Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

John B Hopper IV
01-25-1999, 05:46 PM
I pay $36000 for a car and it doesn't even have vanity lights or a remote gas lid opener? I live in jersey and it completely sucks that every time I want gas I have to tell the guy how to opne my cap, and mosty of the time they can't close it right! Sorry but this is petty cheapness, what? $50 for a wire release and another $100 for lights-at most, don't cheap out on us 3-series owners BMW.<br>Does the 328 have a remote release, I know it has the lights....<p>sorry had to vent

Ino
01-25-1999, 06:27 PM
There is no excuse especially if you are paying for it and don't give issues of safety! How much safety can you have in a vert????<p>Ino

Chris
01-25-1999, 07:36 PM
<i>: There is no excuse especially if you are paying for it and don't give issues of safety! How much safety can you have in a vert????<p>: Ino<p></i> I can't believe that BMW doesn't include a lousy set of floor mats as standard equipment since everyone needs them anyway. Fortunately, I went to a classy dealer who automatically throws them in.

Kevin
01-25-1999, 08:16 PM
What the hell is wrong with BMW? They give a 328i a rear trunk button release but not the 323i??? A freakin Yugo probably had one at $4000. No excuse for my 323i not to have a trunk release button (or even a pull handle) for the trunk. Talk about cheap !!!<p>Love my car, but hate the BMW of screwing with you on gimmes such as the ones mentioned by John and others. Gotta give to the Japanese on these things. They do not leave out any things. For God's sake, they give you alloys on a Honda Civic EX, with vanity lights, gas cap release lever, cruise control, not to mention not charging extra for folding seats and metallic paint.<p>Shame on you BMW !!! You are making the TL a very uneasy afterthought having I bought my 323i more than 2 months ago. I love this car but I gotta vent like you guys too !!! <p>Kevin Jessup<br>99 323i premium, steel blue/gray <br>3000 miles and racking up !!!

FS
01-25-1999, 08:28 PM
<i>: I pay $36000 for a car and it doesn't even have vanity lights or a remote gas lid opener? I live in jersey and it completely sucks that every time I want gas I have to tell the guy how to opne my cap, and mosty of the time they can't close it right! Sorry but this is petty cheapness, what? $50 for a wire release and another $100 for lights-at most, don't cheap out on us 3-series owners BMW.<br>: Does the 328 have a remote release, I know it has the lights....<p>: sorry had to vent<p></i>

since 1991? FS
01-25-1999, 08:29 PM
<i>: What the hell is wrong with BMW? They give a 328i a rear trunk button release but not the 323i??? A freakin Yugo probably had one at $4000. No excuse for my 323i not to have a trunk release button (or even a pull handle) for the trunk. Talk about cheap !!!<p>: Love my car, but hate the BMW of screwing with you on gimmes such as the ones mentioned by John and others. Gotta give to the Japanese on these things. They do not leave out any things. For God's sake, they give you alloys on a Honda Civic EX, with vanity lights, gas cap release lever, cruise control, not to mention not charging extra for folding seats and metallic paint.<p>: Shame on you BMW !!! You are making the TL a very uneasy afterthought having I bought my 323i more than 2 months ago. I love this car but I gotta vent like you guys too !!! <p>: Kevin Jessup<br>: 99 323i premium, steel blue/gray <br>: 3000 miles and racking up !!!<p></i>

Kevin
01-25-1999, 08:40 PM
Somehow, I find that unexcusable. If you are buying a 323i, you will see how much a pain in the *** that is, especially when you have to pop your trunk open every day a few times. I am in sales and my co-workers were wondering why the car is missing such a vital thing. I was dumbfounded for words. <p>You tell me.<p>Kevin

Marc W
01-25-1999, 09:05 PM
<i>: Somehow, I find that unexcusable. If you are buying a 323i, you will see how much a pain in the *** that is, especially when you have to pop your trunk open every day a few times. I am in sales and my co-workers were wondering why the car is missing such a vital thing. I was dumbfounded for words. <p>: You tell me.<p>: Kevin<p></i><p>I'm hearing all this complaining and bitching about the car not having this and missing that well let me tell you something guys. Being a german and having lived there for 24 years I can tell you that you guys are all spoiled rotten when it comes to optional equipment. In Germany they make you pay extra for every button you can push. You want cruise control yeah you better grab deep in your pocket for that one. What did you say ? You want air conditioning well that'll be 2000DM extra and it goes on and on and on. And the new 3 series isn't exactly cheap over there either. A new 323i without any options is currently 56.800 DM which is equivalent to about 31500 US Dollars!! So stop all your whining and moaning. If a trunk release is soooo important to everybody buy a Lexus or any of those other japanese cars. I for my self put much more emphasis on the engine than on some gimmicks like a trunk release.<p>Sorry had to vent grrrr<p>Marc

Kevin
01-25-1999, 09:17 PM
I suppose I AM comparing my car to the Japanese rivals that even give you the leather, moonroof, and nice alloys all included in the standard features. I suppose Merdeces also does this optional this, and optional that with the C230K, with the alloys being thrown in on the house. I looked into the C Class, but was just not that excited when I drove it. Boooooooring ! Hell, I LOVE the way my car drives! It is just the little things that bug me. Oh well, I will use my car's own key to open the trunk. No biggie!<p>KJ<br>99 323i premium, steel blue with gray

Ali B
01-25-1999, 09:28 PM
That doesn't sound like a tough thing to do. If they gave you more for less money, that would be an accomplishment. Take out cruise control, alloy wheels, fog lights, vanity mirror lights, remote trunk release, etc. and charge extra for every little thing (floor mats, folding rear seats, center armrest, metallic paint, etc.) So that's the secret to this car being the most inexpensive 6-cylinder BMW since 1991!<br>

Mike
01-25-1999, 10:22 PM
which is considered by most as a safety item. All I can say is you get what you paid for and you should have researched more before you bought your car. The 3-series comes with features that cost extra in other cars or that are not available at all on other cars. Features like a head airbag, four-wheel ventilated brakes, car/key memory, corner brake control (poor man's ESP/DSC3), free maintenance, etc... <p>You can't have it all for only $26K (that's almost Camry and Accord V6 price territory for a prestigous marque like BMW). Also Toyota is just as bad as BMW in terms of cheapness and their cars can cost just as much, if not more. Any way, Consumer Reports just rated the 323i higher than your TL, A4 1.8T, and 9-3. Don't worry, be happy.

joe
01-25-1999, 10:29 PM
<i>: I pay $36000 for a car and it doesn't even have vanity lights or a remote gas lid opener? I live in jersey and it completely sucks that every time I want gas I have to tell the guy how to opne my cap, and mosty of the time they can't close it right! Sorry but this is petty cheapness, what? $50 for a wire release and another $100 for lights-at most, don't cheap out on us 3-series owners BMW.<br>: Does the 328 have a remote release, I know it has the lights....<p>: sorry had to vent<p></i> the only 3 series i know of with remote releases are the ones sold in the middle east. but that is just so you can still gas up or unload the trunk in the middle of heavy artillery fire. real bmw drivers gas their own cars. i don't want to take the chance of some uninformed but well intended station attendant filling me up with 87 octane, or even worse, dripping gas all down my fresh wax job. woops.....please disregard the previous tirade....i thought i was still on the M page......

Jeff B.
01-25-1999, 10:38 PM
<i>: I suppose I AM comparing my car to the Japanese rivals that even give you the leather, moonroof, and nice alloys all included in the standard features. I suppose Merdeces also does this optional this, and optional that with the C230K, with the alloys being thrown in on the house. I looked into the C Class, but was just not that excited when I drove it. Boooooooring ! Hell, I LOVE the way my car drives! It is just the little things that bug me. Oh well, I will use my car's own key to open the trunk. No biggie!<p>: KJ<br>: 99 323i premium, steel blue with gray<p></i><br>I have a 328, and you can open the trunk from the back of the car by pushing up on the rubber area above the license plate on the trunk, so long as the door is unlocked. I know this is not a remote release from inside, but can you also do this on the 323? I was just curious b/c I have seen several posts on the trunk release question.

joe
01-25-1999, 10:43 PM
<i>: What the hell is wrong with BMW? They give a 328i a rear trunk button release but not the 323i??? A freakin Yugo probably had one at $4000. No excuse for my 323i not to have a trunk release button (or even a pull handle) for the trunk. Talk about cheap !!!<p>: Love my car, but hate the BMW of screwing with you on gimmes such as the ones mentioned by John and others. Gotta give to the Japanese on these things. They do not leave out any things. For God's sake, they give you alloys on a Honda Civic EX, with vanity lights, gas cap release lever, cruise control, not to mention not charging extra for folding seats and metallic paint.<p>: Shame on you BMW !!! You are making the TL a very uneasy afterthought having I bought my 323i more than 2 months ago. I love this car but I gotta vent like you guys too !!! <p>: Kevin Jessup<br>: 99 323i premium, steel blue/gray <br>: 3000 miles and racking up !!!<p></i>alright.....alright....please read and pass along......i have seen BMW NA gravitate towards the middle of the road in name of sales long enough. in the good old days, BMW's were a blast to drive. they were loud, you could feel the road through the steering wheel and life was good. if you guys want life's little conveniences please, please buy japanese. i, for one, do not want a remote trunk release. i do not want a remote gas release. the only reomote i want is a remote country road to enjoy my driving machine. boy....this page is depressing.

Mike
01-25-1999, 10:53 PM
BMW called it the console valet and wanted $300 for it. $575 for fold-down seats is starting to look attractive.<p><br><i>: I pay $36000 for a car and it doesn't even have vanity lights or a remote gas lid opener? I live in jersey and it completely sucks that every time I want gas I have to tell the guy how to opne my cap, and mosty of the time they can't close it right! Sorry but this is petty cheapness, what? $50 for a wire release and another $100 for lights-at most, don't cheap out on us 3-series owners BMW.<br>: Does the 328 have a remote release, I know it has the lights....<p>: sorry had to vent<p></i>

Rich3
01-26-1999, 12:51 AM
<i>: I am in sales and my co-workers were wondering why the car is missing such a vital thing. I was dumbfounded for words. <br></i><p>Have you tried pressing the trunk release button<br>on the key remote while it's still in the ignition?<br><P><p>I haven't tried this myself, but I'm going to do<br>so next time I drive my 323i. If it works, then<br>there's no need for a trunk release - it's in the<br>key!

Kevin
01-26-1999, 12:54 AM
No dice.<p>KJ

Allen Skees
01-26-1999, 09:44 AM
Why is a remote trunk release necessary? When are you ever going to pop the trunk of your car and not go to the trunk? Once you are standing in front of the trunk, why is it so hard to press the release?<p>Maybe the 323 is different, but my M3 has two trunk release positions. In the vertical position, the trunk can be opened whenever the doors are unlocked (I leave mine in this mode). In the horizontal position, you have to insert the key to open the trunk.<p>Combined with keyless entry, I have no problems with the above arrangement. I wouldn't even use a remove release if it was provided. I'm actually glad that I don't have to look at a cheap plastic lever by the drivers seat (ala Honda).<p>Just my opinion...<p>--<br>Allen Skees<br>'98 M3<p><i>: I pay $36000 for a car and it doesn't even have vanity lights or a remote gas lid opener? I live in jersey and it completely sucks that every time I want gas I have to tell the guy how to opne my cap, and mosty of the time they can't close it right! Sorry but this is petty cheapness, what? $50 for a wire release and another $100 for lights-at most, don't cheap out on us 3-series owners BMW.<br>: Does the 328 have a remote release, I know it has the lights....<p>: sorry had to vent<p></i>

Peter E
01-26-1999, 11:05 AM
Yes, you can do this on the 323 as well. Quite frankly, I'm not sure why so many are so bent about the remote trunk release thing. Central locking locks and unlocks the latch and the trunk can be opened then by pressing the remote trunk release lever above the license plate. Geez, you'd have to touch the trunk lid eventually anyway, wouldn't you?<p><p><i>: : I suppose I AM comparing my car to the Japanese rivals that even give you the leather, moonroof, and nice alloys all included in the standard features. I suppose Merdeces also does this optional this, and optional that with the C230K, with the alloys being thrown in on the house. I looked into the C Class, but was just not that excited when I drove it. Boooooooring ! Hell, I LOVE the way my car drives! It is just the little things that bug me. Oh well, I will use my car's own key to open the trunk. No biggie!<p>: : KJ<br>: : 99 323i premium, steel blue with gray<p>: <br>: I have a 328, and you can open the trunk from the back of the car by pushing up on the rubber area above the license plate on the trunk, so long as the door is unlocked. I know this is not a remote release from inside, but can you also do this on the 323? I was just curious b/c I have seen several posts on the trunk release question.<p></i>

Leif
01-26-1999, 11:48 AM
Marc is absoultly right. <br>In Sweden where I live you have to pay extra for vanity mirror lights and it only comes with auto-dim mirror $315 in both the 328i and 528i. Everything is optional. Aircondition ?? it will add $3000. Leather? it will add $3000 as well.<br>A 328 with nothing except alloy wheels not even Aircondition costs about $41000. Do you want a 528i Sport with the same options you get in the US?? Sure, itīs "only" costs $58500!!. The new M5:s is about $87000. A base E46 318i yes the one with a 118hp 4-cyl engine is almost $30000.<br>So you guys should be glad you live in the US.<br>

FS
01-26-1999, 04:23 PM
<i>: Marc is absoultly right. <br>: In Sweden where I live you have to pay extra for vanity mirror lights and it only comes with auto-dim mirror $315 in both the 328i and 528i. Everything is optional. Aircondition ?? it will add $3000. Leather? it will add $3000 as well.<br>: A 328 with nothing except alloy wheels not even Aircondition costs about $41000. Do you want a 528i Sport with the same options you get in the US?? Sure, itīs "only" costs $58500!!. The new M5:s is about $87000. A base E46 318i yes the one with a 118hp 4-cyl engine is almost $30000.<br>: So you guys should be glad you live in the US.<p></i>

John B Hopper IV
01-26-1999, 05:59 PM
I'm not complaining about the trunk release, I could care less about that, it's the <i>gas</i> tank I hate not having a release for, in NJ you can't pump your own gas, so....it sucks cus the gas jockies don't know they have to push it, I guess they think a bimmmer wouldn't be without that "luxury"<p><i>: Why is a remote trunk release necessary? When are you ever going to pop the trunk of your car and not go to the trunk? Once you are standing in front of the trunk, why is it so hard to press the release?<p>: Maybe the 323 is different, but my M3 has two trunk release positions. In the vertical position, the trunk can be opened whenever the doors are unlocked (I leave mine in this mode). In the horizontal position, you have to insert the key to open the trunk.<p>: Combined with keyless entry, I have no problems with the above arrangement. I wouldn't even use a remove release if it was provided. I'm actually glad that I don't have to look at a cheap plastic lever by the drivers seat (ala Honda).<p>: Just my opinion...<p>: --<br>: Allen Skees<br>: '98 M3<p>: : I pay $36000 for a car and it doesn't even have vanity lights or a remote gas lid opener? I live in jersey and it completely sucks that every time I want gas I have to tell the guy how to opne my cap, and mosty of the time they can't close it right! Sorry but this is petty cheapness, what? $50 for a wire release and another $100 for lights-at most, don't cheap out on us 3-series owners BMW.<br>: : Does the 328 have a remote release, I know it has the lights....<p>: : sorry had to vent<p></i>

John B Hopper IV
01-26-1999, 06:03 PM
beside NJ that is...

ct
01-26-1999, 06:12 PM
<i>: beside NJ that is...<p><br></i>

Rob
01-26-1999, 09:31 PM
You've got to be kidding!!!! Is that after taxes?

John B Hopper IV
01-26-1999, 10:50 PM
yup, after everything, more like $34,600 after looking at my papers, I was just using my bad, bad memory. It also includes the CD changer at full price...<p><i>: You've got to be kidding!!!! Is that after taxes?<p></i>

Mike
01-27-1999, 12:47 AM
<Does anyone know anything regarding the compatibility between an 87 325i and 325 e transmission. I just found out that a 325i was placed in my car and the sensor to the flywheel is not being read properly as the trans. housing was drilled. I paid big $$$ for the job and I need to "goods" to show that this was a clear "blow it" from the shop. Any ideas how I can prove that there is a compatibility issue? Remember, I will need to convince a lay person as in a judge in small claims!

Steve
01-27-1999, 10:44 AM
<i>: beside NJ that is...<p></i>

Allen Skees
01-27-1999, 10:44 AM
That would drive me nuts! I'd get out of the car and check the cap every time. Not to mention the threat of careless losers dripping gas on the paint!<p>--<br>Allen<p><i>: I'm not complaining about the trunk release, I could care less about that, it's the gas tank I hate not having a release for, in NJ you can't pump your own gas, so....it sucks cus the gas jockies don't know they have to push it, I guess they think a bimmmer wouldn't be without that "luxury"<p>: : Why is a remote trunk release necessary? When are you ever going to pop the trunk of your car and not go to the trunk? Once you are standing in front of the trunk, why is it so hard to press the release?<p>: : Maybe the 323 is different, but my M3 has two trunk release positions. In the vertical position, the trunk can be opened whenever the doors are unlocked (I leave mine in this mode). In the horizontal position, you have to insert the key to open the trunk.<p>: : Combined with keyless entry, I have no problems with the above arrangement. I wouldn't even use a remove release if it was provided. I'm actually glad that I don't have to look at a cheap plastic lever by the drivers seat (ala Honda).<p>: : Just my opinion...<p>: : --<br>: : Allen Skees<br>: : '98 M3<p>: : : I pay $36000 for a car and it doesn't even have vanity lights or a remote gas lid opener? I live in jersey and it completely sucks that every time I want gas I have to tell the guy how to opne my cap, and mosty of the time they can't close it right! Sorry but this is petty cheapness, what? $50 for a wire release and another $100 for lights-at most, don't cheap out on us 3-series owners BMW.<br>: : : Does the 328 have a remote release, I know it has the lights....<p>: : : sorry had to vent<p></i>

Bonman
01-27-1999, 12:35 PM
No remote release necessary. Just lift up on the middle of the plastic molding and viola the trunk is open

Andy Chi
01-27-1999, 04:11 PM
Marc,<p>Believe it or not, not everyone in the U.S. is spoiled rotten. I TRIED ordering my fake M3 with the following:<p>No armrest<br>No cruise control<br>No cupholders<br>Non smoking package<br>Manual windows<br>No rear headrest (I pulled it out after the fact)<br>No HK stereo rip-off piece of ****<br>Forged alloy wheels<br>Sunroof<br>OBC<p>At first the dealers thought I was crazy and wouldn't even TRY talking to BMW about it. Then finally I enlighten them to the BMW individual program. They came back and told me, "that'll be three month waiting time." So I got one with OBC, sunroof, and the expensive ****ty HK stereo which I RARELY use and still had to wait close to two month.<p>I HATE cupholders, and that armrest gets in my way when shifting. BMW should realize not all Americans are lazy and spoiled and drink/eat in the car.<p>Besides, a real M3 stripped (the way I want it) can be had for less than $48000 pre-VAT, yes?<p>Andy<p>98 U.S. M3 coupe black/black

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index