Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Ali B
01-27-1999, 12:37 AM
This weird comparison test is in the latest issue of Motor Trend available on the newstands right now. They tested a 5-speed manual 328i sport against the 4-cylinder automatic C230K (no sport package). I could see a C280 Sport comparison as being more fair to Mercedes since the C230K is several grand cheaper than an automatic 328i. I guess I don't see the two cars tested competing for the same type of buyer.<p>Anyway, I just browsed the article. They had all great things to say about the 328i. the only negative mentioned was that the interior is still rather cold and business-like (test car had gray leather with aluminum trim). The C230 has much more power and zip compared to previous years, but the powertrain needs more refinement. <p>The measured 0-60 times were 6.9 seonds for the 328i and 7.6 seconds for the C230 Kompressor.

Mr. 6.5 tick
01-27-1999, 04:29 AM
<i>: This weird comparison test is in the latest issue of Motor Trend available on the newstands right now. They tested a 5-speed manual 328i sport against the 4-cylinder automatic C230K (no sport package). I could see a C280 Sport comparison as being more fair to Mercedes since the C230K is several grand cheaper than an automatic 328i. I guess I don't see the two cars tested competing for the same type of buyer.<p>: Anyway, I just browsed the article. They had all great things to say about the 328i. the only negative mentioned was that the interior is still rather cold and business-like (test car had gray leather with aluminum trim). The C230 has much more power and zip compared to previous years, but the powertrain needs more refinement. <p>: The measured 0-60 times were 6.9 seonds for the 328i and 7.6 seconds for the C230 Kompressor. <p></i>6.9 sec? they must got a slow stopwatch...<p>Mr. 6.5'<br>

rt10
01-27-1999, 08:32 AM
Isn't automatic Kompressor faster than the stick one... or am I confusing the models here...<p><i>: This weird comparison test is in the latest issue of Motor Trend available on the newstands right now. They tested a 5-speed manual 328i sport against the 4-cylinder automatic C230K (no sport package). I could see a C280 Sport comparison as being more fair to Mercedes since the C230K is several grand cheaper than an automatic 328i. I guess I don't see the two cars tested competing for the same type of buyer.<p>: Anyway, I just browsed the article. They had all great things to say about the 328i. the only negative mentioned was that the interior is still rather cold and business-like (test car had gray leather with aluminum trim). The C230 has much more power and zip compared to previous years, but the powertrain needs more refinement. <p>: The measured 0-60 times were 6.9 seonds for the 328i and 7.6 seconds for the C230 Kompressor. <p></i>

Gilbert
01-27-1999, 08:59 AM
The German magazine compared the c280 (or c230, I don't remember, and don't have the article handy.), 328, and A4. The c280 is faster than the c230Kompressor. And, of course, both Mercedes cars come with manual transmission in Europe. I consider the Mercedes until I realized that it didn't come with a manual tranny, and was too slow. (I recently sat in one too, and didn't think it was as comfortable either.)<p>You can probably get a reprint of the article at your local BMW dealer. (That's where I got mine.)<br>Needless to say, the BMW won overall in the comparison.

John
01-27-1999, 11:36 AM
<i>: : This weird comparison test is in the latest issue of Motor Trend available on the newstands right now. They tested a 5-speed manual 328i sport against the 4-cylinder automatic C230K (no sport package). I could see a C280 Sport comparison as being more fair to Mercedes since the C230K is several grand cheaper than an automatic 328i. I guess I don't see the two cars tested competing for the same type of buyer.<p>: : Anyway, I just browsed the article. They had all great things to say about the 328i. the only negative mentioned was that the interior is still rather cold and business-like (test car had gray leather with aluminum trim). The C230 has much more power and zip compared to previous years, but the powertrain needs more refinement. <p>: : The measured 0-60 times were 6.9 seonds for the 328i and 7.6 seconds for the C230 Kompressor. <p>: 6.9 sec? they must got a slow stopwatch...<p>: Mr. 6.5'<p><p>A slow stopwatch would show a lower number, not a higher one.<br></i>

FS
01-27-1999, 02:33 PM
<i>: Isn't automatic Kompressor faster than the stick one... or am I confusing the models here...<p>: : This weird comparison test is in the latest issue of Motor Trend available on the newstands right now. They tested a 5-speed manual 328i sport against the 4-cylinder automatic C230K (no sport package). I could see a C280 Sport comparison as being more fair to Mercedes since the C230K is several grand cheaper than an automatic 328i. I guess I don't see the two cars tested competing for the same type of buyer.<p>: : Anyway, I just browsed the article. They had all great things to say about the 328i. the only negative mentioned was that the interior is still rather cold and business-like (test car had gray leather with aluminum trim). The C230 has much more power and zip compared to previous years, but the powertrain needs more refinement. <p>: : The measured 0-60 times were 6.9 seonds for the 328i and 7.6 seconds for the C230 Kompressor. <p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index