Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jimg
01-24-1999, 04:36 AM
<br>Closing the door on my 323 does not sound like a nice "chunk". The side mirror vibrates from the force of the door closing and it sounds like sh*t. Anyone with the same complaint and how do you fix it ? <p>Jimg<br>

Mike
01-24-1999, 05:17 AM
I noticed the same thing when I was comparison shopping the A4, the C230 Kompressor and the 323i.<br>The 323i door slam sounded a little Japanese and no where near as nice as the C230. It didn't bother me too much because the solid "chunk" is from the double door seal Mercedes uses. Also, I'm guessing the new side-impact door anchoring system eliminated the need for heavy-duty door latches like Mercedes and the old E36. This probably also contributes to a weaker door slam sound. The E46, being new, is still a stiffer platform than the aging C-Class and BMW claims crash worthiness is equivalent to the 5-series. So I take comfort in that, even if the door sounds weak.

Jimg
01-24-1999, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback..<p>:If I hold the glass section of the mirror when I close the door, it sounds solid. The problem has to do with the mirror’s rigidity (glass section support structure) and damping. The car in the show room was fine, and the salesman said "close that door and listen to the quality".<p>I think my expectation are on target considering the price tag and the BMW quality hype. No ? <p> <br>

John
01-24-1999, 12:12 PM
<i>: <br>: Closing the door on my 323 does not sound like a nice "chunk". The side mirror vibrates from the force of the door closing and it sounds like sh*t. Anyone with the same complaint and how do you fix it ? <p>: Jimg<p></i><p>Without actually hearing the sound, I can't comment other than to say I don't hear anything out of the ordinary when closing the doors on my 323i. So, you may actually have a warranty service item here.<p>But if you are complaining about the lack of that satisfying "CHOONK" when closing the doors on your car, you should realize it has virtually nothing to do with the quality of the car. The most satisfying sound I ever heard from a car door closure was on my '59 Pontiac Bonneville convertible. Of course, that was in the showroom. After 20K miles, the sound wasn't quite so satisfying--especially when driving it!<p>GM, at that time, spent an inordinate amount of expense and engineering effort in order to create that sound--in the showroom. Why? Because it sold cars. Has about as much to do with the quality of a car as the sound you get when you kick the tires. But door sound did sell cars.<p>I would be much more concerned about the little irritating squeaks, rattles and thumps I hear when I drive a car. I have driven my 323i nearly 7,000 miles, much of it in frigid weather which tends to bring out some of those dreaded sounds. I have yet to hear anything other than the vault-like solidity I experienced when I first drove it last September.

Jimg
01-24-1999, 06:51 PM
Good point John, and thanks for the input, and indeed it does have a "vault-like" solidity when I drive.<br>Jimg<p>: : Jimg<p><br>

Sean
01-25-1999, 02:07 AM
<br>: <br>: Closing the door on my 323 does not sound like a nice "chunk". The side mirror vibrates from the force of the door closing and it sounds like sh*t. Anyone with the same complaint and how do you fix it ? <p>: Jimg<p>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index