Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Joe
01-25-1999, 10:03 PM
I had the pleasure of driving a friends 99 328i yesterday ( I have a Z3) There were two thngs that seemed wrong with the car and I was wondering if anyone else encountered these. First is the defroster. It's only fan speed is high. If you push the button to lower it, she shuts off. Is this the way it's supposed to work?<br>The second problem is the engine light, my friend has had it back to the dealer three times so far. The dealer blamed it on an improperly tightened gas cap. Isn't that supposed to reset after 20 or thirty start ups? The damned light just stays on constantly.Your opinions are appreciated.

Gilbert
01-26-1999, 09:03 AM
According to my dealer, the defogger is supposed to work like that. (It's called an 'instant defogger' or something like that.) Haven't gotten mine yet to play with but I think that's it's only setting.<p>As far as the other problem... The car I test drove (one of the dealer managers' 328's) had the check engine light on. I asked the saleman what it was about. He said it was the fuel filler cap, but didn't give me the reset info. So I guess it's true that an untighten fuel filler cap makes the CE light go on. As far as resetting it, it seems you have more info.

BDA
01-26-1999, 11:26 AM
<i>: First is the defroster. It's only fan speed is high. If you push the button to lower it, she shuts off. Is this the way it's supposed to work?<br></i><p>The "instant defrost" button works as you describe, as far as I can tell, but there is also another set of buttons, in a column on the left, that permit you to direct air up (at windows), at you (vents) or down (floor). Those don't interfere with fan speed control. <p>BDA

JimM
01-26-1999, 07:24 PM
<br>I was told by my dealer when I picked up the car ('99-328i) two weeks ago that if I filled the gas tank with the engine running, the check engine light would come on, stay on, and that I would have to return to the dealership to have the light reset. He was VERY specific in his warning and explained why it happens (made sense at the time). I traded in a '95-E36, filled the gas tank with the engine running (risky--I know, I know already) and never had a problem.<p>Sounds like another BMW mystery, like the rough idle after washing the car. Always happened after you started your car, backed it out of the garage and washed the car. It was tough to start after done washing and idled miserably, if at all. I solved the problem by letting the car idle for a few minutes before washing and drove it after. Never had the problem again.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index