Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Mike
01-24-1999, 02:48 PM
I'm interested in a 328i but I'm concerned about first year production cars. Although the E46 borrows many components from the E36, I still remember hearing many first year E36 owners complain about bugs that were later worked out a couple years later. Are there any current E46 owners that have experienced first year production issues? And how proactive is BMW in addressing these issues? I was looking at an A4 since it's on its third year and many of the initial bugs have been fixed, but I'm a big fan of the new 328i.

BDA
01-24-1999, 06:06 PM
<i>: I'm interested in a 328i but I'm concerned about first year production cars.<br></i><p>Well, there may be some that will show up later, but a quick scan of this board will reveal remarkably few complaints from those of us lucky enough to already have ours. 1700+ miles and absolutely NOTHING to complain about. This car is wonderful! (323i).<p>BDA

Glenn
01-24-1999, 07:39 PM
Some minor annoyances:<p>Take a close look at the gap between the bumper cover and the sheet metal above it just behind the rear wheel wells. A car as expensive as a BMW shouldn't look this sloppy. <p>Interference (from the alternator?) heard when listening to the AM radio. I hear it most at low speeds (i.e. 25 MPH in second gear). In my car it's not very loud, but it shouldn't be there.<p>Although distortion is not apparent at low and moderate listening levels, the tonal balance of the stock audio system is not very good. Even the cheap system in my Jetta sounds better (Blaupunkt Chicago head unit, Blaupunkt amplifier and stock speakers); it is more transparent and has balanced bass, midrange and treble.<p>Glenn<p><i>: I'm interested in a 328i but I'm concerned about first year production cars. Although the E46 borrows many components from the E36, I still remember hearing many first year E36 owners complain about bugs that were later worked out a couple years later. Are there any current E46 owners that have experienced first year production issues? And how proactive is BMW in addressing these issues? I was looking at an A4 since it's on its third year and many of the initial bugs have been fixed, but I'm a big fan of the new 328i.<p></i>

Barry
01-24-1999, 11:08 PM
your right about the stereo...my '97 Jetta GLX's stereo sounded much, much better that the stock stereo in my 323.<p><i>: Some minor annoyances:<p>: Take a close look at the gap between the bumper cover and the sheet metal above it just behind the rear wheel wells. A car as expensive as a BMW shouldn't look this sloppy. <p>: Interference (from the alternator?) heard when listening to the AM radio. I hear it most at low speeds (i.e. 25 MPH in second gear). In my car it's not very loud, but it shouldn't be there.<p>: Although distortion is not apparent at low and moderate listening levels, the tonal balance of the stock audio system is not very good. Even the cheap system in my Jetta sounds better (Blaupunkt Chicago head unit, Blaupunkt amplifier and stock speakers); it is more transparent and has balanced bass, midrange and treble.<p>: Glenn<p>: : I'm interested in a 328i but I'm concerned about first year production cars. Although the E46 borrows many components from the E36, I still remember hearing many first year E36 owners complain about bugs that were later worked out a couple years later. Are there any current E46 owners that have experienced first year production issues? And how proactive is BMW in addressing these issues? I was looking at an A4 since it's on its third year and many of the initial bugs have been fixed, but I'm a big fan of the new 328i.<p></i>

Jim
01-25-1999, 11:42 AM
1600 miles with no problems, the car just keeps feeling better and better! Yes the stock stereo is not good, but I did not buy this car for the stereo (but I am in the process of upgrading it).

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index