Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Seamus Hartmann
01-26-1999, 12:35 PM
Ok. Just curious as to what the heck these things are....<p>1) the little led next to the exterior lights switch.<p>2) the delete panel on the passenger side door handle (looks like a delete panel for a power window on a honda....)<p>Anyone? Peter (my dealer) doesn't seem to know......<p>Seamus

Lorenz
01-26-1999, 01:29 PM
<i>: Ok. Just curious as to what the heck these things are....<p>: 1) the little led next to the exterior lights switch.<p></i><p>No clue here...<p><i><br>: 2) the delete panel on the passenger side door handle (looks like a delete panel for a power window on a honda....)<br></i><p>Is it symmetric with the power mirror controls on the driver's side? If so, it could be that this is where the mirror controls go on Right-hand drive models, which would have the delete panel where you have your controls... BMW actually manufactures Left-hand drive and Right-hand drive cars on the same production line, and it's more efficient to use the same part for both versions.<p>Just a guess, though.<br>

Seamus Hartmann
01-26-1999, 01:31 PM
that's all to the message...

John
01-26-1999, 01:33 PM
one out. I guess some people are slower than others. No flame intended.

Seamus Hartmann
01-26-1999, 01:44 PM
<i>: one out. I guess some people are slower than others. No flame intended.<p></i><p>Ok. No problem. But what does that little Diode do?<p>Seamus

JamesM
01-26-1999, 02:04 PM
<i>: Ok. Just curious as to what the heck these things are....<p>: 1) the little led next to the exterior lights switch.<br></i><p>That's actually not an LED, it's a photovoltaic sensor. If you turn your headlights on during the day, the lighting on the interior display will be much brighter than at night. You can see this yourself: Turn the lights on during the day and turn the interior brightness up to about 3/4's of maximum. Then use your thumb to cover that little hole and watch the lights dim!

BM-deW
01-26-1999, 02:31 PM
<i>: Ok. Just curious as to what the heck these things are....<p>: 1) the little led next to the exterior lights switch.<p><p>I believe the LED (if were talking about the same thing) is a light sensor. <p>If there is low light, the dash lights for the exterior light panel will go on. This is to help you find the light switch in dark areas, when ALL other lights are off. I think it gets activated when the drivers door is opened thus the key does not need to be in the ignition. <p> <p><br>

FS
01-26-1999, 03:35 PM
<i>: Ok. Just curious as to what the heck these things are....<p>: 1) the little led next to the exterior lights switch.<p>: 2) the delete panel on the passenger side door handle (looks like a delete panel for a power window on a honda....)</i><p><b>This is where the mirror controls go for the British models. Only the passenger door has no mechanism to be placed there. The rear doors have window switches, the driver gets the power mirrors. In England, there passenger door(Our drivers door) also has that empty spot. That way they don't have to make two totally diffent doors for left and right drive cars, they just remove that empty filler piece. Another cost cutting feature by BMW</b><p><i>: Anyone? Peter (my dealer) doesn't seem to know......<p>: Seamus<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index