mostly GLASS SUNROOF. It may seem trivial, but important to me. The final push was $1000 rebate from BMW for BMW CCA members (must be in CCA for one year). Used BMW's (from dealer) yield $500.<p>In the end, the yea's have it. Go for the new 323(8) and let the sun shine in.<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index