Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Steve
01-26-1999, 01:18 PM
I've read a lot about the quality of paint on recently built BMWs (98-99). Some say it's less resistant to chips and nicks than older bimmers or other cars of equal caliber. I've read a lot of discussion in the Z3, M3 and E39 areas and I'd like to know what's your experience. I recently had a stone hit the front of my 98 E36 (winter driving) and after a close inspection I noticed (using a magnifying glass) it didn't go completely through the paint (no primer showing)--it just kind-of marred the finish. Almost as if the paint is soft and not brittle. I'm not sure if there is a difference between German and US built cars, but this post may provide some reference.<p>Steve<br>98 E36 (too new to evaluate)

Seamus Hartmann
01-26-1999, 01:37 PM
Steve,<p>I've heard the very same information. I have also heard that the paint is actually an electroplated powdercoating that is very resistant to all sorts of problems. Anyone else know anything about this?<p>Seamus

jesse
01-26-1999, 05:42 PM
I believe the basic process involves the electrostatic attraction of powder to the frame, followed by a bake or fusing process (similar to photo/electostatic copying). However that is only one of the ten or so coatings applied by the germans. I believe chip resistance and resistance to environmental factors (acidic bird droppings, tars, etc) comes from the selection and addition of the several other coats. Some models of hondas recieve 35 diffent coats comprising the finish.

John
01-27-1999, 08:14 AM
<i>: I believe the basic process involves the electrostatic attraction of powder to the frame, followed by a bake or fusing process (similar to photo/electostatic copying). However that is only one of the ten or so coatings applied by the germans. I believe chip resistance and resistance to environmental factors (acidic bird droppings, tars, etc) comes from the selection and addition of the several other coats. Some models of hondas recieve 35 diffent coats comprising the finish. <p></i><p>That's the most ridiculous assertion I've ever heard about factory paint. Please provide your reference. Even if it were true (trust me, it isn't) what is the benefit? Do you think that when you take it to a body shop to repaint a panel they will also give the part 35 coats of paint so it will be "equal" to the OEM finish!<p>Not just BS--utter CRAP!

jesse
01-30-1999, 06:20 PM
industry mag, about two years ago. i will check reference and get back to you. but thanks for your support in the meantime.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index